From Jazz Funk & Fusion To Acid Jazz -- The History Of The UK Jazz

JAZZ IS THE TEACHER - FUNK IS THE PREACHER

Greetings to the US jazz massive....

This is Paul Brad at Chaser Publications... I used to publish Straight No Chaser magazine - Interplanetary Sounds: Ancient to Future - and Snowboy's book 'From Jazz funk & Fusion To Acid Jazz' is our first adventure into the world of book publishing.

Snowboy is pretty anachronistic geezer... dresses like a rockabilly but is one mean conguero... band leader of the Latin Section (speaks for itself) and The Perceptions (Funk!)... he's a long-time DJ and has a monster collection of music.

This book has been ten years in the making... over 200 interviews covering the length and breadth of the UK... it's a book about the evolution of Black Music and club culture in the UK from the early 70s to the mid 90s. It's how jazz... hard core jazz - from Baptist Beat to Lonnie Smith's Expansions - crept into the Dj selections and allowed posses of serious dancers to develop a range of unique styles.

'From Jazz Funk & Fusion...' is very thorough and one look at the extensive chart pages will send you off on a listening mission and also have you wondering... 'How the fuck did they dance to that?!'

We have a blogspot you can check out... it will grow and grow... www.chaserpublications-ukjazzdance.blogspot.com/

Check the you tube clip of Venceremos (the video was done for Working Week by Julian Temple).

The book will be back on sale very soon... we did a resubmission to correct some annoying digital errors... so, you order it now it from the excellent Dusty Groove - lovely write up from a bunch of deeply knowledgeable cats - or direct from Authorhouse.com (that's where Snowboy get's the best royalty).

It's one of the wonders of the web that jazz and black music headz from Texas and elsewhere are able to check out this book... the Foreward to the book has been lovingly written by Professor Robert Farris Thompson - a genuine don - and apparently he's already ordered 70 copies for his course at Yale University.

We're just beginning with the publicity but any help you guys can give us in the States will be much appreciated. We gonna be hittin' up the Ubiquity crew, Giant Step NYC, Greg Tate, Bobbito, Rich Medina, Rude Movements, Dope Jams, Osunlade , Joaqin Claussell, Carl Craig, Stones Throw...

Spread the word. Respek...

Paul Brad @ Straight No Chaser

email: chaserimprint@gmail.com

I used to read about this U.K. scene in Wire magazine, although I don't recall a comprehensive explanation of it. It was more like snatches of infomation about young people dancing in clubs to Art Blakey albums on Blue Note.

I remember reading that information with wonder, certain that nothing like it was happening in the U.S.

It would be interesting to read a good, full length book about how this U.K. scene happened.

This book has been ten years in the making... over 200 interviews covering the length and breadth of the UK... it's a book about the evolution of Black Music and club culture in the UK from the early 70s to the mid 90s. It's how jazz... hard core jazz - from Baptist Beat to Lonnie Smith's Expansions - crept into the Dj selections and allowed posses of serious dancers to develop a range of unique styles.

Thanks for that, Paul. This is what fascinates me to no end, how jazz of this type, which certainly is danceable was danced to in the UK but hardly at all, if ata ll, here in the US.

I can certainly understand the "how" of why it happened like that, but when it comes to the "why", I'm puzzled, in spite of kinda already knowing the answer (I mean, hey "the revolution" was definitely serious business, but without dance, ultimately there is no life, so maybe the revolution might have had better success if there had been social dancing to the more "serious" music. But you can't re-do history, alas....)

And fwiw, your reply was "good enough" to convince me to go ahead and order this book. If that's just a sales pitch, hey, it's a damn good one, :g