Recommendations for a relative newbie

pradeshta

I am a relative newcomer to jazz and am looking for some suggestions for older stuff based on what I already know I like. I LOVE Lester Young. (Listening to Rahsaan Roland Kirk's version of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" right now). I have "Blue Lester" and the "Complete Aladdin Sessions," which both became immediate all time favorites. I recently picked up Count Basie's "Complete Decca Recordings" and Louis Armstrong's "Hot Fives and Sevens" on JSP Records and am just beginning to absorb these. Also really enjoy Benny Goodman's small group recordings with Teddy Wilson, Gene Krupa and Lionel Hampton.

So yeah... Suggestions? Stumbling around on Allmusic and Amazon gets old and doesn't necessarily get me where I wanna be.

I am a relative newcomer to jazz and am looking for some suggestions for older stuff based on what I already know I like. I LOVE Lester Young. (Listening to Rahsaan Roland Kirk's version of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" right now). I have "Blue Lester" and the "Complete Aladdin Sessions," which both became immediate all time favorites. I recently picked up Count Basie's "Complete Decca Recordings" and Louis Armstrong's "Hot Fives and Sevens" on JSP Records and am just beginning to absorb these. Also really enjoy Benny Goodman's small group recordings with Teddy Wilson, Gene Krupa and Lionel Hampton.

So yeah... Suggestions? Stumbling around on Allmusic and Amazon gets old and doesn't necessarily get me where I wanna be.

If you like the Goodman small group recordings you might pick up their 1963 reunion album called: "Together Again!", which has wonderful sound compared to their earlier recordings.

For more Lester Young try: "Pres and Teddy", and "Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio". Both albums are from the 50's and comparable to the Alladin recordings (however it should be said that some people really hate the late period playing of Young, but I'm not one of them). If you like those check out the five volumns of "Lester Young in Washington D.C., 1956". And if you don't mind scratchy recordings try "Lester Young Trio" (with Nat "King" Cole and Buddy Rich. Recorded in 1948).

For Roland Kirk "We Free Kings", "Rip, Rig, & Panic", and "Inflated Tear" are my favorites.

cheers

don't quite understand whether you count kirk as part of the older stuff or not... a natural next step from kirk is of course mingus (say, east coasting, mingus ah um, black saint and the sinner lady) otherwise, of course, some duke ellington... others know better what to buy there, but from my own exposure i'd start with a cd or box covering, say 1927-1930 and something covering the time around 1940... (open to suggestions there myself actually since i only have long cheapo compilations....)

I would definitely check out some Ellington - either the 'Blanton/Webster' band (for some c.1940 stuff) or one of the late 20s bands. Then, join up the dots in between 1924 and 1941 or so..!

Also, if you like Basie, Lester Young, Armstrong - I would really recommend some of the early 30s Fletcher Henderson big bands...

don't quite understand whether you count kirk as part of the older stuff or not... a natural next step from kirk is of course mingus (say, east coasting, mingus ah um, black saint and the sinner lady) otherwise, of course, some duke ellington... others know better what to buy there, but from my own exposure i'd start with a cd or box covering, say 1927-1930 and something covering the time around 1940... (open to suggestions there myself actually since i only have long cheapo compilations....)

Oops...sorry, I missed this...agree!

Some random choices of older things with some (relatively - all of this music is old in years, if not in spirit, these days) newer choices in the same vein:

If you like Basie's piano, try The Original James P. Johnson 1942-1945 (Smithsonian Folkways). From there, you might try Thelonious Monk: Thelonious Himself (Riverside) - not a huge leap. Then maybe to Earl Hines: Four Jazz Giants - farther out than Monk.

If you like Pres, you might try Warne Marsh: All Music (Nessa). Or Charlie Parker: Complete Savoy and Dial Master Takes. Or some other tenor players - Ben Webster: Soulville; At Ease with Coleman Hawkins; John Coltrane: Ballads; or Gene Ammons: Boss Tenor or Gentle Jug.

If you like Louis, try Roy Eldridge: The Nifty Cat (New World); Joe Wilder: Alone with Just My Dreams (Evening Star); or Pee Wee Russell: Swingin' with Pee Wee (Prestige) with Buck Clayton playing some great trumpet.

Django Reinhardt: Classic Early Recordings (JSP) is a great way to hear a lot of great music for a cheap price.

Unique is a word that's thrown around, but Django truly was.

The Best of Sidney Bechet (Blue Note) - Some may argue with the title, but it's great music & contains some of the first Bechet I ever heard.

Finally, a couple of drummer led bands that will make you want to get up and dance: Chick Webb: Strictly Jive (Hep) and Art Blakey: A Night at Birdland Vol. 1 & 2 (Blue Note)

Whatever you choose to listen to from anyone's recommendations, I hope you enjoy the music. It's never ending, and you'll never hear it all, but you can have fun trying.

I wasn't including Roland Kirk in the "older stuff" category; I was just noting the funny coincidence that I happened to be listening to Kirk's version of a song about Pres.

Thanks for the many great suggestions of specific titles! I've already put the Ellington, Bechet, Eldridge, Webb, Pee Wee Russell, and James P. Johnson on my wish list.

Any other suggestions for Bechet albums to pick up?

If you have or are getting some of the Blue Note recordings, you need some of his RCA Victor sides. The Legendary Sidney Bechet is a good collection and can be had cheap.

Up a Lazy River has the great quartet recordings with Muggsy Spanier.

Although I consider his early (1923-25) recordings with Clarence Williams' Blue Five, etc. stone cold masterpieces, a newcomer might be put off by the archaic sound - plus they're hard to find. There are a handful of these on the Ken Burns Bechet collection, but exploring these might be a project you save for later.

If you have or are getting some of the Blue Note recordings, you need some of his RCA Victor sides. The Legendary Sidney Bechet is a good collection and can be had cheap.

Up a Lazy River has the great quartet recordings with Muggsy Spanier.

Although I consider his early (1923-25) recordings with Clarence Williams' Blue Five, etc. stone cold masterpieces, a newcomer might be put off by the archaic sound - plus they're hard to find. There are a handful of these on the Ken Burns Bechet collection, but exploring these might be a project you save for later.

Good recs from Jeff. Here's a previous Bechet thread: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...9&hl=bechet

I wasn't including Roland Kirk in the "older stuff" category; I was just noting the funny coincidence that I happened to be listening to Kirk's version of a song about Pres.

Thanks for the many great suggestions of specific titles! I've already put the Ellington, Bechet, Eldridge, Webb, Pee Wee Russell, and James P. Johnson on my wish list.

Not Bechet, but if you like James P. Johnson give a listen to Meade Lux Lewis. If you're looking for recommendations the amount of knowledge here is incredible and folks here are mostly happy to share their knowledge.

Edited by PHILLYQ