Ellington Reprise sold out!

I missed it, but I'm not terribly disappointed. I was kind of on the fence on this one anyway, because I have the prime stuff in this set on LP. Now it's straight ahead in saving up for the JJ Johnson set.

The saga of this Ellington set has been strange. It went from Running Low to Last Chance to Sold Out very quickly, much more quickly that any other set I can think of. I remember beginning to save up for the Chico Hamilton set when it started running low and easily bagged it before it was gone. I wonder if there are still Ellington sets in the retail stores?

I'm suprised that no-one has posted a pic of a certain Lee Morgan album in this thread which shall of course be nameless.... ;)

Glad I jumped off the fence for this one before it went. I have 'Afro Bossa' and 'Concert' on a separate CD so know what to expect. Looking forward to getting my mits on the set..

During our recent on-air fundraiser I played Rhapsody In Blue from the set and had at least five calls immediately saying they had to have that. I usually don't get any. Then three or four e-mails. Then a voice message on the machine. I finally just went on the air, played it like a 45 and everytime mentioned Mosaic Records web site, and that the set was going away. It was already on the endangered species list when I started, soooo, maybe a few people in West Michigan helped this along...Lazaro

i did hesitate...

i was ready to place my order today and BUM!! wasn´t there anymore...

god i hate myself so much...

Marcus Oliveira

Cheer yourself up with thoughts of the great Ellington Columbia CD's coming in the new year.

Ellington Uptown

Blues in Orbit

Piano in the Foreground

Piano in the Background

Festival Session

and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Bet it doesn't have a snazzy booklet and box... :wacko:;)

First impressions of the Mosaic are great (just listening to disk 1 - 'Recollections of the Big Band Era' and 'Will The Big Bands Ever Come Back'). Spirited stuff, wonderful features for Hodges and Carney, especially 'Rhapsody In Blue' for the latter). This set also has the magic words 'transfered and mastered by Malcolm Addey' and it shows.

Definitely a very underestimated period for both Duke and Billy Strayhorn.

So far, a big :tup

Edited by sidewinder

WHAT IS THIS???

HMV in Edinburgh are carrying two of these warner versions of the mosiac set. It comes in a tall book form with centrally placed pages. Cover photo is the same a sthe full mosaic set. Jazzwise this month carries an add from Warner re this set. Clearly its demise from Mosaic is closely linked to its re -appearence fromWarner

I think the fact that a number of sets are in the hands of retailers may have meant that the set ended this early, earlier than one might expect if it had been just sold through Mosaic.

I've seen these in a lot of stores in the last few years; I think because it was Ellington and its release was near enough centennial time that a lot of retailers ordered copies. I'm uncertain that Mosaic WOULD sell you a set if you called; when it's over it's over is my impression.BUT there's a really good chance that one could find a set at a retail outlet at a price that was perhaps even lower than that through Mosaic. They're out there. . . I can sense them. ^_^

Edited by jazzbo