BFT74 discussion thread

I'm starting this thread off now so you all don't have to be hanging around waiting to post your thoughts.

Anyone who wants a download but hasn't posted in the sign-up thread had better ask Big Al for one. He'll be sending links around in a day or two.

I'll try and keep up with this while I'm on holiday. It'll be the first thread I look for when I sign back on.

MG

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another mostly unguessable one for me. If I had to categorise most these tracks, I wouldn't call them "jazz", but then again, I wouldn't really know what to call them. :)

1) Sounds like a college marching band! I actually kind of like this sound, but probably just because it reminds me of playing when I was a student.

9) Oh, this is the best so far! But then it goes all weepy weird on me. It's O.K. Not something I'd listen to a lot, but new and not offensive to my ears. :o) I wish the levels were set a little differently. I would have liked to hear the piano more.

13) Well, it's "I Found a New Baby". God, I know I have heard this before. I'll have to think about it a little more.

14) The Tijuana Brass play tribute to the Kinks? :)

Bonus:

4) Yeah! This has me from the first note. Is that Teddy Wilson? Ah, yes. "Moments Like This" Who's that singing, though? Nan Wynn? I think it's her.

Thanks, MG!

Another mostly unguessable one for me. If I had to categorise most these tracks, I wouldn't call them "jazz", but then again, I wouldn't really know what to call them. :)

1) Sounds like a college marching band! I actually kind of like this sound, but probably just because it reminds me of playing when I was a student.

9) Oh, this is the best so far! But then it goes all weepy weird on me. It's O.K. Not something I'd listen to a lot, but new and not offensive to my ears. :o) I wish the levels were set a little differently. I would have liked to hear the piano more.

13) Well, it's "I Found a New Baby". God, I know I have heard this before. I'll have to think about it a little more.

14) The Tijuana Brass play tribute to the Kinks? :)

Bonus:

4) Yeah! This has me from the first note. Is that Teddy Wilson? Ah, yes. "Moments Like This" Who's that singing, though? Nan Wynn? I think it's her.

Thanks, MG!

A quick SHAZAM! for bonus #4 Yes. It's Nan Wynn.

Got to confess - I had the BFT on my ipod, so I could check what people were talking about while I'm here in the US, but I accidentally erased it.

MG

Now I know which one you were talking about (I've got my list of tracks now :)) I can say you'd have liked to have heard the piano even MORE when you see who's playing it.

From what you say, it could be that the CD I took it off may not be the best version (cheapo reissue) and perhaps someone will know a better issue I can look for.

MG

I am enjoying this BFT a great deal. It is a lot of fun to play in the car.

I think that the second bonus song is Ruth Brown, "If I Can't Sell It" from the "Blues on Broadway" album.

I am working on some of the others!

Glad to hear you like it.

You've got one right. I told you you wouldn't be stumped by them all. Wanna mention the band?

MG

Even though I'm in New Orleans, I've managed to take enough time out from eating too much, drinking too much, buying too many records, and hearing lots of music to listen to the first half of this BFT. I'll avoid reading the thread until I've listened to the rest.

1. Maceo Parker with the Rebirth Brass Band playing “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy.” Good pairing of musicians – they work well together. The impact of the Rebirth live is almost overwhelming. The intensity doesn’t let up, and they’re the loudest unamplified band I’ve ever heard in my life. Maceo’s playing proves the truth of George Clinton’s adage: “Funk is its own reward.”

2. Don’t have a clue who the guitarist is. The trumpet player sure sounds like Freddie Hubbard, but it could just be someone who has learned his FH lessons well. I can’t place the tenor player, but I feel like I’m going to kick myself when I find out who it is. I like his rough edges and personal tone. All the solos are good - this is excellent improvising in a setting which I find slick and annoying.

3. Very nice - the organist knows all the tricks, and the altoist is very soulful. He uses the common alto sax trick of playing just a little sharp to give an extra edge to his sound. I don’t know who it is, but the song is by George Gershwin and his lovely wife Ira. (Has that old joke appeared on this forum before?) I’d listen to this again.

4. Nice guitar playing – his/her solo flows well, is imaginative, and swings. I don’t like the clarinetist as much – too straight on the melody and too forced on his solo. Once again, no idea who it is.

5. I’ve always liked this song – “Baby, Won’t You Please Come Home.” I don’t know this version, but I’ve got a guess based on deductive reasoning. It sounds like Ray Charles’ band, but there’s no piano. Could it be Ray on alto? It’s soulful without being very technical. In any case, pretty cool.

6. I’m not a dancer, but this would be a blast to dance to. Pretty straight and soulful with a solid beat. I could do without the echo, but it probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Tab Smith?

7. Just when I decided that I didn’t like this, it got more interesting – the variations leading to the trumpet solo. Overall, this is too showbiz-y for my tastes. The organ sound at the beginning is about the nastiest I’ve ever heard.

8. A different way to play “Moonlight Serenade.” I like it, but I’m a little scared to guess who it is. I reserve the right to berate myself later.

9. “Floyd’s Guitar Blues” by Floyd Smith with Andy Kirk’s Orchestra. Odd and cool. I’ve always thought that if I could no longer play a wind instrument, I’d take up steel guitar.

Some cool stuff here. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Three right so far Jeff.

Even though I'm in New Orleans, I've managed to take enough time out from eating too much, drinking too much, buying too many records, and hearing lots of music to listen to the first half of this BFT. I'll avoid reading the thread until I've listened to the rest.

1. Maceo Parker with the Rebirth Brass Band playing “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy.” Good pairing of musicians – they work well together. The impact of the Rebirth live is almost overwhelming. The intensity doesn’t let up, and they’re the loudest unamplified band I’ve ever heard in my life. Maceo’s playing proves the truth of George Clinton’s adage: “Funk is its own reward.”

Right! Of course, being in NO just now, I dare say you've caught this band. I dug the quote from "Up for the down stroke" behind the trombonist.

2. Don’t have a clue who the guitarist is. The trumpet player sure sounds like Freddie Hubbard, but it could just be someone who has learned his FH lessons well. I can’t place the tenor player, but I feel like I’m going to kick myself when I find out who it is. I like his rough edges and personal tone. All the solos are good - this is excellent improvising in a setting which I find slick and annoying.

Yes, you are going to kick yourself. Sorry you don't like the setting.

3. Very nice - the organist knows all the tricks, and the altoist is very soulful. He uses the common alto sax trick of playing just a little sharp to give an extra edge to his sound. I don’t know who it is, but the song is by George Gershwin and his lovely wife Ira. (Has that old joke appeared on this forum before?) I’d listen to this again.

Another I suspect you may be kicking yourself later.. Listen to it again :)

4. Nice guitar playing – his/her solo flows well, is imaginative, and swings. I don’t like the clarinetist as much – too straight on the melody and too forced on his solo. Once again, no idea who it is.

Glad you like this.

5. I’ve always liked this song – “Baby, Won’t You Please Come Home.” I don’t know this version, but I’ve got a guess based on deductive reasoning. It sounds like Ray Charles’ band, but there’s no piano. Could it be Ray on alto? It’s soulful without being very technical. In any case, pretty cool.

Not bad Jeff.

6. I’m not a dancer, but this would be a blast to dance to. Pretty straight and soulful with a solid beat. I could do without the echo, but it probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Tab Smith?

Yes, it's Tab. Do you know the record? The echo was a trademark of the producer and I'm sure you've come across it before.

7. Just when I decided that I didn’t like this, it got more interesting – the variations leading to the trumpet solo. Overall, this is too showbiz-y for my tastes. The organ sound at the beginning is about the nastiest I’ve ever heard.

Of course, I like a bit of showbiz :)

Does "nasty" mean you don't like it or that it's NASTY?

8. A different way to play “Moonlight Serenade.” I like it, but I’m a little scared to guess who it is. I reserve the right to berate myself later.

It's nice. Berating comes later.

9. “Floyd’s Guitar Blues” by Floyd Smith with Andy Kirk’s Orchestra. Odd and cool. I’ve always thought that if I could no longer play a wind instrument, I’d take up steel guitar.

Yes, that's correct. And, for Alex' benefit, the pianist is Mary Lou Williams.

Glad you're enjoying (most) of this.

MG

You were right: now I really want to hear more of the piano!

As for 13: I'm pretty sure it's McKinney's Cotton Pickers from '29. It took me way too long to recognise this. Such a wonderful track.

As for 13: I'm pretty sure it's McKinney's Cotton Pickers from '29. It took me way too long to recognise this. Such a wonderful track.

Yes, that;s correct. I love John Nesbit's arrangement for this. Incredibly groovy and greasy for '29.

MG

I am enjoying this BFT a great deal. It is a lot of fun to play in the car.

I think that the second bonus song is Ruth Brown, "If I Can't Sell It" from the "Blues on Broadway" album.

I am working on some of the others!

Glad to hear you like it.

You've got one right. I told you you wouldn't be stumped by them all. Wanna mention the band?

MG

Ruth Brown (vocals); Rodney Jones (guitar, banjo); Hank Crawford (alto saxophone); Red Holloway (tenor saxophone); Spanky Davis (trumpet); Britt Woodman (trombone); Bobby Forrester (piano, organ); Al McKibbon (acoustic bass); Grady Tate (drums).

The third bonus song is Irene Reid, singing Jimmy Webb's composition "Didn't We", from her "Million Dollar Secret" album.

With Irene are Charles Earland (organ), Eric Alexander (tenor sax), Jim Rotundi (trumpet), Bob DeVos (guitar), Greg Rockingham (drums).

I love the spoken intro!

Here are my general impressions of this most excellent Blindfold Test

1. I see that this is Maceo Parker and the Rebirth Brass Band doing "Mercy Mercy Mercy". I love stuff like this. This is a real treat.

2. This one really has me scratching my head. A 1970s fusion version of "Nardis". It sounds like a CTI album. The trumpet player sounds like Freddie Hubbard. But there is no version of "Nardis" in the CTI or Hubbard discographies, that I can find.

I love the sound of this piece. "Nardis" is too often done as a bop standard. This version brings out the mystery and "Middle East" quality of the piece. I just can't figure out who it is! When I find out, I have to buy this album.

3. Summertime, a nice saxophone/organ version. I have no idea who it is.

4. Ain't Misbehavin'. I really like this guitar/clarinet version. Again, I don't know who it is.

5. I like this one a lot, but have no idea who it could be.

6. I see that Tab Smith has been identified here. I did not know.

7. I love this! Who would mix Hendrix-like guitar, funky organ, big band, and a hot trumpet solo? Whoever it is, I want to buy this! Very exciting, very interesting to me.

8. Moonlight Serenade, but I have no idea who it is. Very tasty solos!

9. I see that this has been identified, and I could not have identified it. Fascinating. I did not know that the steel guitar had been used in a context like this, so early on--or ever for that matter.

10. I MUST have this album! African vocals on a swinging version of "Night Train." Who is this? What is this? I love it! I hope that this is generally available for purchase and not a 78 single you bought in Senegal from a pressing of 200 copies or something like that.

11. This sounds like South African jazz. There is a characteristic Abdullah Ibrahim lick toward the end, although I am not sure that it is him. I like this one a lot, and am looking forward to learning who it is.

12. A faster version of Maiden Voyage. It sounds like the organ player's date. The first tenor sax player is particularly hot--I thought of Billy Harper for a moment as he was soloing. The second sax soloist has a softer tone but is also very compelling.

13. I do not know who is performing this version of "I Found a New Baby."

14. Very interesting. I have no idea, but want to know who it is. Your Reveal will be very illuminating.

15. Another excellent cut that has me stumped, with some possible involvement of Africa.

BONUS CUTS

1. This one has me really frustrated. I know that I know this voice, but I just can't place it. What an interesting lyric--is he saying "route man"? If so, I wonder what a "route man" was, at that time.

2. I have identified this one as Ruth Brown.

3. I have thrown a guess out there in an earlier post, as Irene Reid.

4. I see that this has been identified. I did not know it.

Overall, a great BFT, both interesting and fun to listen to! I genuinely enjoy each and every song here.

Here's the rest:

10. Night Train to Senegal. Very unusual – like nothing I’ve heard before. But it works. Looking forward to finding out more about this.

11. Well, I’ve failed to identify Dudu Pukwana on two BFTs, so I’m going to go ahead and guess that it’s him playing alto. I like this fiery solo a lot. I like the tenor player, too. The setting kind of reeks of the seventies, but that’s okay – so do I.

12. Okay, I can’t wait to find out more about this version of “Maiden Voyage.” I want to try to find this. I’m totally unfamiliar with it, but I love it!

13. I didn’t want to miss this one – I knew it was a version I had in my collection, but I’m 500 miles away from my records. After a couple of listens, I realized that it was McKinney’s Cotton Pickers, one of my favorite bands from that period. They swing as hard as any band with a tuba/banjo rhythm section that I’ve ever hard. I’m not going to try to identify the soloists, except that it sounds like it could be Joe Smith behind the vocal.

14. Another cool, unusual selection that I don’t have a clue about. Hey – the saxes moved. How’d they get over there?

15. More wonderful weirdness. I’m a real neophyte when it comes to African music, so I’m looking forward to the details on this.

BT 1. Lots of fun, with some wild saxophoning. I assume that the saxophone player is also the singer, but I don’t know who it is. I’m not going to mess with him or his root man, though.

BT2. I thought it might be Jeanne and Jimmy Cheatham, but since it’s “Ruth’s place,” I'm assuming it's Miss Brown to you. More good fun. Whoever it is, her timing is perfect.

BT3. Worth it just for the opening rap. Excellent tenor playing in the second half.

BT4. Sounds like a Teddy Wilson group – Billie Holiday was not the only singer who recorded with him. Definitely Pee Wee Russell on clarinet. The alto sounds like Tab Smith’s earlier style to me. The trumpet is not prominent, but my best guess would be Buck Clayton, based on what I can hear behind the singer. The tenor player plays it too straight for me to make a guess. Verrrrry nice.

This blindfold test was a blast. There was nothing I really disliked; it was all interesting, and several tracks knocked me out. Thanks, MG.

Now let me read the rest of the thread and see if I've made a fool of myself.

Edited by jeffcrom

OK, as usual I have almost nothing, but here goes:

1. "Mercy Mercy Mercy". I have no idea who this is and I'm not that keen. I couldn't work out why for a while, then I thought - way too much brass in one go for me.

3. "Summertime" obviously. The alto sounds vaguely familiar, a bit Sonny Criss-like, but I've never heard a Sonny Criss organ record. The organist sounds "old-timey", not a Jimmy Smith-type; again no clue.

4. I love this! It has a very English sound, to me anyway. Conjures up sunny Sunday afternoons, village greens and all that. Is the guitarist Martin Taylor?

6. The alto sounds like Johnny Hodges, but I don't think it is - not quite sweet enough.

7. "Green Onions". The organist is dirty! Don't know who though.

8. I heard the needle drop. "Moonlight Serenade". This is bugging me, must be 1960s, it has that Prestige vibe.. I KNOW I have heard this organist before, but I can't think who it is.

I'm going to kick myself I'm sure.

12. Another needle drop, another 1960s sounding recording. "Maiden Voyage" with 2 tenors. I like this, and feel I should know the tenor players, especially the second.

I enjoyed this very much MG, thank you!

After reading the above:

I'll listen to track 3 again for sure.

I don't think track 2 is "Nardis," although it has some of the same melodic shape.

And "nasty" is a good thing when it comes to Hammond organs!

I played the Bill Evans Riverside recording of "Nardis" and then Track 2 back to back, and Track 2 sounded like the same song to me. But maybe it's not--maybe that explains why I can't find any reference to it in any discographies, as I am looking under "Nardis."

After reading the above:

I don't think track 2 is "Nardis," although it has some of the same melodic shape.

I played the Bill Evans Riverside recording of "Nardis" and then Track 2 back to back, and Track 2 sounded like the same song to me. But maybe it's not--maybe that explains why I can't find any reference to it in any discographies, as I am looking under "Nardis."

We eagerly await the ruling of The Magnificent One himself.

Whatta blast this was! Perfect for driving around and cruisin’! On to the cluelessness!

A01: Mercy, mercy, whatta joyous “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy!” No clue who this is, but I wanna know NOW!!!

A02: My guess is a group consisting of Freddie Hubbard and Junior Cook doing “Delilah” (ehhh... maybe “doing” is the wrong word; how about “performing?”) for CTI. One small problem: I have almost every CTI by Hubbard and none of those has this song, and no discography I’ve checked says anything about Hubbard doing this song, either on his own or for someone else. Not to mention the fact that the guitarist is definitely NOT George Benson, but I can’t tell who it is. So, I reserve the right to appeal the correct answer on charges of impersonating another genre! Of course, that will make procuring the album a little more difficult once the answers are revealed, but if given the choice between being right and finding a record, I’d.... hmm, hafta give this a little more thought! :lol:

A03: "Summertime!" Y’know what’s sad is that this ain’t available in any form right now. But I guess that’s true of a lot of jazz reissues. Solo JOS is a rarity, and truly a wonder to behold, and Lou cooks nicely without overplaying, which is especially important in this context.

A04: Arrghh!!! I wanna say “These Foolish Things,” but then the chorus comes around again to tell me it ain’t. What IS a boy to do? And double-drat: I can remember hearing another song in a similar setting (acoustic guitar and clarinet) on KNTU, calling them up to find out who it was, and now I’m drawing a blank on who they said. Maybe it’ll hit me later in the BFT.

Ha ha ha ha haaaa!!! I can’t believe I wrote that with a straight face!

A05: Sounds like Duke Ellington from The Cosmic Scene. I’m basing this on Mosaic’s description of the CD, and not on having actually heard the album. There’s very little piano, but I’m not sure that means anything. The horn phrasing just sounds so Dukish.

A06: I *so* wanna say a Johnny Hodges-led Ellington-type group like what he did on Johnny Hodges with Billy Strayhorn and THE Orchestra. But I know it’s not from that album. It could’ve been, though! Can’t wait to find out!

A07: “Green Onions” fresh from the garden! Is this from that Steve Cropper album from a year or so ago? All kindsa funky, groovy, greeeeeazy, sweaty, and nasty (and by “nasty” I mean “sweet!”). All that’s missing is the crowded bar!

A08: Crud. I’ve heard this. Oh, who the heck does this? (I mean, besides Glenn Miller, wiseguys!) AAARRGGGHHH!!! I know I’ve heard this before! I’m gonna be kicking myself once I find this out, and probably kick myself harder if I own this!

A09: This is getting sick! I know I’ve heard this before, too!!! That guitar! AIIEEE!!! I’m thinking of something I heard years ago on one of those “Columbia Blues Classics” CDs that came out years ago (oh, I wish I still had that “Big Three Trio” disc!).

A10: Boy, am I gonna feel dumb for not knowing the title of this off the t.... oh wait, “Night Train.” Duhhhhhhh! No idea who it is, but it sure is cool!

A11: Well, I thought it was from Hugh Masekela’s Home is Where the Music Is, which would’ve marked a second time that this happened: the BFT after mine features another song from an album I used on my BFT. But, it ain’t that, not with that electric guitar on there. {{{sigh}}} I know I’ve heard this, too. Or maybe I’m just imagining things. But that sure sounds like Dudu Pukwana on the alto.

A12: This whole BFT is turning into déjà vu for me. I know I’ve heard this version of “Maiden Voyage” as well! Maybe a search will turn up something later....

A13: Oyyyy! So many good tracks, so many tracks I know I’ve heard and should know, and I’m batting .000 here. That trumpet player sounds like he’s from the Goodman orchestra. “I’ve Found a New Baby.” Thought it was Fats there for a second, but the fidelity is too good. Plus, well, that just ain’t him, but it sure conjures his spirit! Can’t wait to find out who this is!

A14: Silly me: I thought MG had gotten ahold of one of my distorted bass-playing outtakes from my BFT 73! I wish! :lol: No clue, but I wanna know.

A15: Nice late-night blues groove here. Rhythm guitar for some reason reminds me of Keith Richards circa Sticky Fingers. Maybe it’s an outtake from that session? Y’okay.... the singers have just convinced me it ain’t. Maybe. Who knows what kind of drugs they were taking back then? This does sound like the kind of thing one might record if they’d consumed copious amounts of alcohol, played the blues until 3:00 am, let the tape roll and slur whatever comes to mind. I gotta talk to my next-door neighbor about an idea I have.....

Allan, you outdid yourself here. None of these tracks is going on the ever-expanding Best of BFT because these tracks will be put on their own disc, which will be taking its place next to my BFT’s and a few select BFT’s that I’ve enjoyed from start to finish (20, 28, and disc 2 of BFT 18) that occupy space on the highly coveted CD-shelf!

Oops! Forgot the bonus trax! Well, that’s okay, I don’t know any of ‘em, but that’s cool. One of ‘em’s gotta be Ruth Brown, unless there’s another soul-singin’ Ruth out there that I don’t know of. Good stuff all the way ‘round, tho!

Some cool stuff here. I'm looking forward to the rest.

1. Please please PLEASE PM the name of the album to me! I can't wait until the end of the month, especially if the rest of the album is as good as this!

5. Well, that would explain my comment about not being able to hear a piano! :D

8. Is this the line for "later beratings?" I have my number.... ;)

9. No kidding? Well.... now I don't feel so bad for not knowing this one. Still, I wish I knew why this sounded so familiar.

Yes, that;s correct. I love John Nesbit's arrangement for this. Incredibly groovy and greasy for '29.

MG

No shit??? This is from 1929???? :blink: Man, who engineered this? Is this guy still alive? This sounds better than a lotta CDs on the market right now!

11. Well, I’ve failed to identify Dudu Pukwana on two BFTs, so I’m going to go ahead and guess that it’s him playing alto. I like this fiery solo a lot. I like the tenor player, too. The setting kind of reeks of the seventies, but that’s okay – so do I.

:lol:

Great minds think alike! Either that or we're just fulla Dudu! :g

After reading the above:

We eagerly await the ruling of The Magnificent One himself.

It's not "Nardis" but another classic jazz tune.

Edit - Ah, and I see now that Big Al correctly identified the tune as Clifford Brown's @Delilah@ @" are reversed on US keyboards - please read them the other way round :)

MG

The third bonus song is Irene Reid, singing Jimmy Webb's composition "Didn't We", from her "Million Dollar Secret" album.

With Irene are Charles Earland (organ), Eric Alexander (tenor sax), Jim Rotundi (trumpet), Bob DeVos (guitar), Greg Rockingham (drums).

I love the spoken intro!

Quite right. I love the intro, too. She recorded this in 1971, with another intro, though a few elements of the rap were retained for this version with the Earland band.

MG

No shit??? This is from 1929???? :blink: Man, who engineered this? Is this guy still alive? This sounds better than a lotta CDs on the market right now!

Since I've gotten so heavily into 78s the past year, I've really noticed how much better Victor's recordings sounded than any other company. I'm talking just about any era - their 1915 acoustics sound better than anyone else for the time; likewise for their post-1925 electrical recordings.

7. I love this! Who would mix Hendrix-like guitar, funky organ, big band, and a hot trumpet solo? Whoever it is, I want to buy this! Very exciting, very interesting to me.

I have a feeling this might not be terribly easy to find. There is quite a bit of material in this vein on the album, though.

10. I MUST have this album! African vocals on a swinging version of "Night Train." Who is this? What is this? I love it! I hope that this is generally available for purchase and not a 78 single you bought in Senegal from a pressing of 200 copies or something like that.

Generally available and in print in US and Europe.

11. This sounds like South African jazz. There is a characteristic Abdullah Ibrahim lick toward the end, although I am not sure that it is him. I like this one a lot, and am looking forward to learning who it is.

Yes to South Africa, no to Abdullah Ibrahim.

1. This one has me really frustrated. I know that I know this voice, but I just can't place it. What an interesting lyric--is he saying "route man"? If so, I wonder what a "route man" was, at that time.

As Jeff identified later, it's spelt "root man" :)

Overall, a great BFT, both interesting and fun to listen to! I genuinely enjoy each and every song here.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

MG

Not Dudu this time :) Dudu was pretty influential, but this guy is a lot less fiery than Dudu. Seventies is correct.

13. I didn’t want to miss this one – I knew it was a version I had in my collection, but I’m 500 miles away from my records. After a couple of listens, I realized that it was McKinney’s Cotton Pickers, one of my favorite bands from that period. They swing as hard as any band with a tuba/banjo rhythm section that I’ve ever hard. I’m not going to try to identify the soloists, except that it sounds like it could be Joe Smith behind the vocal.

Not Joe Smith (from memory - I'm 3,000 miles from my collection - Joe Smith didn't join the band until later). It's the arranger, John Nesbitt doing the solo and the obligato.

BT 1. Lots of fun, with some wild saxophoning. I assume that the saxophone player is also the singer, but I don’t know who it is. I’m not going to mess with him or his root man, though.

Yes, a singing sax player.

BT2. I thought it might be Jeanne and Jimmy Cheatham, but since it’s “Ruth’s place,” I'm assuming it's Miss Brown to you. More good fun. Whoever it is, her timing is perfect.

Hot Ptah got this one.

BT3. Worth it just for the opening rap. Excellent tenor playing in the second half.

HP got this one, too. For those who think Eric Alexander doesn't know the language :g

(Yes, OK, he often doesn't, but this time he did.)

BT4. Sounds like a Teddy Wilson group – Billie Holiday was not the only singer who recorded with him. Definitely Pee Wee Russell on clarinet. The alto sounds like Tab Smith’s earlier style to me. The trumpet is not prominent, but my best guess would be Buck Clayton, based on what I can hear behind the singer. The tenor player plays it too straight for me to make a guess. Verrrrry nice.

I haven't got the personnel details with me, but you're right about Tab Smith (again :))

This blindfold test was a blast. There was nothing I really disliked; it was all interesting, and several tracks knocked me out. Thanks, MG.

Glad you enjoyed it.

MG