Ellington and Grapelli

Leeway

Picked up an LP of "Duke Ellington's Jazz Violin Session," with Ellington on piano, Grappelli and Ray Nance on violin, Svend Asmussen on viola, Ernie Shepard, bass, Sam Woodward, drums. This group is augmented on Side 2 of the LP with Russell Procope, alto, Paul Gonsalves, tenor, Buster Cooper, trombone. Billy Strayhorn sits in on two songs.

There is some really tasty playing on this session. I've always liked Ellington's piano playing in small group sessions. The violins and viola give this a different flavor from other small group sessions. Great songs and playing all around. Anyone else have this album?

Edited by Leeway

This session is in the Ellington Reprise Mosaic, so I imagine a lot of people here have it. I have the set, but purchased it just a few weeks before it went OOP and haven't gotten around to listening to this session yet. Would love to hear other comments, however.

This is a fantastic session, been a favorite of mine from the first minutes I heard it! I love Svend's tenor violin (I think that is what it is) here and I have sought out others of his, and I really am a big fan of his playing. I'm not the hugest of Grapelli fans, but he turns out a great performance here. And Nance has always been a favorite, on violin, on voice, on trumpet---he was an amazing player so full of warm sound. From the recording I also get an impression that this was a project that Ellington was excited about as well. (I like the offshoot sessions he produced for Reprise, this, the Bud Powell, the Dollar Brand and the Benjamin). This is a great session and a highlight of the Reprise set---listen to it SOON Vibes! B)

Edited by jazzbo

Is that another tenor violin, Lon? This instrument came up on the Verve Gil Evans sessions (on the "Invividualism of Gil Evans" CD), played there by Harry Lookofsky. On the old BN board, I asked what the instrument is, and was told that it is a large, almost cello-sized deeper string instrument, about an octave below the regular violin. It is not a viola, and it has a kind of dark, husky tone. I forget which notes the strings are tuned to.

Not heard very often - that Evans album is the only one that I have where it can be heard. Harry is listed as playing it on the album called "Jobim", but it is not audible.