Eddie Condon Town Hall Concerts

clandy44

The sound on all of these is pretty darned decent really, with the exception being the first one; that has a worn source, but great music.

I really don't remember them as specific volumes standing out. . . . I really can honestly say I like them all, and some may be better than others because of a favorite player being on board or so. . . .

Back about three or so years ago Barnes and Nobles had these mispriced as 13.99 each, not seeming to notice that they were two cd sets. . . I took advantage of that!

I've got the one on Stash, which wasn't really part of the Town Hall series, but pretty damn good, I think. and the Fats Waller Memorial set, also pretty damn good.

I am of the opinoion that these concerts were a highlight in the history of radio: Condon's a great host, the musis is of a high caliber, and occasionally someting really remarakable happens. I'm buying more--I'll tell you when I run into a bad one.

(Though I'd wish they'd track out the songs rather than giveing each show as one big chunk.)

--eric

All the volumes are GREAT! I started with volume 1 and was hooked, bought another and another. Volumes 10 & 11 seem to be available only directly from Jazzology (or True Blue Music). Eddie Condon certainly brought in many top musicians for these performances and also allowing each to display their solo abilities. Even the commentary and Eddie's (and Fred Robbins?) jabs at Pee Wee Russell and the occasional whiney noises Pee Wee makes with his clarinet in response are 'interesting' and humorous. Lee Wiley's infrequent vocal features make you treasure her appearances on these records even more.

I'm hooked too. Listening to my first volume, no.3, and there is much to love. First, the range of musicians is terrific-Condon like Goodman was color blind. Fun to hear Condon speak to Willie the Lion as Bill in a warm, conversational tone. Second, the performances sound great, although my first listen is on my sub-par office Bose thingy. The playing is at once tight and loose, and Jazzology has done a nice job on the recording production. Condon is a good emcee, and keeps things loose while plugging where the guys are now appearing ("Benny Morton is down at the Cafe Society this week...."). Plus, for Lee Wiley fans, there is some nice stuff which I don't have elsewhere. Only complaint-the cd is comprised of two tracks, one for the first half hour show and the one for the second one. Unless you have a fast forward button, stopping the cd means you have to start all over at the beginning of the track-in other words, there is not a track for each song. Minor nit. Highly recommend if you like jazz music of the 1940s, combing Chicago and dixie elements with things like Willie playing the Polonaise!