AOW: Mar.7-13: Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator

king ubu

Well, let's try to get the album of the week thing going again!

I always thought this was a welcome opportunity to listen to some things that may have been in my collection a long time, or to get acquainted with some new stuff, either buying it in time (the Garbarek/Stenson album, for instance), or afterwards (the Louis Armstrong one). Then it's always interesting to read what you guys have to say about some stuff I like/love/hate/don't care etc. Sometimes one's opinion might change with help of what others have to say.

In hoping for a good start, I would suggest to leave this week open (one more doesn't matter too much now), and try to begin coming sunday with this album:

B000005H19.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

One of my favorite Lee Morgan albums. I ordered it with my first Trueblue package (which was huge, to save customs, and then I was still paying with IMO, so the bigger the package, the fewer the costs...)

I loved it ever since I listened to it first. And if memory serves me right, I only had "The Sidewinder" before, maybe "The Rumproller", too.

I ever since been a fan of Morgan.

Would be great if some of you could chime in, share your opinion on this album, post some short reviews etc - just like the old days B)

For those who did not yet buy this one: Amazon has it with 24hrs delivery (18$, only 5 left)

CDUniverse has it cheaper (14.29$ - quite a good price for a Conn, I think)

Would be a pleasure if AOTW would be rolling again!

And let me nominate Claude for picking the next one - he never had the chance so far.

ubu

A great album. I will certainly revisit it.

This was my very first album with Lee as the leader. I had the choice between the TOCJ of JacMac's Action!!! and the TOCJ of the Procrastinator. My choice fell on the Morgan title. I did not regret that during the one week it took me to go to back the store and pick up Action!!! as well.

And Ubu: Thanks for putting this on its legs again. Did you PM Claude? I believe Undergroundagent wanted to have a go as well.

A great album. I will certainly revisit it.

This was my very first album with Lee as the leader. I had the choice between the TOCJ of JacMac's Action!!! and the TOCJ of the Procrastinator. My choice fell on the Morgan title. I did not regret that during the one week it took me to go to back the store and pick up Action!!! as well.

And Ubu: Thanks for putting this on its legs again. Did you PM Claude? I believe Undergroundagent wanted to have a go as well.

I'll PM Claude and tell him about undergroundagent.

Hope you'll chime in next week!

Didn't let it begin this week, so if some want to pick the album up, they still have the time to so.

ubu

A timely thread. I've had the Toshiba CD for some years but just recently came across the 180g vinyl version that was issued with the Conns in a second-hand shop. A very fine session and quite atmospheric in a 'Search For The New Land' kind of way. The two tracks which have always stood out to me are Wayne's 'Dear Sir' and 'Rio', which both have a sort of quiet, searching quality that reminds me a lot of Miles' 2nd Quintet. Interestingly, I recall reading in the sleeve notes that 'Nefertiti' was being recorded by this line-up almost concurrently with these sessions and the presence of Messrs Shorter, Hancock and Carter certainly bring out the similarities to both 'Nefertiti' and 'Sorcerer'. Yes, one of both Morgan's and Shorters best BN dates this one. Strange that it doesn't get more plaudits though in the Penguin Guide.

:tup

For vinyl-frontierfetishists, The 180g Conn sounds very good and is well worth picking up.

Edited by sidewinder

...The two tracks which have always stood out to me are Wayne's 'Dear Sir' and 'Rio', which both have a sort of quiet, searching quality that reminds me a lot of Miles' 2nd Quintet. Interestingly, I recall reading in the sleeve notes that 'Nefertiti' was being recorded by this line-up almost concurrently with these sessions and the presence of Messrs Shorter, Hancock and Carter certainly bring out the similarities to both 'Nefertiti' and 'Sorcerer'. Yes, one of both Morgan's and Shorters best BN dates this one. Strange that it doesn't get more plaudits though in the Penguin Guide.

For vinyl-frontierfetishists, The 180g Conn sounds very good and is well worth picking up.

Glad you like my choice, and forgive me to just jump ahead here, but it's a pity in my opinion that AOTW got lost.

"Dear Sir" is the track I remember as outstanding, too. Your remarks are quite fitting, in my opinion.

I had no idea this was out on Conn LP! Might be one I'd like to have on LP and CD. A beautiful sounding date!

ubu

...The two tracks which have always stood out to me are Wayne's 'Dear Sir' and 'Rio', which both have a sort of quiet, searching quality that reminds me a lot of Miles' 2nd Quintet. Interestingly, I recall reading in the sleeve notes that 'Nefertiti' was being recorded by this line-up almost concurrently with these sessions and the presence of Messrs Shorter, Hancock and Carter certainly bring out the similarities to both 'Nefertiti' and 'Sorcerer'. Yes, one of both Morgan's and Shorters best BN dates this one. Strange that it doesn't get more plaudits though in the Penguin Guide.

Glad you like my choice, and forgive me to just jump ahead here, but it's a pity in my opinion that AOTW got lost.

"Dear Sir" is the track I remember as outstanding, too. Your remarks are quite fitting, in my opinion.

I had no idea this was out on Conn LP! Might be one I'd like to have on LP and CD. A beautiful sounding date!

ubu

Ubu - I didn't realise it was out on a vinyl Conn either until I saw the copy in the shop. It has a 1995 date on the back and the pressing and inner sleeve are identical to Mosaic Q-LPs of that vintage. In other words - A MUTHA !! :D

I've had this one since it first came out as part of a "Blue Note Classics" double lp. I couldn't have made a big impression at the time as it's sat on the shelf ever since. I get the Conn, a few weeks ago and I just got around to giving it a couple of spins. My first impression was seriously wrong. This is a great session, maybe it's because of the heavyweight band or perhaps it's that the compositions are above average. Whatever it's fine and maybe the best of Lee's later sesions.

Well, it really turns out that this might be the absolute favourite of Lee's albums, for me!

As I did start the whole thing, I felt obliged to use my lousy reviewer skills, and write up some bits while listening this afternoon. Here you are:

(Stop reading if it gets too boring, and wait for Mr Sangrey's much more eloquent raves...)

The title tune makes for a great mysterious opening. Nice vibes, bowed bass and the haunting theme with fills by Hancock set the mood. The repetition of the theme brings the beat, Higgins rather laid back, yet kicking. The bridge builds steam, listen to Hancock on the bridge during Lee?s solo!

Morgan has a beautiful sound here. Shorter enters in Coltrane-fashion. Carter goes way deep to the bottom. Hutcherson fits right into the mood ? another great bridge during his solo!

Hancock then comes to the fore with a great linear solo, with minimal comping only. Then the theme again. Check Herbie once more playing around the repetition. Love it!

Party Time is only a slight change of pace. The staccato theme could be from Horace Silver. Yet the presentation fits into the mood set by The Procrastinator. Shorter starts the solos, thoughtful, building, with no hurry. Lee pick up right where Shorter ends, Herbie gets funky beneath him (is Morgan slightly off-mike?). The mood again fits Hutcherson ? his solo passage reminds me of the quartet albums he made with Hancock, ?Happenings? and ?Oblique?.

Dear Sir is the masterpiece of the date. Another highly evocative composition. Sound like the Miles Quintet with Hutch sitting in.

Dig the arpeggio by Hancock!

Shorter?s solo starts (and stays) great. Check how he plays with thematic motives, how he modulates (as Trane does on his Flamenco Sketches-solo on Miles? ?Kind of Blue?). Hutcherson and Hancock stay in the mood, Morgan plays a great solo, with a beautiful sound again. And Billy Higgins is a master with the brushes. Again that haunting piano arpeggio on the out chorus.

Magisterial music this is.

Stop Start hits a good groove right away. We?re back to more usual Blue Note style here, for the first time on this album. Yet still there?s something special emerging during the string of solos. I guess it could be Herbie Hancock?s great accompaniment. Higgins gets rather busy here ? listen to his great playing during Shorter?s solo. Herbie?s sooo lyrical, even on a fast tune like this. Higgins gets his chance to blow during the fours with Morgan ? a good bridge to return to the theme.

Carter sets the mood for Rio with deep lines, great woody sound. Hancock again embellishes the theme statements, he?s on top of his game, having a great day.

Shorter?s short solo is pensive, as is Lee?s ? I love Lee playing like this, not showing off, but concentrating on melody and mood.

Love that coda, too!

Listening to the theme of Soft Touch, it becomes clear for me that Herbie Hancock is very important for the success of the music on this album. Lee again takes it very easy. Hutcherson fits in perfectly. Shorter gets a great sound on the low end of his horn?s spectrum. Rather gruff. Dig that repeated phrase ? you can really hear him thinking here.

Higgins turns in some great support during Hancock?s solo.

A haunting melody, this Soft Touch!

A perfect closer for an extremely lyrical album.

ubu

I tried listening to the album blind (practising for BFT!) as regards composers and surprised myself by getting five of the six right. It was a fair bet that Morgan wrote most of course. However, I thought “Rio” sounded like Hutcherson or Hancock but it was written, as was “Dear Sir”, by Shorter. So my score was really one lucky guess and one wrong guess.

An excellent choice of album for me – right in my favourite area. All the tunes sound nice and the whole thing gels. Morgan’s playing, it always seemed to me, did sometimes edge into the same pitfall that befell Dizzy – “I am a really great player (true in both cases of course) and therefore everything I play is necessarily great and so sometimes I don’t have to bother trying too much”. Morgan often resorted his stock of favourite phrases but on this album the tendency is not much in evidence - except perhaps in the fours with Higgins on #4 where his fourth four is very familiar and first, fifth and seventh of the eight fours somewhat less so. I suppose one must expect a bit of relaxation from invention in front line players in fours with drummers – perhaps they unconsciously try not to hog the limelight too much. I remember recently noticing Stan Getz playing fours superbly on one occasion – on “The Last Concert” I think it was. No coasting for him!

The (Ronnie Scott?) quote about Dexter Gordon “playing the tonic as if he just invented it”; the sort of playing, the assertiveness and aplomb, it conjures up is to my mind held in equal measure by Wayne Shorter and perhaps even more so by Booker Ervin. And on this album Shorter, although relatively restrained, still conveys this power in full measure I think.

Hutcherson is right at the top of my list of vibes players, just after Milt Jackson. Consummate on this album.

The version I have is the Blue Note Classic double LP previously mentioned which has the Morgan session with George Coleman, Julian Priester, Harold Mabern. “Free Flow”, etc. Now that’s a good one too although perhaps not quite up to the same standard.

Not too much to say, really. I bought this one on LP the first day it was released, got deep into it the first listen, and still find it one of Lee's most interesting group albums, due to the tunes and the slightly "cooler" vibe they dictate. The level of inference is quite high throughout the selections (again, a function of the material, I think), and Lee was better at that than maybe even he realized.

"Simply marvellous" is as eloquent as I can get here. The album's an old friend, and I think it's merits, charms, and depth shouldn't be too hard for anybody to latch onto, and fairly quickly at that!

Not too much to say, really. I bought this one on LP the first day it was released, got deep into it the first listen, and still find it one of Lee's most interesting group albums, due to the tunes and the slightly "cooler" vibe they dictate. The level of inference is quite high throughout the selections (again, a function of the material, I think), and Lee was better at that than maybe even he realized.

"Simply marvellous" is as eloquent as I can get here. The album's an old friend, and I think it's merits, charms, and depth shouldn't be too hard for anybody to latch onto, and fairly quickly at that!

I guess some who know the more groovy, more funky Morgan, could be a little deceived from this one - "lyrical" is one of the words for me most closely connected with the playing on this album. And Lee was good at that, too!

ubu

Sorry; something about the title kept making me put this off...what can I say? :g

Anyway, "lyrical" is perfect. This one is a bit of a shock if you put it on and wait for the standard Mogie boogie number to start, and that's just fine by me. Don't get me wrong; I like the boogie stuff, but it started to seem almost like a Don Kirchner promo formula, you know? This is a good one to pull out to counter the "all Lee Morgan stuff sounds the same" argument. Of course, now that I think about it, so is Search for the New Land, the last sessions, Leeway, Live at the Lighthouse, Delightfulee...hmm; better to just ignore people who make that argument!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for being late with my post...

as I'm the more groovy Lee Morgan addict (as the STOPSTART track on this record) I was really surprised by this album as its fully of melodies and and eloqent album...

Both Wayne Shorter compositions (Dear Sir is great, but I like Rio more as the its little bit more tricky with its light Latin rhythm thats driving specially Hutcherson... ok, I like doorbells ;) ) are the album highlights and honestly I like Shorter much more when playing as sidemen here as on his own BN albums as leader made around 65-67....

Anyway, thanks for selecting it ubu

Cheers, Tjobbe