Jazz Name Pronunciation

wesbed

In this edition, Carmell Jones.

I know how to pronounce the ‘Jones’ part of his name. But, how is ‘Carmell’ pronounced? I mean, does it rhyme with the candy, as in caramel? Or, since there is a double-L at the end, is the accent on the ‘mell’ part of the name? :huh:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of tips for Roscoe Mitchell fans with composition pronounciation troubles. Nonaah, a composition and DB Critics Poll album of the year winner :D is a 3 syllable word - No Nay Ah. That album contains a composition called A1TAL2A. This is a combo of Roscoe's daughter's name (Atala) and the numbers 1 & 2 - say " A-1 Tall Toola.

Atala Mitchell is the young lady on the cover of Snurdy McGurdy, indeed she IS Snurdy McGurdy. Understand the photo was taken in 1981 and she has grown into a stunningly beautiful dancer.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Rhymes with "goose tuna"

Now THAT'S information! I always thought was "Cuss - Koona".

Although, I suppose the double "S" would have been built into it, eh?

Anybody know of a good deal on a calcamoolator? I done rolled one Braxton album too many offa mine and it done broke.

Try Marr-cee-ull Sou-lull, that comes closest. French isn't easy for you American folks ;) .

I once saw Carmell Jones with an Afro-Jazz Group very popular here in Germany at the time, Mombasa, founded and led by trombonist Lou Blackburn (another ex-Californian transplanted to Germany), and Lou always said Car-mell, with no recogizable accent on either syllable.

James, the accents are both on the last syllable.

Now I won't torture you with the correct pronunciation of my full first name, Michael, in German, as "ch" is a sibilant not that often used in English, as in machine, Mee'chu-ell (u as in "run", ell like the Spanish article).

Thanks to a pm of a fellow boarder the tap dancer looks real sharp now ... B) ... he reminds of a German comedian/actor very popular in the 1960's, Heinz Erhardt, who's probably unknown outside of Germany.

August 5, 2003 edit: This, of course, does not apply to the rotating girl at the side - I change my avatar every now and then.

Edited by mikeweil