Greg Osby--Public

montg

Osby's new one is a live recording with Nicholas Payton. Looks as though they'll be playing some stuff from the st Louis Shoes CD (which I really like). Joan Osborne appears on one cut--can't quite place her, but isn't she the one who had a pop song about God a few years ago?

osby

I'm looking forward to Osby's new one, quite a bit - since I have also been that way with everything he's recorded since about 1998 or so.

BUT, I only "liked" St. Louis Shoes (and I didn't "love" it). By way of comparision, I was TOTALLY blown away by Invisble Circle and Symbols of Light, and nearly blown away by Zero and Invisible Hand.

St. Louis Shoes is a very good album, but honestly -- after Osby's previous four albums, I was expecting something better than just "very good" - if you know what I mean.

That said, I have only moderate hopes for his new one being anything better than an 8 on a 10 scale. It'll be real good, maybe even really good. But I have my doubts about in being "great!!!!" - if you know what I mean.

Another big thumbs up for RELISH, a pretty audacious debut. Have been very nervous about picking up any albums since then because I don't want to be disappointed! "St. Theresa," "Ladder," "Pensacola," all amazing tunes. The "God" single was pretty good too actually, despite being written by a Hooter - just overplayed. Clever, funny, catchy, hell even Prince covered it live.

Anyway, the new Osby sounds VERY promising, nice line up.

Edited by DrJ

• 1 month later...

Aggie, I was just going off of info from his publicist's cite (the link is in the original message). It states, in part, :

" his first live album in six years with Public, recorded live at New York's Jazz Standard in January 2004."

Edited by montg