Randy Weston Select Set

Well, since cash is a bit tight at this point in time, I won't be going for the Bunny Berigan set (unfortunately) but am willing to "take the plunge" on the Weston set. There's been few comments on this set at AAJ, and I'd like to see a discussion regarding the material included on the set here (for those who are already familiar with it). Weston is another artist I'm almost totally unfamiliar with (other than hearing some of his tunes played by others), so feel free to elaborate on his musical conception - I've heard he's been influenced greatly by Monk as well as African music - and other areas surrounding his art.

This set intrigued me initially because of the fact that Weston was yet ANOTHER artist I had shamefully neglected, but also because of the varied settings (trio, big band, quintet, etc) and 'big name' sidemen, Hawk, KD, and Freddie Hubbard, among many others.

Anyways, all comments are readily welcome.

Well, I think this is a great period of Weston, even including the date excluded here, "Destry Rides Again". . . .

The trio material here really is amazing stuff, and shows his technique and his compositional skills to good effect. The live date with Hawkins is just. . . well it's some of the best jazz made that year in my opinion, and it was a very good year! And I've really learned to like the larger ensemble work a lot. Weston and Melba Liston worked really well together, the quirkiness of one's orchestration really bringing to light and smoothing over in a way the other's writing. When I first heard the Roulette twofer cd, I wasn't that crazy about it but over time I've come to really enjoy it.

Weston continues to be a tremendous player and presence. What I've heard of his of the last five years or so (including unreleased recordings of appearances) shows that he's not resting on laurels he should have if he hasn't been given them! He's an extremely interesting person and an artist of great stature, at least in my estimation. His work throughout the four or five decades he's recorded is of a very high calibre. I think you'll enjoy exploring his work, and this Select will be a great place to start.

Both the Selects are a plus for me. Always been a follower of Bennie Green since the Jo Jones Special album on Vanguard. To me Green, is more of a mainstream musician than some one overtly modern. I had most of this on LP, and am glad to get CD versions.

Weston I came to by finding the Riverside twofer( ZULU) in a junk bin.. when Promo copies appeared in the "used" stores as soon as an album was released. Made me a bit of a Weston junkie..even bought the SPLENDID MASTER GWANA MASTER MUSICIANS OF MOROCCO because it was a Weston album... not jazz though.. :(

The select will be quite varied.. Trio's to Big Band, club performances to "suites".

I like Westons music and piano playing.. both have a somewhat different element to them, regardless of the comparissons people make to other musicians ( Monk etc.). I don't know a lot about truly African music, but from what I've read of Westons travels and investigations into it, I'm sure that these contribute to the singularity of his approach. ( Melba Liston's arrangements for the larger groups stay right with, or maybe are part of, the Weston image)

I only had Niles ( a sextet date) and the 5 Spot on vinyl, and my vinyl playing dropped off a lot since CDs came along.. more now as I am transferring them to CDr.. Was just getting into the Westons when the select was announced , so I put it off until I could see what it would include.

I recall that I preferred the Niles album to the 5 spot.. for some reason Hawk didn't seem to fit the rest of the band( I await the flames).. Destry rides Again was there too... but apparently Weston dislikes that album and didn't want Mosaic to reissue it

The Suite/Big band. UHURU AFRICA.. is interesting.. it has some "dated" Freedom chants, and vocals that I find a bit pretentious, but once they're out of the way the music is great....just look at the band... The 5th movement KUCHEZA BLUES is one of Weston's Classics. Here it closes the album, and though the music is different, with "african" rhytmic support, it reminds me of the effect that La Nevada had on the Gil Evans Out of the Cool album.

HIGHLIFE is something of a precursor to Weston's AFRICAN COOKBOOK , but with a larger group. Booker Ervin is on both, and to my mind he fits Weston's music better than Hawk. ( Yeah Booker got trashed elswhere.. but I still like him better than Hawk in Weston's environment)

Then there's an unissued session with Cecil Payne. Payne recorded, and presumably played, quite a bit , with Weston around this time.. and was well versed in his music.

As noted, the variety in the Weston set is such that it will give you ( Rooster) a lot to explore, and I would guess, a lot of enjoyment.

But don't fluff of Bennie Green too easily.

The first four selects, and the others projected.. ( the Mulligan Songbooks etc) looks like Mosaic will maintain it's "record company of the year" status in magazines that run those polls.

Edited by P.D.

The Weston set will certainly be something to look forward too. I've got some of the material but thre's enough new stuff here to make it essential. Shame that Destry isn't included even if it isn't top drawer, it would have been nice to have a complete set. Did I read that Weston didn't authorise it's release?

The Green set gets a very strong recommendation from me too. I love his swing/bop playing and he leads some tight swinging little bands here. The Minor Revelation date is especially nice. I'll be passing on the set, reluctantly, I have everyting on Japanese lps, TOCJs etc.

As has been said this is fine way to spend $39 (twice)

PD, it will be interesting to hear what you feel bout Five Spot now. I think that Hawk plays excellently and isn't really a ringer. But I'd like to hear your impressions.

Also, I think that Destry was probably primarily deleted because of space reasons. To keep it to three discs, probably something had to go. There are no Weston compositions on Destry, and that would be a natural choice for a composer. . . . But I really enjoy this lp and wish it could have been included, even if the set had to be expanded. It sort of makes it a forgotten step-chiled now, which it does not deserve. Quite a nice lp. Other's mileage may vary, but it tickles my fancy.

Not having heard any Weston before (not a single note that I can think of), I went off in search of some sound samples...

For what they're worth, most (if not all) of these albums have 1-minute samples of every tune on every disc...

at bn.com: http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/res...erid=2WRGO2BNHJ

I have only one of his albums, With These Hands, which I liked very much, so I'll be looking forward to this set. I have most but not all of the Bennie Greene (I'm missing the Ike Quebec and Walking and Talking) so I'll probably spring for this also and offload my TOCJs.

Lon (jazzbo) is, as usual, absolutely correct.

This will be a well spent $39.

Well, you're probably right....but there was that ominous sounding bit "I've really learned to like...".

Having never heard any of his material I thought I might have yanked the 'BUY' lever too quickly.....sounds like it'll be a good one though.

I've just played the four Destry tracks from the Blue Note reissue series double lp. They are stranger than I remembered, there's almost a pop/dance band feel to the arrangements and to Weston's playing which is pretty and rather tame.

What about Blue Moses on CTI? Weston was an unusual candidate for the CTI treatment. Even playing electric piano with Don Sebesky's arrangements and Grover Washington I think there are some fine moments on the record.

What about Blue Moses on CTI? Weston was an unusual candidate for the CTI treatment. Even playing electric piano with Don Sebesky's arrangements and Grover Washington I think there are some fine moments on the record.

yes, I found the LP recently and I like it, too. Certainly deserves mention!

ubu