Calling all Basie fans ...

neveronfriday

Hi everyone,

today Count Basie's 100th has been an item of discussion. Many people have voiced the conviction that this stellar jazz musician should in some way be celebrated in an appropriate fashion.

Well, let's put our knowledge where our mouths are.

I suggest we put a damn fine website out there, celebrating Count Basie and supplying the public with detailed and accurate discographical and other information which goes beyond what many other sites (on any musician) have to offer. We have all the resources right here, so ...

I have ...

... the web space,

... just the right DB-based content managment program (I have a full commercial license),

... the design and programming experience needed,

... access to a large group of experts (here on Organissimo)

You (might) have ...

... the will to make a difference and actually turn thought into action,

... a love for Basie's music or the willingness to put in the extra effort needed,

... the trust that this will an above average project,

... some programming or designing skills you might want to put to good use,

... ...

If you think you might want to be in on this project, send me your e-mail address and you will hear from me within a week with a detailed proposal (also outlining the technical side of things).

If you are not sure yet but want to maybe get with the program anyway, send your e-mail address.

Volkher (deus62)

P.S.: I've had some health issues to deal with and am now on the road to recovery and am this weekend completing one last webdesign project I've had in the works for three weeks. My own site is in shambles and will be deleted this weekend. A new one has been in the works and will be unveiled around June (the backend has been updated to one of the best CMS's around).

I will have ample time to invest and promise to do so if I find more dedicated people willing to invest time as well.

So, let's just do it instead of whining ...

Edited by deus62

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea, Volkher! Count me in. I´ll add my enthusiasm and my work; there are many other much more knowledgeable members.

BTW: Milan (mmilovan) suggested something simmilar in another thread. We have to join our efforts!

Hi Agustín,

great to have you on board. If mmilovan joins up as well, we already have a strong team. I'm looking forward to hearing from others willing to contribute! All that's needed is some enthusiasm and a bit of spare time. The more people we get together to shoulder this thing, the better.

With all the knowledge and the Googlin' skills available, the design freaks and collectors around here, we can easily leave others in the dust.

BTW: I have posted a "join-up" note in the other thread.

Cheers!

Appetizer for those of you not sure about this project:

01. Why are you doing this?

Several aspects: I've been honing my web programming and designing skills for quite some years. My own website is down and was going to be up again this summer, but to be quite honest, I've been looking for a project to put out there which is more a community effort. I think this is the one. Secondly, I'm a huge Basie fan. It is the one band leader I went to see as often as I could, and it is largely due to his music that I have always stayed close to jazz, even in times in which other things interested me more.

02. Is this going to be one of those blinking amateur websites?

Nope. With the combined effort of the people who have shown interest already, we have design skills, programming skills, research skills and, most importantly, a bunch of people giving attention to detail. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ones having shown interest already are certainly not the ones who look favourably on sloppy research and poor execution.

03. If it's not going to be blinking, what's it gonna be?

For two years now, from the start, I've been rather closely watching and following the development of an excellent Content Management System which was once called pMachine and has now risen like Phoenix from the ideas of said program in new clothes as ExpressionEngine (EE).

Features (skip down if you want to avoid the mumbo jumbo and go directly to the summary):

ExpressionEngine Features

01. Web Publishing Features

Multiple Weblogs

ExpressionEngine supports an unlimited number of weblogs. You can separate your weblogs into independent pages, or you can put multiple weblogs on the same page.

Custom Entry Fields

Each weblog can have its own unique set of entry fields. These can be input boxes, pull-down menus or text areas.

Custom Statuses

Create editorial work-flow by creating statuses that you can assign your entries to, like "first draft", "revision", "final edit", etc. You can color-code them too.

Multiple Categories

Each entry can be assigned to multiple categories, and you can create as many unique category groups as you want.

Search Engine

Powerful search module with simple and advanced search capbaility. You can search within weblogs, comments, members, and categories.

Moblog Module

Email weblog entries and photos to ExpressionEngine using your mobile phone or email program.

Ping Servers

Each user can define their own servers to ping when new entries are added.

HTML formatting buttons

Each user can store their own formatting elements that are available at the click of a button.

Search-Engine Friendly URLs

The URLs produced by ExpressionEngine do not contain query strings which are disliked by search engines. Rather, they mimic the directory structure of static sites.

URL Titles

Each weblog entry can be given a "human friendly" title for use with the URL permalink.

Sticky Topics

Weblog entries can be made "sticky", forcing them to always show up at the top of the page.

Image and File Uploading

Upload to multiple destinations, and limit uploads to specific user groups.

Image Resizing and Thumbnailing

ExpressionEngine lets you resize images and create thumbnails, with support for the three major image manipulation protocols: GD, NetPBM,and ImageMagick.

Image and File Browsing

View your uploaded images in the convenient File Browser

Commenting System

You can choose to require membership to post comments, or allow non-registered commenting. The commenting system has spam protection features built in.

Commenting Moderation

You can optionally make user comments subject to admin approval.

Trackback System

Our trackback system supports auto-discovery, multiple pings, and has built-in spam protection.

RSS Syndication

With RSS, your content can be made available for syndication. ExpressionEngine supports all major RSS formats, including the new Atom format.

Emoticons

Add "smileys" to your weblog entries and comments.

Bookmarklet

Post weblog entries using a convenient bookmarklet.

Multi-language Support

ExpressionEngine currently supports English, Spanish, German, Dutch, Italian, and Finnish.

02. Template Features

Full Page Modeling

Each template represents an entire web page

Conditional Operators

Use conditionals to show targeted content to users that meet any criteria you set.

Custom Global Variables

Create your own variables that you can use in any template.

Sub-templates

With our Embedded Template feature, any template can be nested within another template, allowing you to use common headers, footers, and other site elements. This feature is so flexible you can put templates within templates within templates within templates...

Template Access Restriction

You can limit the viewing of each template to specific Member Groups.

PHP in Templates

You can choose to allow or deny PHP scripting in each template. You can even choose where in the chain the PHP parsing occurs - either pre-template or post-template.

Custom SQL Queries

Using our Query Tag, you can construct your own custom database queries. This feature essentially allows you to create your own tags.

Template Exporting

Export your templates as text or zip files.

Template Library

Save your templates to a library so they can be used to create new ones.

Versioning System

ExpressionEngine lets you save every change you make to your templates so you can go back in time and retrieve older versions.

Customizable Workspace

Each user can customize the size of the template window.

Template Notes

Store notes and information regarding each template.

03. Member Management Features

Multi-user system

ExpressionEngine is a true multi-user system. Each user can granted a wide range of privileges, letting you define with precise control what each user is permitted to do.

Member Groups

You can define an unlimited number of Member Groups, each with over 40 individual user privileges. Each member of your community is assigned to a Member Group, determining what they are allowed to do.

Custom Member Fields

The member profile system permits you to add your own fields. Build your own data model and collect the information you need from your users.

Member Activation

Members can "self-activate" via email or you can validate accounts manually.

Advanced member profile management

Each member has their own profile management page, in which they can set preferences and update their personal information.

Member Localization

Each member can have their own localization settings, allowing them to view your site in their local time.

Member Communication

An Email Console permits members to email each other from your system. Each user can choose whether or not to receive email.

Email Console Logs

For security, all email sent by your members is logged.

Member QuickLinks

Each member that has Control Panel access can view their own custom links in the Control Panel navigation.

Notepad

Each member has their own notepad.

04. Communications Features

Mult-protocol Support

ExpressionEngine supports the three major email protocols: Mail, SendMail, and SMTP.

Flexible Email Options

HTML email, priorities, word wrapping, CC, BCC and any combination of recipients, from member groups, to individuals, to members of your mailing list.

Mailing List Manager

ExpressionEngine comes with an integrated double opt-in/opt-out mailing list.

Mail Caching

All emails are saved so you can keep a record of your sent messages.

Batch Mode Processing

This feature permits you to send email to very large lists without needing a dedicated email server.

05. Module and Plugin Features

Auto-recognized Plugins

Our plugin engine lets you install plugins just by putting them into your "plugins" folder. Plugins let you extend the system with new features.

Module API

Virtually every system in ExpressionEngine is handled as an add-on module. With our module API, ExpressionEngine can be extended to meet any conceivable need by adding new modules.

06. Caching Features

Query Caching

The output of your database is cached, reducing the database load.

Tag Caching

Each individual template tag can be cached, allowing pages to be both dynamic and static simultaneously.

Page Caching

Entire templates can be cached, producing the fastest rendering time of any dynamic system.

07. Security Features

160 bit SHA1 password encryption

SHA1 is the worlds most secure password hashing scheme.

Session Management

ExpressionEngine has three separate session management systems, based on your security needs. Your control panel and your public site can each utilize its own session preferences.

Secure Mode Form Processing

Forms can only be submitted once per page load. This prevents duplicate submissions and deters spamming.

Captcha Images

ExpressionEngine can generate "captcha" images for member registration and comment posting to prevent spamming.

Duplicate Data Denial

When enabled, this preference denies any user-submitted data that already exists in the database, providing increased spam protection.

Simultaneous Password Denial

Multiple users can not access the system using the same password simultaneously.

IP and User Agent logging

Our Session Management system tracks both IPs and User Agents for more precise authentication.

Password Lockout

Users can be locked out after several invalid password attempts. This is a deterrent to collision and brute force hacking attempts.

Secure Password Mode

User can not choose passwords that are based on the username, or that appear in a dictionary.

IP Banning

Users can be banned by full or partial IP addresses. Wild-cards can be used.

Email Banning

Email addresses can be banned or restricted from use. Wild-cards can be used.

Username and Screen Name Restricting

This permits you to designate names that you do not want your members using.

Word Censoring

Define a list of banned words. When submitted by your users, the words are replaced with ###

08. Utilities

SQL Manager

A full complement of SQL utilities, including database optimization, database backup, manually submitted queries, table info, process info, and more.

Admin Log Files

Various Control Panel processes are logged.

Search and Replace

Globally search and replace content in your weblog entries and templates.

Data Export

Export your templates, and your database.

PHP Info

View information about your PHP installation directly from the ExpressionEngine control panel.

09. Tracking Features

Referrer Tracking

View a list of sites that link to you through our referrer tracking system. Our referrer module supports advanced blacklisting, allowing you to ban by IP, User Agent or URL.

Hit Tracking

Each template has it's own hit tracker, enabling you to see which pages are most viewed.

Statistical Tracking

ExpressionEngine tracks a variety of statistics, like total number of entries, total comments, total trackbacks, and more.

Online User Tracking

This features allows you to show who is online, how many people are visiting at any given moment, and how many people have ever visited your site.

04. What does it all mean?

With Expression Engine you can ...

... set up a website which can be accessed by contributors via a normal browser, a username and a password,

... set up an interface with data entry fields which simply need to be filled out by a contributor,

... integrate the whole thing into virtually any design, from simple weblog layout (CSS and XML) to complex table layout,

... allow or disallow visitor commenting or participation,

... keep extensive mailing lists,

... query the hell out of the data if they were intelligently collected (there are limitations in comparison with full-fledged database programs, but this is supposed to be a website, and EE does offer more than enough flexibility),

... upload images via the normal browser interface,

... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

05. Credentials?

Somewhere further up in this thread I promised to actually give it my best shot. So far (I have) ...

... designed about 20 sites, most of which are Intranet applications (using pMachine and EE);

... some of my sites were, until its demise, a permanent fixture on the pMachine Tour for examples of how far you can stretch the program(s) and what can be done design-wise;

... some of my site layouts (11 in all, so far), have been taken over by other sites (anything from corporate Intranet to American Church sites) - after I had trashed the designs;

... worked 7 years with the German government, IBM and Microsoft on an educational programme, supplying schools and other institutions with Internet-related expertise;

... etc.

06. And ...?

I am a hobby designer and web developer. My day job is teaching, and because I take that job seriously, I don't take on more than I can handle. The Basie site would be the only thing I'm working on. All my shortcomings (and there are plenty), could be balanced by, for example, couw's and other members' design skills, discographical and bibliographical research and expertise, etc. As a team, we could easily pull it off.

06. A word of warning:

Experience tells me that ...

... this is time consuming,

... pre-planning is of the utmost importance,

... frustration tolerance levels must be high,

... extensive e-mail exchanges are a must (before we get going).

So, join up. We'll get it off the ground.

More to come next week ...

Cheers!

Volkher (deus62)

Edited by deus62

Great Volkher, as always.

I've just sent you email.

Oh, people, I am all with you.

Milan

BTW, I am in hope that John Litwack will also join in, Flurin (king ubu) as well as few other Basie fans!

Edited by mmilovan

Great Volkher, as always.

I've just sent you email.

Oh, people, I am all with you.

Milan

BTW, I am in hope that John Litwack will also join in, Flurin (king ubu) as well as few other Basie fans!

I am in, of course! Thank you, Volkher.

Mail sent to all of those I have the e-mail address of. If you didn't get one and want to be part of this project, I MUST have your email address. I don't want to switch back and forth between PMs and mails all the time.

Looking forward to working with you guys. We've got an excellent team together already:

.: brownie

.: catesta

.: couw

.: deus62

.: Dmitry

.: EKE BBB

.: John L

.: king ubu

.: mmilovan

If you are not on the list and want in, send mail to deus[place at symbol]deus62.com. Also do so if I missed your "application" somehow. I'm darn busy at the moment and my brain is overloading.

Cheers!

Volkher

Anyone else wanna join?

a] We're all serious about this.

B] We've entered the planning stage and important decisions are made as you read this.

c] If you know anyone who would like to be a part of this project, alert them to this thread ... now.

Please join now if you want to.

Cheers!

Volkher (deus62)

P.S.: Edited for that IRRITATING b] vs. B) bug! And yes, it is a bug, because I'm buggy and forget about it all the time.

Edited by deus62