wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

47,075 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

J.R.Monterose "s/t" (blue note, Lexington USA). 

:wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 6, 2016 at 6:54 AM, corto maltese said:

I also have both issues. The "regular" is on Kabell Records (Kabell 1 - blue label) which of course was (is) Leo Smith's own private label. But the one with the silk screened cover (blank back cover; notes included in a small stapled booklet) is on TMS Records (TMS 1000 - yellow label).

Was "TMS" the originally intended name of his label and did he change this for the second pressing, somewhere between 1972 and 1975 (release of Reflectativity), or is there another story? Anyway, I've never been troubled by the pressing quality of either of these. And I love the music very, very much.

I've wondered what the story is too. My copy has the TMS label and a Kabell sticker covering up the TMS reference on the cover. There's also a small square of type pasted on the back referencing Kabell. Great music whatever the presentation is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

s-l300.jpg

What is that cover photo, Lester on alto and without a strap? That's some weird looking shit.

136813.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

s-l300.jpg

What is that cover photo, Lester on alto and without a strap? That's some weird looking shit.

Well, they do bill it as The Alternative Lester. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, and this was big shit back in the day, all these unreleased alternates.(Jerry Valburn?).Obsolete now, surely, except as an object. Between Lester on the cover and the dog on the label, it's still a keeper here.

But you know how a bootleg looks like a bootleg, even the good ones, and how when you find one in a regular store you get a kind of surge of eeirdness, like seeing cleavage in church? Well, yeah, that with this. You know you shouldn't,  but dammed if you won't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2016 at 6:12 PM, JSngry said:

Lose Lee Ritenour, Patrice Rusheen, and Billy Cobham (from this record)  and lose Wade Marcus (from any record afaic), bring in, say, George Duke and Tony Williams, play the same material live in the studio, and even if it doesn't click, at least it won't be this.

 

On 9/4/2016 at 1:07 AM, sidewinder said:

Wade Marcus - He was all over the place back in the 1970s. The first jazz primer book I ever got was full of his stuff too ! His 'Red China Blues' arrangement for Miles was OK..

Wade Marcus did the arrangements for Bobby Hutcherson's one-and-only dud (IMHO, of course), Natural Illusions (Blue Note, 1972).  

Even the cover art was bad. . . 

hutche_bobb_naturalil_102b.jpg

A red-skinned alien holding up a red lightbulb to a disembodied face?  What???  :unsure:

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

 

Wade Marcus did the arrangements for Bobby Hutcherson's one-and-only dud (IMHO, of course), Natural Illusions (Blue Note, 1972).  

Even the cover art was bad. . . 

hutche_bobb_naturalil_102b.jpg

A red-skinned alien holding up a red lightbulb to a disembodied face?  What???  :unsure:

I think that's supposed to be an next-gen apple/serpent tongue/Eden thing, but either way, yeah about Wade Marcus, got him from a business pov, but never felt him from a musical one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-2015594-1258667891.jpeg.jpg

Charlie Palmieri: A Giant Step (Tropical Budda)

Aptly titled platter .... fine surrealist cover art too ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JSngry said:

But you know how a bootleg looks like a bootleg, even the good ones, and how when you find one in a regular store you get a kind of surge of eeirdness, like seeing cleavage in church? Well, yeah, that with this. You know you shouldn't,  but dammed if you won't. 

This. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there, eh? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Tapscott said:

R-3634071-1338216251-4296.jpeg.jpg

This Haig Trio recording with Gilbert Rovere and Kenny Clarke is nothing short of terrific ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed the inner sleeve on the Tax LP, like an off-center grocery bsg, have not seen that elsewhere.

 

20160909_110458.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.8.2016 at 1:31 AM, JSngry said:

220px-Bud_Shank_%26_the_Sax_Section.jpg

In spite of wanting to (for sentimental reasons) I find myself unable to like, enjoy, or even particularly appreciate this record. Not even Ray Brown can make it move, or even give it the illusion of movement. It makes me appreciate Stan Kenton as a motivating force, because the approach here is Kenton-ian in terns of section work, but by god, Stan Kenton got his bands to PLAY,  ok? These shit is just....AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH.

OTOH, coolest picture of Bill Perkins, ever, on the back cover.

UPAC_PJ10110__53256__01152009024454-7912

I remember I once had a Liberty LP reissue (that omitted two tracks, for whatever reason), and being dissapointed - a rather routine affair, uninteresting repertoire, played well, but without the spark you expect from these players. Superfluous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

I remember I once had a Liberty LP reissue (that omitted two tracks, for whatever reason), and being dissapointed - a rather routine affair, uninteresting repertoire, played well, but without the spark you expect from these players. Superfluous.

It didn't do anything for me either.   The lp was soon disposed of.  I hadn't realised it wasn't complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping it for that picture of Bill Perkins, but only for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29276878770_4752bfd426.jpg

P.S. Hey dudes.. 

Edited by Brandon Burke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-6554864-1421878123-3321.jpeg.jpg

Jacks Or Better by The Jimmy Russell Trio (Russell -orgsn, Hartshorne Alexander -  tenor, Speed Ahamed-drums) on Cuca Records out of Sauk City, Wisconsin.

About the players, I can find nothing, and what I can find of both the label and the town provide no indication whatsoever of who these guys were, why they were there, or why they were on that label.

The music itself is slightly idiosyncrayic but mostly typical lounge trio organ jazz of a definiely "local" flavor, which is why...what/where the hell was "local" here, and did anybody get out alive?

HeyBrandon, where the hee you brrn? Good to see you! 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

R-6554864-1421878123-3321.jpeg.jpg

Jacks Or Better by The Jimmy Russell Trio (Russell -orgsn, Hartshorne Alexander -  tenor, Speed Ahamed-drums) on Cuca Records out of Sauk City, Wisconsin.

About the players, I can find nothing, and what I can find of both the label and the town provide no indication whatsoever of who these guys were, why they were there, or why they were on that label.

The music itself is slightly idiosyncrayic but mostly typical lounge trio organ jazz of a definiely "local" flavor, which is why...what/where the hell was "local" here, and did anybody get out alive?

Hey Brandon, where the hell you been? Good to see you! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

s-l225.jpg

"If there's a cloud up above us, go on and let it rain, I'm sure our hearts together, we can snort some cocaine." 

Direct bass AND coke reference, 70s out the ass!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah....whoever the previous owner of that Pony side was knew better than to write their name on the cover. Clicks I don't mind, the occasional stuck needle, hey shit haopens, but this record either had coke snorted off of it or it got sneezed on more than one or maybe both, but the groove is, like, battered and scarred. Getting up to unstick a record every few minutes is just fucked up, and whoever did this knew better than to leave a trail.

They ought to have an America's Most Wanted for people who treat a record THIS badly, it's not like Pony Poindexter on Inner City is Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts, this damage was not incidental or inadvertant. Somebody needs to have that John Walsh dude on their ass, like, stat. 

Josie Records, otoh...8 bucks...how much would a non-abused copy cost? Store credit if you ever get one in, dammit.

Give me a fuckng fire extinguisher, this record needs some disciplining!

And wow, one just went on for 2-3 minutes and then fianally played through right after I wrote that. Spare the hose and spoil the record, right parents?

Just one more reminder that beasts run free disguised as humans. Beware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Just one more reminder that beasts run free disguised as humans. Beware.

:o ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.