wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

47,058 posts in this topic

Akira Miyazawa "yaname" (King, Japan wave jazz 1994 reissue). An original is nearly impossible to find; so this exact replica reissue from 1994 will suffice..much nicer then the early 80s King reissue.  Great album from 1962 with a very young Masahiko Sato!

Woody Shaw "in the beginning" (muse, USA). Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder for Blue Note but never issued at the time.  So that means this fantastic session can be had cheaply...I'm sure it would cost a small fortune if it ended up a Blue Note album given the cast(Joe Henderson, Larry Young, Joe Chambers, Herbie Hancock, etc)

1 hour ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Woody Shaw "in the beginning" (muse, USA). Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder for Blue Note but never issued at the time.  So that means this fantastic session can be had cheaply...I'm sure it would cost a small fortune if it ended up a Blue Note album given the cast(Joe Henderson, Larry Young, Joe Chambers, Herbie Hancock, etc)

:tup!

12 hours ago, JSngry said:
12 hours ago, JSngry said:

HeyBrandon, where the hee you brrn? Good to see you! 

Been in San Francisco for the last 12 years. (DC before that.) 

Got married, had a kid. Moved to Lawrence, KS last week to be closer to my folks, give the kid a yard, get away from crazy Bay Area cost-of-living.

That Marsh was the 2nd thing played on the hi-fi since we got unpacked.  

It appears I don't know how replies work since the site got updated either. Oh well.. 

On 9/9/2016 at 10:07 AM, soulpope said:

This Haig Trio recording with Gilbert Rovere and Kenny Clarke is nothing short of terrific ....

My Spotlite pressing is not very good, unfortunately. Mid 70's petroleum shortage and all that. Still some companies had good pressings. Not all though. Some really cheaped out.  I don't know how producers could live with putting such crap on the market. And I discovered that there was no point in taking them back to the store. The next one you got would be no better.  Of course you could get your money back, but then you wouldn't have the music at all. The 70's were a real crap shoot for pressing quality. 

Now (a good pressing, actually):

R-6676981-1424432686-3563.jpeg.jpg       

Edited by John Tapscott

Front.JPG

Dave Brubeck Trio, Distinctive Rhythm Instrumentals (Fantasy ten inch), and Illinois Jacquet, Bosses of the Ballad (Argo)

5 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

R-1643683-1267380152.jpeg.jpg

A beauty ....

Bill Smith and Johnny Eaton, The American Jazz Ensemble in Rome (RCA mono), and Reuben Wilson, A Groovy Situation (Blue Note/United Artists)

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

095574.jpg

The Complete Recordings of the Port of Harlem Jazzmen (Mosaic)

:tup:tup:tup!!!

Joe Henderson - Inner Urge.

Joe is a TOTAL motherfucker

On 9/13/2016 at 0:37 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

R-479956-1441819911-9177.jpeg.jpg

same as:

R-4140648-1356664402-1515.jpeg.jpg

same stampers and 1/200t of cost, this is one of those hella pricey ones

Same stampers and probably the same shitty pressing quality. Were there any bits of paper showing in the vinyl? How about orange peel? Non-fill? :) 

9 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Same stampers and probably the same shitty pressing quality. Were there any bits of paper showing in the vinyl? How about orange peel? Non-fill? :) 

its okay- it aint like a CROWN record dawg....

Steve Lacy/Yuji Takahashi/Takehisa Kosugi - Distant Voices - (Columbia, JP)

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Steve Lacy/Yuji Takahashi/Takehisa Kosugi - Distant Voices - (Columbia, JP)

A total classic!  Had the original jewel box denon CD.  Then I bought the original LP.  Then I bought the mini LP reissue CD.  Then I almost bought another copy of the original LP with OBI, but I resisted that moment of insanity!  Needless to say I think this album is really awesome :)