• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, rdavenport said:

s-l1600.jpg

and see, that's the way this session should have been housed forever more. but no, people got all retro-OJC-crazy and of course, they were happy to sell you a couple of items when one would do. if it really is "historic" treat it as such instead of fetishizing the objects that brought it along. I could have done without the re-chanelling/remastering etc, but when I bought this, my hi-fi record player had a mono switch and it was all good. Point just being, put this on a record...ALL of it. and then leave it ALL there.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

and see, that's the way this session should have been housed forever more. but no, people got all retro-OJC-crazy and of course, they were happy to sell you a couple of items when one would do. if it really is "historic" treat it as such instead of fetishizing the objects that brought it along. I could have done without the re-chanelling/remastering etc, but when I bought this, my hi-fi record player had a mono switch and it was all good. Point just being, put this on a record...ALL of it. and then leave it ALL there.

That's how it is in the complete Monk Prestige box. Not the only reason to treasure that package.

41Q3VY0W0FL.jpg

s-l300.jpgR-5011893-1397775233-9473.jpeg.jpg  R-3386720-1350509000-4733.gif.jpg  R-1421318-1421263967-2834.jpeg.jpg  R-1599994-1231337037.jpeg.jpg  414e6PpbIyL.jpg

Today's vinyl, so far:

Eugene Rousseau Plays Saxophone (Coronet). Very good (but not great) classical saxophone.

Jimmy McCracklin - My Answer (Imperial mono)

Jimmy McCracklin - Shame, Shame Shame/My Answer (Art-tone single)

Chick Corea - Trio Music (ECM). Record one, all improvised. Probably my favorite post-Circle Corea. Record two, the Monk pieces, not so much.

Sunny Murray - Apple Cores (Philly Jazz)

Max Roach - Lift Every Voice and Sing (Atlantic)

Edited by jeffcrom

R-10536417-1499445834-8833.jpeg.jpg

Max Roach" We Insist! Freedom Now Suite

From discogs: "The track positions have been modified for this reissue, as can be seen on record labels and insert (explanation in Japanese).
This track listing modification is Roach's own intention especially for this Japanese release (written in liner notes)."

I have a Japanese issue with the changed track order. I can't find out the reason for the change because I can't read Japanese. Does anyone here know why Max Roach changed the running order of the tracks for this issue?

Edited by paul secor

12 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-10536417-1499445834-8833.jpeg.jpg

Max Roach" We Insist! Freedom Now Suite

From discogs: "The track positions have been modified for this reissue, as can be seen on record labels and insert (explanation in Japanese).
This track listing modification is Roach's own intention especially for this Japanese release (written in liner notes)."

I have a Japanese issue with the changed track order. I can't find out the reason for the change because I can't read Japanese. Does anyone here know why Max Roach changed the running order of the tracks for this issue?

I don't read Japanese either, but I remember reading about this.

"Freedom Day" was meant to be the last part of the suite (it's the last track on the Japanese issue); IIRC, according to Max Roach, that song (and the Freedom Now Suite) should have an open ending because freedom has not been achieved yet.

Anyway, it's a terrific record.

Edited by corto maltese
Typo.