wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

46,968 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Six eye.

Nice! I picked up a mint  2-eye for $3 in the bargain bin at the old Academy Records in NYC around 2001, then a six-eye, also on the cheap. These could be had for a song, but not any more. 
Enjoy! 

58 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Nice! I picked up a mint  2-eye for $3 in the bargain bin at the old Academy Records in NYC around 2001, then a six-eye, also on the cheap. These could be had for a song, but not any more. 
Enjoy! 

Actually, in these parts you can still get lucky at Half Priced Books. This was $7 about a year ago.

15 hours ago, sidewinder said:

R-4714989-1375679518-1762.jpeg.jpg

What a gem ! Never issued during Rosolino’s lifetime - great band with Harold Land and Victor Feldman, Axelrod production.

Indeed! Here some more  (including yours) not often seen from my stock beside the 2 from the series "Kenton presents..."

39954100zm.jpg

19 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Holiday six-eye, or two-eye? 

Is there an actual reason to care other than some obscure obsessive "record collector" reason? Is one heavier, higher quality vinyl? Is it like RVG wax vs Liberty-era reissue?  I've bought Liberty-era and been perfectly content with the result but then again I don't have a special rig and don't actually "listen" to vinyl, I transfer to digital, clean up egregious pops and clicks, and enjoy on CDR.

In my experience, the six-eye Columbias are uniformly well-pressed, with high quality control, on top notch vinyl. I reflects across the genres, not just jazz, but classical as well. If I see a clean Columbia Masterworks stereo six-eye classical album, I buy it, because I know it'll be a delight to listen to. So, yes, it's not just the 'collector' instinct, but it also plays part, of course. I like the sturdy covers, well-printed artwork that was designed by talented professionals. So yeah, much like the Blue Notes, its; the whole package.

3 hours ago, Dmitry said:

In my experience, the six-eye Columbias are uniformly well-pressed, with high quality control, on top notch vinyl. I reflects across the genres, not just jazz, but classical as well. If I see a clean Columbia Masterworks stereo six-eye classical album, I buy it, because I know it'll be a delight to listen to. So, yes, it's not just the 'collector' instinct, but it also plays part, of course. I like the sturdy covers, well-printed artwork that was designed by talented professionals. So yeah, much like the Blue Notes, its; the whole package.

Agreed, six eye pressings sound uniformly great, though for me the real qualify drop off is post-two eye pressings.

Duke Ellington, The Ellington Era 1927-1940, Volume 2 (Columbia, two eye)Image result for Duke Ellington the ellington era 1927-1940 volume 2

Earl Coleman- Love Songs

R-3013652-1316125170.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Dmitry

Bill-Evans-Live-at-Ronnie-Scotts-Cover.j

First spin of the new Resonance, copy #795. Considering the sound source, quite acceptable sonics, better than expected in fact and what seems to be an excellent pressing. Great music by this trio and the live atmosphere at Scott’s is well captured (:tup). Recommended !

The trio were at Scott’s for a month during that stint and the cohesion and ease with the venue shows in the performance.

Edited by sidewinder

Jazz Odyssey, Volume 1, The Sound of New Orleans, 1917-1947 (Columbia)Image result for jazz odyssey music of new orleans volume 1 columbia

Pete Magadini/Don Menza/Dave Young/George Duke - Polyrhythm

Edit: This is my first spin, and it's pretty great. They do a version of Menza's "Samba De Rollins", which I knew from his album on Catalyst.

R-2643821-1294675637.jpeg.jpg

Edited by funkytonk
commentary

a3667047525_10.jpg

Dezron Douglas & Brandee Younger - Force Majeure [International Anthem]

perfect Sunday afternoon listening

Creation (album).jpeg

John Coltrane Quartet - Creation [Blue Parrott]

a new favourite

Only just snagged it, prompted by a thread elsewhere on the board a few weeks ago

Edited by mjazzg

Miroslav Vitous, First Meeting (ECM)

Laurindo Almeida, The New World of Guitar (Capitol)Image result for Miroslaw Vitous First MeetingImage result for Laurindo Almeida New World of Guitar

Serge Ermoll's Free Kata -- The New Language of Music, vol. 1 -- (Free Kata self-released)

Matthew Halsall - Salute To The Sun [Gondwana]

Just finished: Tor Lundvall's "Yule", only recently released on vinyl. I was able to get a copy of the "peppermint" vinyl.

DAIS159_mockup_peppermint_03.jpg?v=15989

Now playing: Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At (Blue Note/Tone Poet). I don't know why, but as much of a Turrentine fan as I am, this date never really resonated with me. Maybe it's McCann's piano work?

Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At LP (Tone Poet Series) – Blue Note  Records