wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

47,075 posts in this topic

R-6869449-1428362468-5787.jpeg.jpg

James Williams - Magical Trio 2 (EmArcy, 1988)
with Ray Brown & Elvin Jones

81yC52UG-QL._SS500_.jpg

Hank Crawford & Jimmy McGriff - Steppin' Up (Milestone, 1987)
Billy Preston sits in on three cuts

R-5601596-1502225006-9894.jpeg.jpg

'Now Please Don't Cry, Beautiful Edith'

followed by 'Rip, Rig And Panic'

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

'Now Please Don't Cry, Beautiful Edith'

followed by 'Rip, Rig And Panic'

OH YEAH!

:tup:tup:tup

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

James Williams - Magical Trio 2 (EmArcy, 1988)
with Ray Brown & Elvin Jones

James Williams was so great, and he died too early. 

I´ll never forget how impressed I was by his playing on the first Blakey LP I had "In This Korner". And then seeing him perform with Blakey with that band with Bobby Watson and Valery Ponomarev...

The last time I saw James Williams was when he played piano in a very strong Dizzy Gillespie Big Band organized for his 70th Birthday Tour in 1987. 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I´ll never forget how impressed I was by his playing on the first Blakey LP I had "In This Korner". And then seeing him perform with Blakey with that band with Bobby Watson and Valery Ponomarev...

Yes  this Art Blakey group was great. We had  a concert in our private Jazz Club (Koblenz, Germany) in 1979.

40774429vy.jpg

40774430sy.jpg

NP:

R-2466770-1285634528.jpeg.jpg

Mel Lewis & the Jazz Orchestra - Bob Brookmeyer: Composer, Arranger (Gryphon, 1980)
Featured soloists include Dick Oatts, Jim McNeely, Rich Perry, Brookmeyer, and Clark Terry

More Mel Lewis & Bob Brookmeyer:

R-4422422-1389576524-1080.jpeg.jpg

Mel Lewis & the Jazz Orchestra - Make Me Smile & Other New Works by Bob Brookmeyer (Finesse, 1982)
Soloists include Dick Oatts, Jim McNeely, Tom Harrell, Joe Lovano, and Kenny Garrett

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

Mel Lewis & the Jazz Orchestra - Bob Brookmeyer: Composer, Arranger (Gryphon, 1980)
Featured soloists include Dick Oatts, Jim McNeely, Rich Perry, Brookmeyer, and Clark Terry

:tup

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

Man I wish Bob Brookmeyer hadn't been such a cantankerous jerk on the old Jazz Corner forums. Now, whenever I see one of his records, it's one of the first things I think of.

Gary Thomas & Seventh Quadrant - Code Violations LP Mint- R1 79604 w/P–  Shuga Records

Thanks HutchFan

possibly the thinnest vinyl in my collection, practically a flexi

51 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Gary Thomas & Seventh Quadrant - Code Violations LP Mint- R1 79604 w/P–  Shuga Records

Thanks HutchFan

possibly the thinnest vinyl in my collection, practically a flexi

I always wondered why it was so cheap when I saw it. 

This again:

On 3/18/2021 at 3:09 AM, Gheorghe said:

Williams' music always has a soulfulness and warmth, doesn't it?  Even when he's playing uptempo.  

I think that's one of the reasons he worked so well with Blakey.  TOTALLY agree with you re: In This Korner

Straight Ahead, Blakey's 2nd live record from the Keystone -- again with James Williams -- is excellent too. :tup 

I love it. That rubato on the beginning of "Thespian" is wonderful. Such a great album. 

Download (9).jpg

Charlie Barnett (Capitol)

Bobby Timmons, Chicken and Dumplin's (Prestige)

Lee Konitz, Phil Woods, Pony Poindexter, Leo Wright, The Alto Summit (Prestige/MPS)Image result for Charlie Barnett capitol recordsImage result for Bobby Timmons chicken and dumplingsImage result for Lee Konitz phil woods leo wright pony the alto summmit prestige

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Lee Konitz, Phil Woods, Pony Poindexter, Leo Wright, The Alto Summit (Prestige/MPS)

Image result for Lee Konitz phil woods leo wright pony the alto summmit prestige

WHOA! Never seen that, just the BASF/MPS version...who wrote the liner notes for this Prestige version?

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

WHOA! Never seen that, just the BASF/MPS version...who wrote the liner notes for this Prestige version?

Mark Gardner wrote the notes, dated August of 1969.

Wow, that would have been a totally different take on the music than the MPS/JEB notes, no doubt...

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Wow, that would have been a totally different take on the music than the MPS/JEB notes, no doubt...

In a quick look at the Prestige Discography, I counted 16 Prestige issues of MPS material. How else would Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald end up on Prestige?

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

In a quick look at the Prestige Discography, I counted 16 Prestige issues of MPS material. How else would Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald end up on Prestige?

There was a Clarke-Boland as well, correct? Who else?

Wondering how well that series got distributed nationwide. We had pretty goo rack-job service for Prestige when I started buying in 1970-71, but I never saw any of those.

I have that one.

a.jpg