What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

30 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Stanley Turrentine - Never Let Me Go (Blue Note, 1963)

R-8311043-1476211751-8628.jpeg.jpg

I really think that this is an underrated gem even within Turrentine's and Scott's catalogues. It has such a heavy hit of gospel and blues to it, but, over and above that, the timing is so stretched out. It's amazing.

Rab - I agree 100%.  I think it's one of their best records. 

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Rabshakeh said:

It was a new one for me which I bought on Sunday on a whim at HJs West (record shopping's back!). I knew the other early Berne's but not that one. I am really happy with it. 

Not managed to get out and shop yet but it won't be long

Has HJ West got a big used section now?  Always seemed to focus more on new vinyl recent years.  The Kings X branch certainly had a nice used selection pre-lockdown

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Not managed to get out and shop yet but it won't be long

Has HJ West got a big used section now?  Always seemed to focus more on new vinyl recent years.  The Kings X branch certainly had a nice used selection pre-lockdown

Got confused. I meant the King's Cross one, which has had a slight restock of its used selection since December and is worth a visit I think.

West has got more interesting reissues and modern jazz at the moment than it used to have, but still pretty much all new.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Got confused. I meant the King's Cross one, which has had a slight restock of its used selection since December and is worth a visit I think.

West has got more interesting reissues and modern jazz at the moment than it used to have, but still pretty much all new.

Thanks, Kings Cross is nearer and I don't have to survive the H&City line to get there.  Scarred for life by commuting to Westbourne Grove

19 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Warne Marsh - A Ballad Album (Criss Cross, 1984)

R-6725888-1577627341-5312.jpeg.jpg

Now playing:

Arthur Blythe - Metamorphosis (India Navigation, 1979).

R-1240610-1414941145-9085.jpeg.jpg

That Blythe is wonderful

Firstly

R-4314165-1361497380-2833.jpeg.jpg

Andrew Hill - Compulsion!!!!! [Blue Note, 1974 repress]

and now

R-1247517-1327361547.jpeg.jpg

Andrew Hill - Andrew!!! {Blue Note, 1968]

John Gilmore!!!!

Edited by mjazzg

Again:

R-15384117-1590664339-8612.jpeg.jpg

Hermeto Pascoal E Grupo - Lagoa Da Canoa Município De Arapiraca (Happy Hour/Som Da Gente, 1984)

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-6108131-1553978058-3169.jpeg.jpg

Andrew Hill - Blue Black [East Wind, 1977]

:tup 

All those records that Andrew Hill made for East Wind are terrific: Blue Black, Hommage, and Nefertiti.  

Inner City issued Nefertiti in the U.S., so it's probably the most well-known of the three -- but the other two have flown under the radar, relatively speaking.  I heard Hommage for the first time not that long ago, and it blew my mind!  

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Again:

R-15384117-1590664339-8612.jpeg.jpg

Hermeto Pascoal E Grupo - Lagoa Da Canoa Município De Arapiraca (Happy Hour/Som Da Gente, 1984)

:tup 

All those records that Andrew Hill made for East Wind are terrific: Blue Black, Hommage, and Nefertiti.  

Inner City issued Nefertiti in the U.S., so it's probably the most well-known of the three -- but the other two have flown under the radar, relatively speaking.  I heard Hommage for the first time not that long ago, and it blew my mind!  

Just plugged a "Hommage" sized hole in my collection, thanks for the prompt.  I completely agree about the other two.

How are you enjoying the Hermeto?

15 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Just plugged a "Hommage" sized hole in my collection, thanks for the prompt.  I completely agree about the other two.

I think you'll dig it! :tup 

16 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How are you enjoying the Hermeto?

Oh man, I love it!  There's something child-like about Hermeto's music -- a sort of openness or innocence -- but, at the same time, it's VERY sophisticated and poetic. 

I think he's in the same category as artists like Sun Ra and Rahsaan Roland Kirk.  They do more than write music; they create musical worlds that are unlike anyone else's. 

14 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I think you'll dig it! :tup 

Oh man, I love it!  There's something child-like about Hermeto's music -- a sort of openness or innocence -- but, at the same time, it's VERY sophisticated and poetic. 

I think he's in the same category as artists like Sun Ra and Rahsaan Roland Kirk.  They do more than write music; they create musical worlds that are unlike anyone else's. 

I like that description and completely agree although I don't really know enough about Hermeto yet - this will be rectified :).  Like the others there's a seeming totality to the music, it's concepts, conception and realisation.

as for "Hommage" - if I don't like it it will be the only Hill out of very nearly all of them that I own that I don't like, so I'm pretty confident.  I think I may have heard it a few years back.

Edited by mjazzg

1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

I like that description and completely agree although I don't really know enough about Hermeto yet - this will be rectified :).  Like the others there's a seeming totality to the music, it's concepts, conception and realisation.

Yes indeed!