wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

47,058 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

That Blythe is wonderful

Firstly

R-4314165-1361497380-2833.jpeg.jpg

Andrew Hill - Compulsion!!!!! [Blue Note, 1974 repress]

and now

R-1247517-1327361547.jpeg.jpg

Andrew Hill - Andrew!!! {Blue Note, 1968]

John Gilmore!!!!

On the Blythe, I love the mix of tuba and cello. 

Those are two of my favourite Hills too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again:

R-15384117-1590664339-8612.jpeg.jpg

Hermeto Pascoal E Grupo - Lagoa Da Canoa Município De Arapiraca (Happy Hour/Som Da Gente, 1984)

 

 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-6108131-1553978058-3169.jpeg.jpg

Andrew Hill - Blue Black [East Wind, 1977]

:tup 

All those records that Andrew Hill made for East Wind are terrific: Blue Black, Hommage, and Nefertiti.  

Inner City issued Nefertiti in the U.S., so it's probably the most well-known of the three -- but the other two have flown under the radar, relatively speaking.  I heard Hommage for the first time not that long ago, and it blew my mind!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NP:

R-3929019-1504641464-4068.jpeg.jpg

Jorge Dalto & The Interamerican Band - Urban Oasis (Concord Picante, 1985)

R-3929019-1504641464-9678.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Again:

R-15384117-1590664339-8612.jpeg.jpg

Hermeto Pascoal E Grupo - Lagoa Da Canoa Município De Arapiraca (Happy Hour/Som Da Gente, 1984)

 

 

:tup 

All those records that Andrew Hill made for East Wind are terrific: Blue Black, Hommage, and Nefertiti.  

Inner City issued Nefertiti in the U.S., so it's probably the most well-known of the three -- but the other two have flown under the radar, relatively speaking.  I heard Hommage for the first time not that long ago, and it blew my mind!  

 

Just plugged a "Hommage" sized hole in my collection, thanks for the prompt.  I completely agree about the other two.

How are you enjoying the Hermeto?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Just plugged a "Hommage" sized hole in my collection, thanks for the prompt.  I completely agree about the other two.

I think you'll dig it! :tup 

 

16 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How are you enjoying the Hermeto?

Oh man, I love it!  There's something child-like about Hermeto's music -- a sort of openness or innocence -- but, at the same time, it's VERY sophisticated and poetic. 

I think he's in the same category as artists like Sun Ra and Rahsaan Roland Kirk.  They do more than write music; they create musical worlds that are unlike anyone else's. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I think you'll dig it! :tup 

 

Oh man, I love it!  There's something child-like about Hermeto's music -- a sort of openness or innocence -- but, at the same time, it's VERY sophisticated and poetic. 

I think he's in the same category as artists like Sun Ra and Rahsaan Roland Kirk.  They do more than write music; they create musical worlds that are unlike anyone else's. 

 

I like that description and completely agree although I don't really know enough about Hermeto yet - this will be rectified :).  Like the others there's a seeming totality to the music, it's concepts, conception and realisation.

 

as for "Hommage" - if I don't like it it will be the only Hill out of very nearly all of them that I own that I don't like, so I'm pretty confident.  I think I may have heard it a few years back.

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

I like that description and completely agree although I don't really know enough about Hermeto yet - this will be rectified :).  Like the others there's a seeming totality to the music, it's concepts, conception and realisation.

Yes indeed! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-2421683-1464343277-9819.jpeg.jpg

I just can't get enough of River's live trio works from the '70's. So I've got this one, 'Streams' and the stuff on NoBuisness of course. Should I get Hues as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pim said:

R-2421683-1464343277-9819.jpeg.jpg

I just can't get enough of River's live trio works from the '70's. So I've got this one, 'Streams' and the stuff on NoBuisness of course. Should I get Hues as well?

Hues is definitely a good one.

I like the Tuba trio records too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Hues is definitely a good one.

I like the Tuba trio records too. 

Seconded, on both counts.  The Tuba trio is great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, that's more Rivers on the wishlist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One Upmanship by Mal Waldron (Enja, 1977)

R-2628016-1293982440.jpeg.jpg

It's been a bit of a Waldron day here. I woke up this morning with Lacy's soprano line to 'Johnny Come Lately' from Sempre Amore in my head, and haven't really escaped since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-1441455-1219959357.jpeg.jpg

Max Roach featuring Anthony Braxton [Black Saint, 1978]

beforehand

R-5383479-1392027742-9777.jpeg.jpg

Max Roach - Deeds Not Words [Riverside, UK 1968 RP]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Exotic Sounds of Bali (Columbia)

Johnny Hodges and Wild Bill Davis, Con-Soul Sax (RCA)The Exotic Sounds Of Bali album coverImage result for johnny hodges wild bill davis con soul sax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-3155610-1318307932.jpeg.jpg

Bill is cool enough, but William O. is damn near scary!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-3155610-1318307932.jpeg.jpg

Bill is cool enough, but William O. is damn near scary!

Always wanted to hear that, need to hunt it down in whatever format

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's out there at reasonable enough prices.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2021 at 7:00 PM, Rabshakeh said:

One Upmanship by Mal Waldron (Enja, 1977)

R-2628016-1293982440.jpeg.jpg

It's been a bit of a Waldron day here. I woke up this morning with Lacy's soprano line to 'Johnny Come Lately' from Sempre Amore in my head, and haven't really escaped since.

Sounds like a GOOD day to me.  :g

 

On 5/1/2021 at 8:47 AM, mjazzg said:

R-1441455-1219959357.jpeg.jpg

Max Roach featuring Anthony Braxton [Black Saint, 1978]

beforehand

R-5383479-1392027742-9777.jpeg.jpg

Max Roach - Deeds Not Words [Riverside, UK 1968 RP]

Two brilliant masterpieces.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aliro Diaz, The Classic Spanish Guitar (Vanguard)

Egberto Gismonti, FantasiaImage result for Alberto Diaz Spanish guitar vanguardImage result for egberto Gismonti Fantasia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burnin by Sonny Stitt on Argo. 
 

369EE993-2219-4590-93CF-63786DCAC875.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-6628352-1423412849-3118.jpeg.jpg

R-6082080-1563416118-4035.jpeg.jpg

a delightful little platter! Mine is mono, and none the worse for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NP:

51PzfsrB7rL._SY555_.jpg

Egberto Gismonti & Academia De Danças - Sanfona (ECM, 1981)
LP 1 of 2

Beautiful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.