• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jack Teagarden - Jack Teagarden!!! (Verve)

teagar_jack_jackteaga_102b.jpg

That lp was stolen from my dorm room in 1962 and I never replaced it.

Now listening to Sonny Rollins' There Will Never Be Another You as a result of another thread.

There is a great vocal by Jack on "All The Way" on this one. Much spirited playing all over here by the band, not on the level of the classics "Think Well Of Me" and "Mis'ry And The Blues" maybe, but a very fine album.

John Lndberg Trio - Give and Take [ Black Saint]

JL w Barry Altschul and George Lewis

nasty cover, great music. Lindberg with the energy and groove of his just 23 years at the time. Another piece in the ever-growing evidence pile that George Lewis is a guarantor of a quality session

Edited by mjazzg

Eric Dolphy 'Outward Bound' (Esquire, mono)

120492404422.jpg

Initialled by British critic Charles Fox on the back !

I remember the late Ed Dipple telling me he'd acquired Charles Fox's record collection. Looks like he didn't get everything - or was it subsequently sold on and you got this?

Clifford Jordan - The Pantagon

A really relaxed session for the East Wind label. I picked up the Direct Disc cutting out of Japan. Jordan with Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, Billy Higgins & Ray Manteca.

f0eb9ac75555dea6384df5aa510a0ba9_full.jpg

:tup That direct-cut recording is great !

I remember the late Ed Dipple telling me he'd acquired Charles Fox's record collection. Looks like he didn't get everything - or was it subsequently sold on and you got this?

No, not from CF's record collection but the Gramophone Magazine review copy. Reviewed by CF in Jan 1961.

Edited by sidewinder

Clifford Jordan - The Pantagon

A really relaxed session for the East Wind label. I picked up the Direct Disc cutting out of Japan. Jordan with Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, Billy Higgins & Ray Manteca.

f0eb9ac75555dea6384df5aa510a0ba9_full.jpg

:tup That direct-cut recording is great !

No, not from CF's record collection but the Gramophone Magazine review copy. It's near mint LP and cover, reviewed by CF in Jan 1961.

Nice! :tup

Nice! :tup

Yeah, those were the days when LP back covers had things like Carlo Kramer's phone no. on the back ('MUSeum 1810') and you could actually get through to the man himself (in the basement of the British Museum presumably, next to the mummy's tombs) direct via your antique hand-crank phone set and complain about Eric Dolphy's intonation. :D

Edited by sidewinder

41YZR3P2HCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Gary Burton Quintet - Dreams so Real: Music of Carla Bley (ECM). The band is Metheny and Mick Goodrick, Swallow, and Bob Moses. Hot Ptah and I both saw the Gary Burton Quartet (in different cities) right around this time. That was a long time ago, but I'm more convinced than ever that Metheny, Swallow and Moses were the other members of the Quartet at their Atlanta concert. Hot Ptah leans toward Goodrick as the guitarist at his show.

Edited by jeffcrom

41YZR3P2HCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Gary Burton Quintet - Dreams so Real: Music of Carla Bley (ECM). The band is Metheny and Mick Goodrick, Swallow, and Bob Moses. Hot Ptah and I both saw the Gary Burton Quartet (in different cities) right around this time. That was a long time ago, but I'm more convinced than ever that Metheny, Swallow and Moses were the other members of the Quartet at their Atlanta concert. Hot Ptah leans toward Goodrick as the guitarist at his show.

Like that one a lot. would've liked to see that band whichever the guitarist...

Johnny Hartman 'I Just Dropped By to Say Hello' (Impulse, mono)

johnny_hartman_hello_lp.jpg

Things are back to normal. I can check out brownie's daily vinyl listening. :)

Things have been very normal around here. Back home after a few weeks in lovely southern France, away from my records (and from O.), and back in business now :w