I know everyone here is a health food nut

What is your choice when you eat fast food, you know... once, twice a year....

Stake N' Shake was something my Mom craved when pregnant, and sadly, I too love their greasy spoon food...double stakeburger with cheese, with thousand Island and ketchup.... :wub: good fries as well, not too salty...

Mcdonalds is number 2(No jokes about being number 2, please! :rolleyes: )

cheap, fast and good fries as well.

Arby's 3rd. At least I can pretend the food there is healthier...they are never crowded, in and out in 5 minutes...in fact, they don't seem to do enough business to stay in business! :ph34r:

Taco belch, err Taco Hell, I mean Taco bell. Seems that the resturant makes the taco bell. One can be really pretty good, another puts little sour cream, or cheese on a taco....

Burger King 5th....well, the wopper doesn't give me too much indigestion...the fries are not so hot, IMHO.

Wendy's. I have known more people that swore they had the best burgers, man...Kangaroo meat has to be better than what they put in their burgers.

Working for them 20+ years ago did NOT make me like 'em any more....

So, any other fans of fast food??? Mister Sangrey???

The only fast-food I eat with any regularity is Taco Bell (probably 10 or 12 times a year, usually when I’m on some sort of road-trip, like to St. Louis). Nobody would ever confuse Taco Bell with real Mexican food -- but it is consistently good, and probably not as bad for you as many other fast-food places (or so I suspect). That, and I'm a sucker for McDonald's breakfast burritos, if I'm looking for fast-food in the morning (usually only a few times a year).

Otherwise, I never set foot in a McDonalds, or Hardies, or Burger King, or Arby's, or really any of the other traditional fast-food chains.

Most of the rest of my "faster" food choices are what I guess the industry calls "upscale fast food", like the relatively new burrito-wrap places, or the bagel chains with the fancy sandwiches. But even then, only a couple times a month, at most.

Fortunately there are a whole bunch of independently owned restaurants really close to where we live (within a mile or less), many of which are family owned. Two great Vietnamese restaurants, a Thai place, a couple good Indian restaurants, a great, authentic Italian deli with pastas and sandwiches, and a couple good, authentic Mexican places. Luckily, several of them are relatively fast too, if you don't hit them right during rush time.

Also, there's also a chain sandwich shop ("Planet Sub"), that started right here in Kansas City (actually, it started as "Yellow Sub" in Lawrence, KS - where my wife went to school at K.U.), as we go there fairly often for "fast" food too. They bake their own bread, and overall - they're light-years better than Subway, or Jimmy John's.

Yes, I have to admit that my idea of "fast food" these days is the (McDonald's owned?) Chipotle with their tacos and burritos, and places like Thundercloud Subs, a local (Austin only?) sandwhich shop.

Partly it is because having no car and not being near other restaurants like Wendy's and McD's etc. I gravitate to those on my bus route or near my home. And partly it is because my wife is not really a fan of these other places, and we do almost all our eating together (which I am quite happy about). And partly because. . . I didn't grow up eating at those places. I ate mom's food, I ate boarding school and college cafeteria food, I ate grandmas' and my incredible cooking Great Aunt Erma's food, and I soon as a young adult learned to eat my own cooking. . . .

And when I go out to eat I really want to eat either Mexican or Indian food. . . . there are a number of great Mexican restaurants we frequent, and one stellar Indian food establishment (the Clay Pit).

Edited by jazzbo

Yes, I have to admit that my idea of "fast food" these days is the (McDonald's owned?) Chipotle with their tacos and burritos, and places like Thundercloud Subs, a local (Austin only?) sandwhich shop.

Chipotle is not bad for fast food.

I'm not a huge fan of the typical fast food restaurant, so I do what I can to avoid them.

I usually hit a local deli/sub shop (Miracle Mile or Sacks). If in the mood for a Burger I go to a place called the Burger Factory, or go to the Chicago Hamburger Co. and get a chili or bagel dog.

Chipotle is da'bomb. Period. End of story. But "fast food"? No wait staff, true, but no drive-through either...

I like Arby's too, especially the jalapeno poppers, made with CREAM cheese, instead of the pasteurized whizzy doodle jizz that everybody else uses. Their Market Fresh sammiches are shockingly good, too - the bread is REAL. And that Big Montana (with tons of Horsey Sauce, of course of course) is a perfect road scarf.

Boston Market for anything but chicken, which means sides, sides, sides!

Popeye's. Yeah!

The Bell is good, and if you don't eat the meat (I've heard they use "substandard" grade meat, but pay the fine anyway because it's more profitable than using better meat and not paying the fine. Probably an urban legend, but it's a good un), actually halfway healthy - no lard in the beans, etc. But I do eat the meat. One drag though - most of the employees put the food together in a way that is extremely driver-unfriendly. Hey - if I wanted to get out of my car to eat, do you think I'd be eating the hell at Taco Bell? Think, dammit, THINK!

All-round favorite fast-food, though, is Jack In The Box, not because it's good (it's not), but because they give you seemingly infinite choices of whatever kind of bad it is that you may want. Burgers, "tacos", deli sandwhiches, teriaki bowls, whatever it it, they have it, and it's all... edible. But they've consistently been open late, and when you're driving home from a gig hungry as hell but don't want to go inside a Waffle House, the allure of driving through Jack and getting a Sourdough Jack, a teriki bowl, some eggrolls (w/guacamole, of course), a Pannido, and 2 tacos for 99 cents is not to be discounted. Besides, their new creamy caramel shake (made with REAL ice cream, thank you) is the real deal. They've got hip commercials too. Can't beat that.

Guest Chaney

(My daily Seinfeld remembrance: Jerry's buying a car -- interested in the black Saab -- George is along for support. Puddy's been promoted to salesman. In the showroom, Puddy and Elaine return from lunch. Jerry asks, "Where'd you eat?" Elaine squirms and tries to cover up where she and her cheap, no class beau had dined. Puddy volunteers, "Arby's." Elaine, with evident discomfort: "We had the roast beef." ^_^ )

~~~~~~~~~~~

Being a non-meat eater, for me, most of the available fast food choices aren't an option.

Basically, I don't eat at fast food joints.

Weekness: ice cream and frozen yogurt.

Also, I occasionally eat Doritos and when I do, I overindulge and pay the price. (Let's just say that for a few days thereafter, I'm an infrequent user of the facilities. :winky: )

Edited by Chaney

I've been on a low-carb diet since July, so the only fast food I've had is Burger King's Whopper w/o bun. When I'm not dieting, I like:

Chipotle

Qdoba (like Chipotle)

Rubio's (they don't have 'em here in the Midwest, unfortunately. Love their fish tacos!)

In 'n' Out (again, not in the Midwest)

Taco Bell

Papa John's

Inta Juice or Jamba Juice for smoothies

Even Wendy's and McDonald's aren't that bad. My wife and I aren't that picky when it comes to fast food. Really, though, I prefer to eat at sit-down places.

Screw McD's and all the other chains (except maybe Pollo Tropical down in FL). For me it's all about Felipe's and Anna's .

After an encounter with a DISGUSTING chicken sandwich at BK 5 years ago--it was either partly rotten or partly uncooked or just REALLY gristly--I didn't go there again until this summer, when I was almost stranded for the night at the Kuala Lumpur airport. (It's possibly the only BK with Internet access.) I had a double Whopper with cheese and even I was surprised at how terrible my stomach felt afterwards.

Edited by Big Wheel

Haven't done Mickey D's or Burger King since college; never cared for Wendy's and cannot for the life of me even consider Taco Bell.

Like Jim, I do go for the Market Fresh Sammitc at Arby's occasionally. I also think their fries (the curly style) are far and away the best.

Boston Market is another semi-regular lunch time stop, though that declined markedly when they dropped ham from the menu.

I've tried Quiznos a couple of times, not bad, not great either. I did like that Roast Beef Dip sandwich they're promoting lately.

I do like Quizno's and Schlotzky's but the prices are high enough that I left them out of my post, thinking they only halfway qualify for this thread. Schlotzky's in particular is not particularly fast--the sandwich takes quite a while to make it to the counter, in my experience.

Also, I occasionally eat Doritos and when I do, I overindulge and pay the price.  (Let's just say that for a few days thereafter, I'm an infrequent user of the facilities

Did you mean to say infrequent? Man, when I O.D. on Doritos I have the OPPOSITE problem.

I will from time to time crave some kind of fast-food fix. It seems like a good idea at first, but invariably after eating I always feel crappy. KFC or (heaven forbid) Popeyes alway do that to me. And Long John Silver's. Blechhh.

When I lived in Chicago I got into a late-night White Castle slider thing. Never had to set my alarm for the next morning- nature's call would do the trick without fail and a fair amount of urgency.

I just can't eat that crap anymore. I do like Chipotle, Schlotzke's, Planet Sub and Quizno's. I really liked that weird Quizno's commercial that had the singing gerbil-things. It was probably too weird for mainstream America, 'cause it disappeared.

I miss Taco Cabana from my Austin days.

Wow...I really don't do fast food much at all any more. An occasional trip to Subway or Togos is about it. I was a regular at Baja Fresh for a while, until I realized how much fat I was woofing down there. Like Lon, I'm limited by no car. Believe me, you learn fast that Mickey D's ain't worth walking... The wife drives when we go out, but she absolutely loathes most fast food.

So, healthy eating? Nah; I loves my steak too much to make that claim, but fast food I'll pass on...

For me, it's all about the hot dog stands. Little mom and pop joints where you get a couple of hot dogs, fries and a soda for $3. The one right by my place has the best deal in the universe if you've gotta eat out and you're light on $$. Pizza Puff, fries and a bottle of soda for $2.75. You won't eat again all day. Then again, you won't want to... :P

This is not fast food (and not cheap!). However, I've heard/read the restaurant offers some of the tastiest food available.

Ruth's Chris

Here in KC there are several excellent steak joints. Ruth's Chris is part of a chain, and a very good one. Very pricey too, as most of these steak places are. There are places I prefer here in KC, though.

My feeling is that I can prepare a steak at home on my grill for A LOT LESS $$ that's just about as good (I have a great butcher shop near my house). It's all about the quality of the meat, baby!

The real attraction of the fancy places tends to be the good side dishes, IMHO. And yes, it is fun to occasionally drop some $$ and get a first class meal.

I do like Quizno's and Schlotzky's but the prices are high enough that I left them out of my post, thinking they only halfway qualify for this thread. Schlotzky's in particular is not particularly fast--the sandwich takes quite a while to make it to the counter, in my experience.

Quizno's is one of the better chain sub stores out there.

This is not fast food (and not cheap!). However, I've heard/read the restaurant offers some of the tastiest food available.

Ruth's Chris

Here in KC there are several excellent steak joints. Ruth's Chris is part of a chain, and a very good one. Very pricey too, as most of these steak places are. There are places I prefer here in KC, though.

My feeling is that I can prepare a steak at home on my grill for A LOT LESS $$ that's just about as good (I have a great butcher shop near my house). It's all about the quality of the meat, baby!

The real attraction of the fancy places tends to be the good side dishes, IMHO. And yes, it is fun to occasionally drop some $$ and get a first class meal.

Another attraction I think for Ruth Chris is the topnotch service. Basically a 1 or even 2 to 1 ratio of wait staff to tables, so the attention level is way up there.

And another thing, FFA: Do the steaks come to your table sitting on top of 200 degree plates? Does your steak stay hot through the whole meal?

;)