Richard "Prophet" Jennings Passes

ValerieB

Richard "Prophet" Jennings

Crossed over to the Jersey side on

December 18, 2005

He leaves behind his beloved daughter, Dominique Jennings.

Memorial Services will be held on

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Hollywood Forever

6000 Santa Monica Boulevard

Hollywood, CA 90038

(323) 469-1181

In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to the

HUEMAN Foundation

P.O. Box 36807, Los Angeles, CA 90036

In memory of Richard Jennings

(from Ken Goldstein, director of the film, "Prophet Speaks": PROPHET SPEAKS tells the story of writer, painter, filmmaker, and philosopher, Richard Jennings, and of his importance to the world of black entertainers, mainstream music, and comedy. Among those who gravitated towards him were the artists who are now considered legends: John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Aretha Franklin, Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor, Sonny Rollins, and Max Roach, just to name a few.

The ‘Prophet’, as Richard is known, began his life as an entertainer dancing around the steel mills of Youngstown, Ohio, in the early 30s. But he soon became a pioneering journalist covering the music scene in Detroit. Despite bouts of illness and personal tragedy, Prophet took up painting and filmmaking while maintaining a lifestyle in the hub of the jazz world for the last half of the 20th Century. )

Edited by ValerieB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest akanalog

shouldn't this topic get moved to another section? maybe it would engender some discussion about the man and his work.

unles...did he do any artwork for organissimo????????

the memorial was as beautiful as it could possibly be. very elegant but soulful as well. the chapel was busting at the seams. there was an incredible self-portrait of prophet at the front, surrounded by gorgeous white floral arrangements. those who spoke made it a poignant but also hilarious time. tootie heath incorporated both emotions. joe zawinul was there with his family. david banks (richard pryor's sidekick) was hilarious. clarence avant (used to head up motown as well as other companies) was wonderful in his reminiscing of their very long-time relationship. bennie maupin spoke and played solo. wren brown, the actor, served as m.c. for awhile. great slide show. and, best of all, prophet himself in a documentary of him that was produced a few years back.

Guest akanalog

valerieb, why don't you move this thread so people might see it?

how did it get in here anyway?

it is not my business but i think this section is for discussion of organissimo. like i said, maybe mr. jennings did some art for the band, but i don't think so.

more people would read this if it was in like the "artists" section.

it is not my business but i think this section is for discussion of organissimo. like i said, maybe mr. jennings did some art for the band, but i don't think so.

you are quite right, akanalog, that this is the wrong forum for this. i had thought it was in an appropriate one. i don't think i can move it. or i don't know how to if it's possible. i think the moderator needs to do it

you are quite right, akanalog, that this is the wrong forum for this. i had thought it was in an appropriate one. i don't think i can move it. or i don't know how to if it's possible. i think the moderator needs to do it

That's right.

• 7 years later...

yes, Clifford, Prophet lived in Sweden in the '60s, I believe (and maybe before that). he was married to a beautiful Swedish hostess for SAS who died in a crash off the CA Coast in the late '60s. their daughter Dominique was born in Sweden. Prophet knew practically everyone in the jazz world, including Sonny, Max, Miles, Mingus, etc., etc.