Music in the Herbie Hancock "Headhunter's" vein

michel1969

This thread covers a lot of ground.

Herbie Hancock: 1968- 1978 (The Funk Period)

Seriously, there's quite a bit of discussion about this very topic on the thread (link) I've quoted here, and posted above.

The two Eddie Henderson leader dates on Capricorn (compiled together on one CD) are my favorite of this kind of music, even above Herbie's own material. See the thread above for a more detailed discussion.

Cheers!! :)

Seriously, there's quite a bit of discussion about this very topic on the thread (link) I've quoted here, and posted above.

The two Eddie Henderson leader dates on Capricorn (compiled together on one CD) are my favorite of this kind of music, even above Herbie's own material. See the thread above for a more detailed discussion.

I haven't heard the Hendersons, but from descriptions it seems they sound more like Herbie's pre-Headhunters material. Hence, I am not sure they are a good recommendation.

Weather Report from 1973 to 1976 might fit the bill. They definitely do the improvisation-over-funky-grooves thing.

What about the Crusaders' early 70s music? I haven't heard a lot of it.

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

Run, don't walk, and pick up Patrice Rushen's "Prelusion." I think it's a two-fer with "After the Dawn" on the current CD reissue. Amazing Rhodes player, very much in the spirit of keyboard-driven funk. I think the album is from 1975 or thereabouts. She got into the sex-symbol, smooth R&B thing later in her career, but if you catch the right albums, she's a very tough funk player.

Apparently Ramon Ricker (maybe he's best known for a short book on pentatonic scales) has some classic records from that era, but I haven't hunted them out yet. George Duke. Richard Tee. But I can't think of anyone aside from Rushen who really explored that same area of the groove as Herbie. Plenty of Hammond players, of course, macerated the funk up, but I'm assuming you want more piano-centric sounds for the moment.

Edited by j lee

Run, don't walk, and pick up Patrice Rushen's "Prelusion." I think it's a two-fer with "After the Dawn" on the current CD reissue. Amazing Rhodes player, very much in the spirit of keyboard-driven funk. I think the album is from 1975 or thereabouts. She got into the sex-symbol, smooth R&B thing later in her career, but if you catch the right albums, she's a very tough funk player.

Apparently Ramon Ricker (maybe he's best known for a short book on pentatonic scales) has some classic records from that era, but I haven't hunted them out yet. George Duke. Richard Tee. But I can't think of anyone aside from Rushen who really explored that same area of the groove as Herbie. Plenty of Hammond players, of course, macerated the funk up, but I'm assuming you want more piano-centric sounds for the moment.

You know, I know Ray Ricker from his teaching at Eastman, and am not aware of any recordings like Headhunters.

Could it be this one?

Ramon Ricker Double Play Open Loop OL-002

ricker_ray.jpg

You know, I know Ray Ricker from his teaching at Eastman, and am not aware of any recordings like Headhunters.

Could it be this one?

Ramon Ricker Double Play Open Loop OL-002

Could well be -- I don't have any of his records (although I did enjoy his book at a certain point in my life). I just heard somebody somewhere mention that his recordings could be a good source for somebody trying to...ah, damn, I got nothing. I think I must have misinterpreted what I originally *thought* I heard about some of his records from the mid-1970s.

I didn't originally see the recommendation for the Mike Clark/Paul Jackson record -- I'm going to be picking that one up *soon*!

Kenny Barron, "Peruvian Blue" (Muse) is a nice one, with great Rhodes playing, but I don't know that I'd call it Headhunters-ish so much.

I'm sure I mentioned it in the other thread we had on this topic, but Bennie Maupin's Slow Traffic To The Right is a good one in the Headhunters vein. I found it on used vinyl for three clams and just transferred it to my computer for further listening. The cover has a photo of Bennie smiling real goofy-like while seated on a ten speed bike.

• 2 weeks later...

as a first post on this forum, I say thanks for the info, also!

there is a nice reisue of eddie henderson's sunburst in the blue note series!