new OJC Remasters

Popkin

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they do the two Mobleys separately, and the Timmons Xmas album, I'll be down with this series.

Bertrand.

And the Patterson Christmas album, with the same title as the Timmons.

PLEASE!

MG

Yeah, good luck with all that. I imagine they're gonna do the same old titles.

are they going to do 24 bit reissues of Contemporary, Pablo and Galaxy stuff too? The only thing I can think they'd do with new Pablo 24 bit OJC's is restore the original covers.

Well apparently, restoring the Pablo covers are not in the cards so far, as the new 24bit Joe Pass album cover is the same lousy one they used for the old OJC and K2. The original Virtuoso cover is way cooler than that bland one they keep on using. Another complaint I have, though, besides the album cover art, is the tinny sound on the older editions, as it is one of the few OJC's and K2's that never sounded good to me. Perhaps this new 24bit edition will finally make this session sound fuller and more robust.

With EMI a disaster (in this regard probably only slightly ahead of the other major labels), maybe Concord can buy Blue Note - it fits in with their "adult music"/reissue profile - and begin reissuing Blue Note albums in some kind of OJC/RVG/Keepnews Collection series. I could use a new version of "Soul Station," with updated notes by Ira Gitler.

With EMI a disaster (in this regard probably only slightly ahead of the other major labels), maybe Concord can buy Blue Note - it fits in with their "adult music"/reissue profile - and begin reissuing Blue Note albums in some kind of OJC/RVG/Keepnews Collection series. I could use a new version of "Soul Station," with updated notes by Ira Gitler.

:D

But Concord would never reissue anything that hasn't already been out at least eight times.

MG

If you really could use a new version of Soul Station, get the XRCD, sounds marvelous.

I would be all for that, I love what Tarantino has been doing with the latest remasters.

Actually, if COncord did buy Blue Note, wouldn't that give them a half share in Mosaic? I should think that's a specific Blue Note asset not a general EMI asset.

So MC could start to mine the Prestige catalogue for unreleased gems - like a Freddie McCoy set :D

MG

I hope the partnership would go in that direction rather than it going the other direction, and being stuff like "The Complete Miles Davis Plays For Lovers Sessions".

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I was at my local Exchange store and saw the Brubeck and took a look at it. First, these are not digipacks, but jewel cased cds. Secondly, they are in the "OJC" tradition, but without the "OJC" logo on the front cd cover. They have a clear jewel insert, but I couldn't see what it said under the cd, since it was a sealed copy. Overall, its an attractive package.

Yeah, what a sad year or two for reissues: no conns, no rvgs, barely a Prestige rvg or two. Those days are long gone, if we're discussing a remastered edition of Soul Station.

Boy, you aren't kidding. I can't remember a year like this in many a year.

• 4 months later...