miles65

Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

1,119 posts in this topic

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:15 PM, miles65 said:

The Charles Tolliver big band select is now sold out.

Sad day.  Amazing material that shouldn't be out of print.

The Quincy Jones set is now oop.

On 21/10/2016 at 3:29 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Sad day.  Amazing material that shouldn't be out of print.

How does the NDR disc stand up to the others?

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

How does the NDR disc stand up to the others?

Love it, every bit as good as the earlier two Tolliver big band dates for Strata East.

21 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Love it, every bit as good as the earlier two Tolliver big band dates for Strata East.

thanks, that may just swing it (pun unintended). I've found an available copy  

Edited by mjazzg

On 23 October 2016 at 6:10 PM, bluesoul said:

Ebay seller bluenotesound  has a bunch of out-of-print stuff listed, some with multiple copies, like there are 4 available of the George Shearing set.

Thanks very much for this. Got three much-coveted sets that went oop before I discovered Mosaic.

8 hours ago, crisp said:

Thanks very much for this. Got three much-coveted sets that went oop before I discovered Mosaic.

I was tempted with one of those Buck Claytons but the postage and import charges plus a weak £ turned me off. Great opportunity to pick up some mint low numbered sets though !

Yes, financially a bad move but (a) I have yearned for the sets I bought for nearly 20 years (b) they are all new condition and (c) the seller seems trustworthy ;)

For those who may have missed the email from Mosaic...

The Duke Ellington Big Band set and the Ella Fitzgerald/Chick Webb sets are currently back from the dead.

I had to snag one of those Ellington sets for myself as I missed it the first time around... :)

The Jimmie Lunceford complete Decca set, The Classic Earl Hines Sessions 1928-1945, The Rosemay Clooney CBS radio recordings and the Stan Getz Norgran Studio sessions (LP set) are now running low. The Monk/Coltrane LP has sold out.

Ugh - the Linceford and the Hines at the same time ....

Just ordered the Lunceford. That's the one I want the most. Now if they put the Chick Webb on Last Chance next month, too, I'll pass out.

Edited by mikeweil

The Lunceford was a revelation to me.

How much of the Lunceford has vocals?

7 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Ugh - the Linceford and the Hines at the same time ....

Exactly my reaction too..

Unexpected post-Christmas shopping required, but Hines & Lunceford can't get away!

Re: Vocals on the Lunceford ... most of 'em are pretty fun I'd say. Essential music fersure!

I have the two Decca CDs Orrin Keepnews compiled - the vocals therein are all real hip. Without them the band wouldn't have been what it was.

20 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

The Lunceford was a revelation to me.

Same here, when I had a closer listen to the Decca/GRP CDs. I think it's not exaggerating when I put the band in one league with Ellington during the years covered by this set.

9 hours ago, king ubu said:

Re: Vocals on the Lunceford ... most of 'em are pretty fun I'd say. Essential music fersure!

Depends on the period and the singers you refer to. I am slightly underwhelmed by quite a bit of the Dan Grissom stuff. Hasn't aged well.

On 19.1.2017 at 8:42 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

Depends on the period and the singers you refer to. I am slightly underwhelmed by quite a bit of the Dan Grissom stuff. Hasn't aged well.

Yes, but when some of the band members sing (there's that trio) or when they all sing, I usually quite enjoy it.

I'll be listening to the band, no matter if there's vocals or not. I'm thinking that it's time for me to deal with Jimmy Lunceford, period.

I have some Lunceford on some European P.D. sets, and there are a lot of vocals, so I'm not sure I need more.  Thinking I'd rather splurge on the Earl Hines, Chick Webb and/or James P. Johnson boxes, of which I have little to any of the material.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:35 AM, JSngry said:

Unexpected post-Christmas shopping required, but Hines & Lunceford can't get away!

The right choice.

1 hour ago, bigbandrecord said:

Any thoughts/insights on the Rosemary Clooney set that is on running low.  As far as vocals are concerned the years of this set is about where my cutoff is for vocals......I like older(1920's-50's) vocals not the newer stuff.

I own it.  Rosie is in fine voice.  But there are two things you should know:  Most of the tracks are very short - two minutes or so.  And most tracks have a backing combo whose lead instrument is organ.  That organ is not greasy.  This lends an unusual texture to a lot of the tracks.  You should try to hear some complete tracks to see if it's to your taste.