Soul Stream, AKA Mike Flanigin's Debut CD

Dan Gould

Was anyone else inspired to check out the debut recording by Mike Flanigin, our own Soul Stream and his band, Dupree? Jim Alfredson's reference in his last Big John Patton update made me plunk down the cash, even without any song snippets at the website:

http://publichifi.bigcartel.com/

And I am damn glad I did. Mike sounds great on B3 and guitarist Jake Langley is a monster, IMHO. Great tunes too, with covers of Tina Brooks' David the King, Horace Silver's Cookin at the Continental, and great originals like Mike's own The Turtle.

You can even get it as an 8-Track or vinyl. Give it a chance, you won't be disappointed.

I'm sure Mike can sell you one direct. Contact him here or on FB.

It's a great CD. Jake Langley is a bad boy.

I'm not on FB, but yeah, good suggestion, will try like this!

@Dan: I know, but I'm not into buying MP3 albums that cost nearly as much as CD. (And yes, I'm willing to pay more for a CD, but less for MP3 than they usually go for.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all...thanks for all the kind words! I really appreciate it. King, you can order the cd direct from the band website www.dupreeband.com also there is also a link on my site www.mikeflanigin.com (Thanks Jim for lettin me plug here) Glad that those that have heard it, enjoyed it. It was fun to make, all live to 2 track tape in an afternoon! ..Vinyl really sounds alive ;)

Hey Mike...yes, I would say the vinyl really brings out the open-ness of the sound. 3 guys in one live sounding room, no seperation. Its just a digital vs analog thing on that for me. I doubt we'll ever do vinyl again as its just so expensive though. Plus we did a gatefold and colored vinyl and wanted to keep it at $20. Not a great business move, but a great value I think.

Hey all...thanks for all the kind words! I really appreciate it. King, you can order the cd direct from the band website www.dupreeband.com also there is also a link on my site www.mikeflanigin.com (Thanks Jim for lettin me plug here) Glad that those that have heard it, enjoyed it. It was fun to make, all live to 2 track tape in an afternoon! ..Vinyl really sounds alive ;)

Thanks for getting back to me, Mike! But I was there ... I get redirected to the site http://publichifi.bigcartel.com/ and there when I put the CD into the cart, it says "select another country, we don't ship to Switzerland" (same for any other country I tried, Germany, France, Zimbabwe ...). It works for the vinyl, but shipping is 25$ which is rather steep (I guess for the CD, a maximum of 15$ should do?)

I'd go for the vinyl, but $ 25 shipping ... I know it's not you to blame, overseas shipping charges went overboard everywhere in the last two years. I'll do some neditating on it.

Strangely, when I select the CD on the site linked above, it says "We don't ship to Germany" ..... :huh:

Hey King, Mike.... if you contact Fabian from the label at store@public-hifi.com he will take care of you. He said he tried the BigCartel link and it worked to Switzerland and Germany for him...however, that said, who knows with computers, ect. He said just shipping a CD alone would be $14 overseas. A vinyl album would be $25 for shipping. He said he could fit a CD in along with a vinyl for the same $25 shipping price if you wanted both. Sorry about the high shipping costs. That's just what it costs us to do. Pretty ridiculous and really shuts down overseas sales more or less. Too bad, I know that was a recent change right before we released the album. Bad timing on that.

Thanks Conn for the good vibes...glad you dig it!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to listen to this a few weeks ago, and it's VERRRRY good. Mike plays some greazzzy organ(had to wipe my glasses a few times!), and the drummer and guitarist are right with him, a true trio disc. I Played some cuts for some friends who are not jazz buffs and they dug the immense groove on the disc. I highly recommend it.