Head Man

Japanese Jazz

114 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

And there I was thinking Haino as we are in a Japan Jazz thread...

That's what happened the first time Heino came up, a few pages ago.

Then Heino made a comeback when discussing music to clear a party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bringing things (at least momentarily) back on topic ... fans of Japanese Jazz need to hear this album:

R-1360293-1569684221-2021.jpeg.jpg

Jazz Orchestra '73

If this album were a cocktail (of influences), then the mixture might be, in nearly equal parts:

• Sun Ra
• Charles Mingus
• Woody Herman
• Toshiko Akiyoshi
• Henry Threadgill (possibly)

Terumasa Hino has some standout solos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Heino back to Hino. 

It looks really interesting from your description. I'll definitely check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Late said:

Bringing things (at least momentarily) back on topic ... fans of Japanese Jazz need to hear this album:

R-1360293-1569684221-2021.jpeg.jpg

Jazz Orchestra '73

If this album were a cocktail (of influences), then the mixture might be, in nearly equal parts:

• Sun Ra
• Charles Mingus
• Woody Herman
• Toshiko Akiyoshi
• Henry Threadgill (possibly)

Terumasa Hino has some standout solos. 

The followup album, Jazz Orchestra '75, is a fun listen, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

From Heino back to Hino. 

 

via Haino, this is becoming the alternative "Name three people"  thread

3 hours ago, Late said:

Bringing things (at least momentarily) back on topic ... fans of Japanese Jazz need to hear this album:

R-1360293-1569684221-2021.jpeg.jpg

Jazz Orchestra '73

If this album were a cocktail (of influences), then the mixture might be, in nearly equal parts:

• Sun Ra
• Charles Mingus
• Woody Herman
• Toshiko Akiyoshi
• Henry Threadgill (possibly)

Terumasa Hino has some standout solos. 

Really enjoying this one, thanks or posting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It looks really interesting from your description. I'll definitely check it out.

:tup Just click on that YouTube link (above) and let it spin ...

It's currently available at CD Japan and Dusty Groove (and likely many other places as well). 1500¥.

The opening of the first track reminds me of The Solar Myth Approach. Later on there's definitely a Mingus vibe. 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Really enjoying this one, thanks for posting.

:tup:party:

3 hours ago, B. Clugston said:

The followup album, Jazz Orchestra '75, is a fun listen, too.

I haven't heard that one! Must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Late said:

Bringing things (at least momentarily) back on topic ... fans of Japanese Jazz need to hear this album:

R-1360293-1569684221-2021.jpeg.jpg

Jazz Orchestra '73

If this album were a cocktail (of influences), then the mixture might be, in nearly equal parts:

• Sun Ra
• Charles Mingus
• Woody Herman
• Toshiko Akiyoshi
• Henry Threadgill (possibly)

Terumasa Hino has some standout solos. 

This is really good.

Kenji Mōri is fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

This is really good.

Kenji Mōri is fantastic.

:tup Yes!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 1:29 PM, Rabshakeh said:

One artist who appears rarely on this forum is Masahiko Satoh. 

He's one of those musicians from Japan who flowered in the 70s and 80s across styles and who, as a result, left a fairly inaccessible discography that I have never known where to start with.

Have you heard Trinity?

R-5263508-1389033285-3442.jpeg.jpg

R-5263508-1389033293-6257.jpeg.jpg

It's a good record, though (for my own taste) I think Favre overplays. There are a few smaller cymbals that he just won't leave alone. Still, the overall vibe of the album makes it worth hearing/owning. It was recently reissued in Japan (on compact disc). "Trinity"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Late said:

 

It's a good record, though (for my own taste) I think Favre overplays. There are a few smaller cymbals that he just won't leave alone. Still, the overall vibe of the album makes it worth hearing/owning. It was recently reissued in Japan (on compact disc). "Trinity"

Thanks! I shall check it out.

I do know what you mean about Favre. He seriously overembellishes. Sometimes it works nicely I think, like on that Intakt duo he did with Irene Schweizer, but it can get a bit much. Overall, I still see his presence on a record as a draw.

Meanwhile, I am currently listening to this unbelievable record:

R-1210602-1350166559-4555.jpeg.jpg

Not Japanese of course (although Takada Midori is on it). But then nor was Heino. It is incredibly good anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Meanwhile, I am currently listening to this unbelievable record:

R-1210602-1350166559-4555.jpeg.jpg

Not Japanese of course (although Takada Midori is on it). But then nor was Heino. It is incredibly good anyway. 

Don't know that one — I will have to check it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Late said:

Don't know that one — I will have to check it out!

I think someone on here recommended it too me in a post about Korean free improv and jazz which I can no longer find. To whoever it was - Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it's excellent. There are a few volumes of his work in the NoBusiness Chap Chap series as well. My understanding is that he played a lot in Japan and may have lived there as well (can't remember). I know I got my copy of Korean Free Music from a Japanese seller years ago and I feel like a lot of copies ended up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.