Arlene Sierra

JSngry

She's an attractive young-ish woman who writes good charts with a rather, shall we say, detailed and specific sense of rhythm which she sustains through all sorts of motions and counter-motions, I have both of her Bridge records and could maybe fall in love except just platonically, because age and fatness have subdued my ability to counter-parry those rhythms with the degree of precision and nuance as they are first-parried, because anybody who knows what they want THAT exactly deserves to get it, or at least to get a chance to try to get it. But if I was a younger man, oh yes I would.

I go to the DSO and hear this Christopher Rouse bland shit like it some kind of Masterpiece Of Our Time, blah, blick, and bluck. Play me some Arlene Sierra, bitttshes, play me some Arlene Sierra!

Hey, I got one of Sierra's Bridge albums, too, and am just dipping into it. Very impressive so far.

My one encounter with Rouse's music -- I think it was his prize-winning trombone concerto -- was pretty annoying. That kind of "large" emptiness is an art in itself, capable of killing off good-sized populations.

On a more positive note, is the twinkle in these eyes a reflection of the inner spirit, a totally random quirk of genetics, or something I'm entirely imagining/projecting?

I wonder if she wore braces as a kid.

None of which has anything to do with the music, but maybe it does, at some level? There's a rare-ish combination of the totally nice and the totally together there that we'd all like to think we have...

Whatever, the woman's work is pretty damn totally together, and that, as they say, is all that really matters.

Nah, it's not like that. It could be, though...

The serious point is this - for whatever reason, most of the classical music of the last 25 or so years that I've heard that really connects with me has been written by women composers (and most from the last 50 years or so by either women or non-Western European European composers) but most of what I see/hear getting the big pimpage is shit like Christopher Rouse and other males who sound like It's All Over But The Career, so, you know, let's play The Girl Game and see if that doesn't get something going. Becasue I'm tired of dead-end maleage. There's lessons to be learned, and people available to teach them that are not also dead-end males.

And Arlene Sierra is certainly seeming to be prime among them.

• 3 years later...