BFT 145 Reveal

Dan Gould

Thanks to all for participating. Without any further adieu …

Track 1:

Bear Tracks” (Teddy Edwards)

Teddy Edwards Tentet, Angel City (Unissued Clover Session)

From Joe Castro, Lush Life (Sunnyside)

Edwards, tenor sax,

Freddie Hill, trumpet, Lou Blackburn, John Ewing, Lester Robertson, trombone;

Jack Wilson, piano, John Gray guitar, Leroy Vinegar bass, Carl Lott drums

Track 2:

Bag's Groove”

Howard McGhee Quintet

Europa Jazz 1056

Howard McGhee, Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Billy Taylor piano; Gene Taylor bass, Connie Kay drums

There was much discussion about this one and you may very well question why I stuck to my guns about the source of this recording. Very simple: It's from Europa Jazz 1056, not Europa Jazz 1039 which is what HP figured it must be. And in addition, this is the version that actually correctly identifies the tune as 'Bag's Groove'. And for that matter says it was recorded in 1960.

Anyway, there was probably a third trumpeter – I won't contradict more learned ears than mine – and its probably Thad. But I can only go by what's in front of me. Turns out it was the perfect BFT track. :g 

Track 3:

Ah, the biggest mystery of all. I'd like to point out my promised “hints” post:

As for #3 I can't help but think it unfortunate that some have crapped all over the leader's presumably hand-picked band.”

This was actually a hint. I went on to make reference to “shit yourself” and “SOL”. I did this in the hopes that someone might have a brainstorm that went like this:

Crap → Bowel Movement → BM → Billy Mitchell.

Hey if I went with “Detroit” or “Basie” it would have been all over. And Jim, who has posted more about bowel movements than anybody, missed it. Sorry buddy.  Too clever, and tasteless too? Perhaps.

Now's The Time”

Now's The Time: Billy Mitchell Live (Catalyst)

Mitchell, tenor & alto; Earl May bass; Roland Prince, electric guitar; Wes Belcamp piano; Al Beldini (drums)

Since the drummer got a lot of guff, I should mention that Ron Turso plays drums on all other tracks.

Track 4:

Politely” (Hardman)

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

Jazz Messengers '70 (Catalyst)

Blakey, drums; Bill Hardman, trumpet, Carlos Garnett, tenor sax; Joanne Brackeen, piano, Jon Arnett, bass.

Until I found this I did not know there was documentation of Brackeen's time in the band.

Track 5:

Where or When”

Lucky Thompson

Mood in Blue (Urania)

Thompson, tenor sax; Billy Taylor, piano, Oscar Pettiford, bass, Osie Johnson, drums

I am going with my source of this track, as it came from my father's library. I never noticed it before he had died and while he enjoyed jazz he didn't have much of a collection. This and the Ella and Louis collaborations were about it.

Track 6:

Breakin the Ice”

Gene Ludwig Trio + Bill Warfield Big Band

Duff's Blues, Live from the Zoellner Arts Center

This was a download so I don't have much info.

http://www.amazon.com/Duffs-Blues-Live-Zoellner-Center/dp/B001BRZ57Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461974411&sr=8-1&keywords=gene+ludwig+big+band

Track 7:

Please Send Me Someone to Love”

John Wright, Wright Changes and Choice +1 (Interplay Records)

Wright, piano, Chris Giles, bass, Steve Carow, drums

First of the Gene/Not Gene tunes but few played that game. But it tripped up Thom, so it served its purpose.

Track 8

Senor Blues”

Youtube video – 100 Magic Fingers concert, Japan

Gene Harris plays first and Roger Kellaway second. I thought it was real interesting to hear Kellaway's on a tune like this, not what I expected from him, but really no one paid attention to this selection anyway. Ah well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfNIVdnz1FQ

Track 9:

Blue Monk

Scott Hamilton Meets Jesper Thilo

51boYOpqZOL.jpg

Another download so I don't have much more info.

Track 10:

Funky Blues”

Joe Castro Big Band, Reflection (Unissued Clover Session)

Joe Castro Lush Life (Sunnyside)

soloists: Teddy Edwards, Joe Castro, Conte Candoli, Leroy Vinegar

Jim asked if it was Teddy Edwards bookends when he figured out number one, but no one realized just how much of a bookend: Both tracks come from the Joe Castro box set, and I had one purpose in mind: exposing this fine music in hopes that others will go out and purchase the set. There are more Castro tapes and I will continue to hope that more see release if this set is popular enough.

http://sunnysidezone.com/album/joe-castro-lush-life-a-musical-journey

Thanks again to everyone!