• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Back to work today, and blasting out Norman Granz' Jam Session #1

R-5852108-1525571711-2053.jpeg.jpg

However it might have been perceived at the time, I think the record has aged extremely well. Really upbeat and emotionally impactful teenage hormone jazz (if I can call it that without disrespect). It's doing a great job at resetting my mood. 

Is this the one from 1952 with Charlie Parker on it. As you say "teenage hormone jazz", I want to say something about it. As a teenager I first heard some Miles Davis Prestige stuff with Coltrane, then above all Charles Mingus with Dolphy and only after that, and due to the title "Parkeriana" I learned that there was a Charlie Parker, and I fell in love with Birds stuff. 

A little later I discovered those Norman Granz jam sessions JATP and also this one from 1952 and at first hearing I said "wow, so hot, so many great musicians from different generations". But after some spinning I discovered that something is missing. It´s kind of a routine, and the drummers are not really up to what Bird plays. The same was with many of the Pablo recordings. I bought them, listend to them a few times and thought wow really strong, but something that I need was missing. 

I was used from the beginning to let´s say hear the interaction of Philly Joe Jones with Miles and Trane, or let´s say Danny Richmond knowing every bit of what´s happening when Dolphy plays, and what Max Roach does with Charlie Parker, or let´s say Billy Higgins with Ornette. So, the Granz stuff is nice to hear and you hear some fine solos, but I didn´t find much to "figure out" , to get inside the music....

45 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Is this the one from 1952 with Charlie Parker on it. As you say "teenage hormone jazz", I want to say something about it. As a teenager I first heard some Miles Davis Prestige stuff with Coltrane, then above all Charles Mingus with Dolphy and only after that, and due to the title "Parkeriana" I learned that there was a Charlie Parker, and I fell in love with Birds stuff. 

A little later I discovered those Norman Granz jam sessions JATP and also this one from 1952 and at first hearing I said "wow, so hot, so many great musicians from different generations". But after some spinning I discovered that something is missing. It´s kind of a routine, and the drummers are not really up to what Bird plays. The same was with many of the Pablo recordings. I bought them, listend to them a few times and thought wow really strong, but something that I need was missing. 

I was used from the beginning to let´s say hear the interaction of Philly Joe Jones with Miles and Trane, or let´s say Danny Richmond knowing every bit of what´s happening when Dolphy plays, and what Max Roach does with Charlie Parker, or let´s say Billy Higgins with Ornette. So, the Granz stuff is nice to hear and you hear some fine solos, but I didn´t find much to "figure out" , to get inside the music....

That's basically what I mean. It is quite special in its own ways, but depth and interplay are not among them.

Very good as a mood changer though. 

1 hour ago, BillF said:

aM16hUSdsc_-0iwbk9PjtCwVI5Cb4vfcjpKNePS2

:tup :tup

Yes, this one was issues after decades. I like mostly the Quintet Set with Hawk and Fats. That´s great. The first half is what it is, a jam session. Again, most solists are great, but for my tastes,Sonny Criss tries too much to put into his solos. He got his sound from the sound Bird had in 1946 at JATP, but if you listen to Bird, even on his fastest tunes he always has a lot of melody in it. Criss tries to overdo Bird technically, that´s all I can say here. And Tommy Turk also has much technique, but I cant´s stand what he does musically. 

Anyway, Fats still had all his power and it´s a rare occasion to hear him do a ballad "Things we did last summer". 

Two that I had never heard before now:

Jimmy Heath's The Gap Sealer (Cobblestone, 1972)

R-2158364-1547472409-5235.jpeg.jpg

If ever a bop record came from the 1970s, it was this one. It covers the whole range of expansive 1970s. I'd never heard it before but I enjoyed it a lot.  

Now on:

Anthony Braxton: 10 Solo Bagpipe Compositions 2000 by Matthew Welch (Kotekan). 

R-3107739-1316117316.jpeg.jpg

It doesn't really have the Braxton content I was craving. Basically just bagpipe drone. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

28 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Jimmy Heath's The Gap Sealer (Cobblestone, 1972)

R-2158364-1547472409-5235.jpeg.jpg

If ever a bop record came from the 1970s, it was this one. It covers the whole range of expansive 1970s. I'd never heard it before but I enjoyed it a lot.  

Yeah, that's a good one.  :tup 

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

R-8779653-1468605787-3784.jpeg.jpg

Charlie Palmieri - A Giant Step (Tropical Budda, 1984)
Eddie Palmieri has always said that his older brother Charlie was a better pianist than him.  I don't know about that -- but Charlie could definitely play.

It's not my favourite Charlie Palmieri music, but it's definitely my favourite cover.