Jazz trumpeter Hino attacks schoolboy drummer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, kh1958 said:

It seems the drummer's parents had a similar comment.

He added that the boy's parents were “grateful to Hino."

If the kid's playing at a gig inspired a total stranger to slap him, you can only imagine how his parents must feel when they hear him practicing for hours on end. 

I think I've got about 70% of Hino's pre-1976 output (maybe closer to 60%, if there's a bunch more I don't know about).  About 18 maybe 20 CD's? - if I include sideman appearances.

And it's all REALLY damn good!  Some days, I'd rank him right up there (almost) with Woody Shaw and Charles Tolliver.  He's THAT good.

And if I could find a really comprehensive discography, and if his Japanese CD's were so damn expense (some of them), I'd gladly search out practically all his 60's and 70's, every last session maybe.

One of the 2 or 3 most underrated trumpeters I can think of (or maybe 'under-known', at least here in the US).

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I think I've got about 70% of Hino's pre-1976 output (maybe closer to 60%, if there's a bunch more I don't know about).  About 18 maybe 20 CD's? - if I include sideman appearances.

And it's all REALLY damn good!  Some days, I'd rank him right up there (almost) with Woody Shaw and Charles Tolliver.  He's THAT good.

And if I could find a really comprehensive discography, and if his Japanese CD's were so damn expense (some of them), I'd gladly search out practically all his 60's and 70's, every last session maybe.

One of the 2 or 3 most underrated trumpeters I can think of (or maybe 'under-known', at least here in the US).

Agreed.  He's a helluva musician.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Niko.  I don't recall seeing that one.  Looks very interesting.

That might just have to be my entry point to Hino. The other two are big favourites. Thanks for highlighting it - just need to brush up on my non-existent German!