What Christmas Jazz (and beyond) CD (or LP) are you listening to right now?

mikeweil

36 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

R-3874946-1347712119-7010.jpeg.jpg

Holiday music from the likes of Solomon Burke, George Jones & Tammy Wynette, Rufus Thomas, Foghat, Huey Piano Smith and little Augie Rios among others. 

I was wondering why I'd never heard of a Christmas tune by Foghat before now and then I listened to it on YouTube. Most unusual version of "All I Want For Christmas Is You" that I've ever heard. :)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R-4673762-1447696384-4419.jpeg.jpg

I guess you'd have to be pretty old to remember the time when Warner Bros. Records tried to be a player in the jazz field.  Included among their roster of artists in 1997 (and represented on this CD) were Joshua Redman, Brad Mehldau, Larry Goldings, Al Jarreau, Bob James and the late Kevin Mahogany.

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-12891025-1543948257-7498.jpeg.jpg

At last I got me a copy of this. Much better than I expected - Dennerlein was too busy a player for my taste early in her career but has matured very nicely. I hear a Rhoda Scott influence on this one.

Glad you enjoyed it.  I actually like this one better than the Rhoda Scott Christmas CD I have.

With just a week left, it's time to start playing some of my old favorites:

51euKnme3CL.jpg

51WM-pedDCL.jpg

charlesbrownchristmas.jpeg

61RQHZQ80KL._SX466_.jpg

The last one is a fun trawl through the musical underbelly of Christmas, but it does have this lovely song.  If you've been stressed out by gift shopping or finishing your Christmas cards or cookie baking, take a few moments to relax and listen to this.  If you're lucky enough to be near one you love, invite them to slow dance.

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

This one looks very interesting but seems very hard to find .....

What do you mean it's hard to find.  Why, it's sitting right over there, not 3 feet away from me!:lol:

Seriously, I did not know this disc was out of print.  Then I looked on the back and saw it is from 2000, so that is a generation ago now.  The music on the disc is very good and comes from an annual radio special that NPR (the American public radio service) broadcasts, which is just a solid hour of various jazz pianists playing their versions of holiday music.  I would have thought it would be fairly easy to keep it in print even if NPR only sold it on their website (or offered as a "pledge drive" premium).  Perhaps the contracts they signed with the performers only allowed for use on a CD for a limited amount of years.

Now playing:

51bIiEr%2BovL._SY355_.jpg

On 12/19/2018 at 0:26 PM, duaneiac said:

Glad you enjoyed it.  I actually like this one better than the Rhoda Scott Christmas CD I have.

With just a week left, it's time to start playing some of my old favorites:

51euKnme3CL.jpg

51WM-pedDCL.jpg

charlesbrownchristmas.jpeg

61RQHZQ80KL._SX466_.jpg

The last one is a fun trawl through the musical underbelly of Christmas, but it does have this lovely song.  If you've been stressed out by gift shopping or finishing your Christmas cards or cookie baking, take a few moments to relax and listen to this.  If you're lucky enough to be near one you love, invite them to slow dance.

Thank you for that, Jesus Christ in a Manger I love doo wop!