What Christmas Jazz (and beyond) CD (or LP) are you listening to right now?

mikeweil

Just now, danasgoodstuff said:

I love that the last two on Prestige are consecutive catalog numbers and share the same title - how lazy a day were they having at the office that day? Both fine records, but couldn't they at least call one 'Holiday Soul' and the other 'Soul Holiday'!?

They even were recorded on two consecutive days! I think they were titled like that on purpose.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

71QNCAd7AuL._SS500_.jpg

I had to give this one a listen since it arrived in the mail (from a usually reliable Amazon market vendor) with all the CD tray teef broken and I wanted to make sure it plays okay.

Pro:  It does not contain a version of "The  Little Drummer Boy".  This is vitally important when considering the purchase of a Christmas music CD.  +20 points

Con:  It does contain a version of "Do You Hear What I Hear?"  -5points.  This version is over 4 minutes long.  An additional -5 points penalty.

Pros:  The New Birth Brass Band.  Yep, they are pros and they solidly deliver on their two tracks, especially "Santa's Second Line".  +10 points

Profound Pro:  Allen Toussaint!  His two solo piano tracks here were really the reason I bought this CD in the first place.  They are as wonderful  as you might expect.  If they are available to purchase as downloads from your vendor of choice, do not hesitate to do so.  + Infinite points

Con:  Most of the other tracks are pleasant enough, nothing really dreadful, but nothing spectacular either.  The whole album is produced by Allen Toussaint, so that's a sign of quality right there.  This track kind of grows on you.  Don't give up on it too soon.  Mr. T makes those ivories chime!

• 2 weeks later...

s-l1600.jpg

They avoid most of the usual seasonal repertoire here, opting for songs like "Pocketful of Miracles", "I Know Why And So Do You" and less frequently recorded holiday tunes like "The Christmas Blues", Carroll Coates' beautiful "A Song For Christmas", Dave Frishberg's "The Difficult Season" and Don Sebesky's title tune.  Most tracks feature vocals by Rebecca Kilgore.

Ediie Higgins - Christmas Songs (Sunnyside). This is a Venus recording licensed to Sunnyside. Nice mellow Christmas piano. Interesting that the cover was done by his wife, singer Meredith d'Ambrosio, using eggshells. Looks like it would've taken forever to do this.

One of these days I've got to pick up they follow on "Christmas Songs II".

Christmas Songs

Edited by bresna

R-4832504-1447519697-4818.jpeg.jpg

Listening to a pretty crappy needle drop copy of this album included on an EU Hoodoo Records CD.  Fortunately, the best track here, "All I Want For Christmas", was included in much better sound on the Christmas Party With Eddie G CD.

11 hours ago, bresna said:

Ediie Higgins - Christmas Songs (Sunnyside). This is a Venus recording licensed to Sunnyside. Nice mellow Christmas piano. Interesting that the cover was done by his wife, singer Meredith d'Ambrosio, using eggshells. Looks like it would've taken forever to do this.

One of these days I've got to pick up they follow on "Christmas Songs II".

Christmas Songs

I love that album and like you, I want to get the follow-up album too one day.

8 hours ago, six string said:

I’m not much of a Christmas album owner but glad I grabbed that Bobby Timmons album when I had the chance.  I play that one with pleasure and guilt free.

I was able to find the Timmons LP but not the Patterson one. I see it's been reissued but I'd rather get an original LP or a CD. I don't see any benefit to buying an LP cut with digital files. Just give me the the CD instead in that case.

23 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Played a whole bunch today, the first two are new buys these year. Ella's disc is a nice surprise, she's mot one of my favourites, but I really enjoy her album.

R-14895194-1583631288-4638.jpeg.jpg

R-14173792-1569240986-1382.jpeg.jpg

Did you know there is even a third Lou Rawls Christmas Cd? This one is also worth having --

0603777800226_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

As for Ella, I'm a huge fan of hers and I love her Christmas album.  Her singing in general, and on her Christmas album in particular, provides me with the seasonally appropriate "comfort and joy".  I was in a grocery store just yesterday when an Ella Christmas song came on over the sound system.  First time I'd heard one of her Christmas tunes this year.  It felt like a cozy little treat. It really helped to hear this so-old-it's-amazingly-current-once-again lyric sung by Ella:

Some day soon we all may be together

If the fates allow

Until then, we'll have to

Muddle through somehow.

Muddling through was almost this year's central theme.  There may be more months of muddling still to come, but Ella, kindly and sweetly, reminds us that we can do this.