What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

On 5/28/2021 at 0:07 PM, duaneiac said:

61M9JvP4ReL._SX466_.jpg

"One On One" is the greatest Smokey Robinson song not actually written by Smokey Robinson.  This  is the only CD I have by these gentlemen.  I don't listen to it often, so it has probably been 2 or 3 years since I played it last.  It's easy to forget in that time just how gorgeously seductive this ear candy  is.

Stealth like a mo...who would have imagined Thai it would have been Hall & Oates who would be the ones to marshal the ingredients of the avant-pop primordial stew of the 70s to not just emerge on land, but walk upright to the top of the charts for a couple of years? 

Imagine Brian Eno producing David Byrne singing Brian Wilson songs, only David Byrne was an unabashed blue-eyed soul singer...that,'s kinda what those records sounded like to me at the time. My first time hearing "Kiss On My List" was on some staticy sunrise-to-sunset AM station in rural Kansas, and yeah, it was like War Of The World's or so shit, aliens had invaded, when do we get to someplace with a record store?

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hall & Oates' Abandoned Luncheonette just might get my vote for the most underrated pop/rock record ever. ... Admittedly, I grew up hearing it spin OFTEN on my dad's turntable, so I'm nowhere near "objective" about it.

Very different than the 80s stuff, of course. But no less successful, IMO.

So Hall & Oates... Hell yeah!

On 5/28/2021 at 1:50 AM, BFrank said:

Yesterday's Tomorrow

"Live performance by reunited and iconic members of the Winston-Salem scene.
In a fun, Nuggets-like trip back to the era of the Summer of Love, Yesterday’s Tomorrow: Celebrating the Winston-Salem Sound shines a strobe light on the vibrant ’60s and ’70s Combo Corner rock scene of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Original members of bands such as Arrogance, Little Diesel, Sacred Irony, and Rittenhouse Square—including Mitch Easter (Let’s Active); Peter Holsapple, Will Rigby, and Chris Stamey (The dB’s); and Don Dixon—convened on May 12, 2018, at the Ramkat Club to revisit those fuzzbox years, and this remarkable live concert recording shines brightly with their camaraderie and precise enthusiasm for those days of yore."

Awesome. Never knew there was much of a W-S scene or sound, but will have to check this out. 

On 5/28/2021 at 4:13 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Greenslade's Bedside Manners Are Extra (Warner, 1973). 

GreensladeBedsideManners.jpg

Enhanced pub rock rhythm section with two jazz fusion keyboardists playing over the top.

It's a lot of fun once you're past the dopey first track.

Such great cover art.

Gotta dig that cover art lol. 

On 5/28/2021 at 1:07 PM, duaneiac said:

61M9JvP4ReL._SX466_.jpg

"One On One" is the greatest Smokey Robinson song not actually written by Smokey Robinson.  This  is the only CD I have by these gentlemen.  I don't listen to it often, so it has probably been 2 or 3 years since I played it last.  It's easy to forget in that time just how gorgeously seductive this ear candy  is.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:39 AM, JSngry said:

Stealth like a mo...who would have imagined Thai it would have been Hall & Oates who would be the ones to marshal the ingredients of the avant-pop primordial stew of the 70s to not just emerge on land, but walk upright to the top of the charts for a couple of years? 

Imagine Brian Eno producing David Byrne singing Brian Wilson songs, only David Byrne was an unabashed blue-eyed soul singer...that,'s kinda what those records sounded like to me at the time. My first time hearing "Kiss On My List" was on some staticy sunrise-to-sunset AM station in rural Kansas, and yeah, it was like War Of The World's or so shit, aliens had invaded, when do we get to someplace with a record store?

On 5/30/2021 at 11:01 AM, HutchFan said:

Hall & Oates' Abandoned Luncheonette just might get my vote for the most underrated pop/rock record ever. ... Admittedly, I grew up hearing it spin OFTEN on my dad's turntable, so I'm nowhere near "objective" about it.

Very different than the 80s stuff, of course. But no less successful, IMO.

So Hall & Oates... Hell yeah!

H&O fan here. Saw them live on some reunion tour way back in the early, early aughts (maybe even the late 90s?), and then saw John Oates do a solo acoustic set at Merle Fest a few years ago - had to be 2017 or so because of the protest song he had just written and I think performed for the first time. That was not a super safe bet either b/c the crowd at MF is pretty mixed and likely leans a bit right. Very talented dude. His set was on the side stage and it was during a torrential downpour which added to the ambiance. 

Anyway, now playing for the first time in a while:

R-4806498-1384619484-2133.jpeg.jpg

7 hours ago, duaneiac said:

fqcrce-liveattheg-preview-m3_550x550.jpg

A very good concert recording with a band which included Mark Isham and Pee Wee Ellis.  I wish an "expanded version" with more material from these March 11 & 12, 1983 concerts would be issued someday.

Good one .... support the wish for bonus material ....