Hardbopjazz

Another Mosaic Armstrong to come out this August.

123 posts in this topic

IIRC the first cd release of Handy is all alternate takes and none of the originals. (Well, maybe that's an exaggeration.)    This Mosaic should decrease the value of that cd which, I believe,  had become a bit of a collector's item. 

Legacy did such a fine job with the Satch Columbias late in the 90s, including several alternates. I'll buy the Mosaic because, well, I buy Mosaics, but I do wonder how much that is really new and valuable will be on this one.

gregmo

There were about six complete alternates between those two Legacy cds of the "Plays" albums. There were more alterantes on the first cd releases. Still from the timing that Riccardi has given there's considerably more than twice that additionally on the new releases, and additional material from the Real Ambassadors. As to how valuable they are. .. that's a subjective thing. I bet I find them valuable; I'm going to preorder when I can.

On 9/6/2020 at 1:55 PM, jazzbo said:

There were about six complete alternates between those two Legacy cds of the "Plays" albums. There were more alterantes on the first cd releases. Still from the timing that Riccardi has given there's considerably more than twice that additionally on the new releases, and additional material from the Real Ambassadors. As to how valuable they are. .. that's a subjective thing. I bet I find them valuable; I'm going to preorder when I can.

Oh, so will I. And I imagine I'll love it when I actually hear it!

gregmo

Recent news:

!!!!!!!!!!!
RED ALERT: We have discovered an unknown 37-minute reel of “Mack the Knife” outtakes, rehearsals and alternate takes, the full making of Louis’s 1955 hit!! Just have to find a place for it on the set but it WILL happen.

Thanks for the headsup! Pre-ordered.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Thanks for the headsup! Pre-ordered.

Ditto.

gregmo

Great news. Thanks for the tip. I will definitely place my order later tonight.

Placed a preorder. I suggested this one long ago. And I was not the only one I guess

Thank you for making me aware of this!  I am so in (and preordered).

Hopefully JazzMessengers get it in stock.

I am sure they will.

It seems the set will include the entire The Real Ambassadors material, not just the tracks with Satchmo. In this case I might buy it.

Edited by mikeweil

I've been billed for this set so shipping must be imminent and right on schedule.  

Just got my shipping notice.

1 hour ago, miles65 said:

Just got my shipping notice.

Nice!  I received an an email from Mosaic an hour ago informing me that my set has been forwarded to their warehouse (not shipped yet but hopefully soon). 

17 minutes ago, pglbook said:

Nice!  I received an an email from Mosaic an hour ago informing me that my set has been forwarded to their warehouse (not shipped yet but hopefully soon). 

I only read the large print shipping notice. It’s to the warehouse. But it still means the set is on it’s way.

54 minutes ago, miles65 said:

I only read the large print shipping notice. It’s to the warehouse. But it still means the set is on it’s way.

Yep, same here. And more or less on time too. Will wonders never cease?!

gregmo

I'm jealous. Where's my notice?;) Good news!

Same here, I didn't get a notice yet. I placed the order when Mosaic started taking orders.

4 hours ago, pglbook said:

Me too. 

Keep refreshing but nothing yet. Can't wait.

Got an email yesterday that it was sent to the warehouse for shipment. Hoping to see it by end of next week. I’m pleasantly surprised that this set didn’t have any release date movement. Nice work Mosaic.