felser

New Sam Rivers and others on No Business

78 posts in this topic

Apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere.  No Business is an interesting and trustworthy reissue label.  Jazzmessengers.com shows some intriguing new issues on the label of 1970's live concerts by Sam Rivers 

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/82161/sam-rivers/emanation-w-cecil-mcbee?mc_cid=adefaf5c52&mc_eid=d43870520b

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/83230/sam-rivers/archie-series-vol-3-ricochet?mc_cid=adefaf5c52&mc_eid=d43870520b

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed those on Dusty Groove too.

I'd be interested to hear them -- or thoughts from anyone who's heard them already.  

I can't imagine that they'd be anything but REALLY good.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, felser said:

Apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere.  No Business is an interesting and trustworthy reissue label.  Jazzmessengers.com shows some intriguing new issues on the label of 1970's live concerts by Sam Rivers 

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/82161/sam-rivers/emanation-w-cecil-mcbee?mc_cid=adefaf5c52&mc_eid=d43870520b

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/83230/sam-rivers/archie-series-vol-3-ricochet?mc_cid=adefaf5c52&mc_eid=d43870520b

 

No Business also has some of the most exciting new releases. I’ll be picking up one or two of the Sam Rivers archival releases soon as well as 3-4 from the new batch of CD releases (I don’t do LP’s). All of the just announced CD issues are enticing - plus their production values are very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've noticed those on Dusty Groove too.

I'd be interested to hear them -- or thoughts from anyone who's heard them already.  

I can't imagine that they'd be anything but REALLY good.  

 

There are 3 Rivers. I have all of them & they're REALLY good as expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Rivers releases are superb - I've been nabbing them as they are released plus have been buying directly from No Business (Lithuanian outfit) for a number of years now (CD & LP) Highly recommend exploring the label - they really have their finger on the pulse (new releases & reissues).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Are these real CDs?

most definitely!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bertrand said:

Are these real CDs?

Look up their website. They’ve been releasing stunning archival releases for a few years now as well some of the best current/modern jazz/improvised music of any label for over ten years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bertrand said:

Are these real CDs?

Why wouldn't they be from such an established and reputable label? They're real LPs and downloads too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Storyville, to give one example, produce cd-rs rather than cds, at least in some cases, so it isn't an unreasonable question. I have the first three volumes of the Sam Rivers series and, as noted above, these are factory pressed cds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, djcavanagh said:

Storyville, to give one example, produce cd-rs rather than cds, at least in some cases, so it isn't an unreasonable question. I have the first three volumes of the Sam Rivers series and, as noted above, these are factory pressed cds. 

No Business as well as Not Two Records, Intakt, Astral Spirits, Pi recordings, Firehouse 12, Relative Pitch and a few others are the most vibrant of all jazz/avant-garde music labels in existence today. A quick search of their catalogue would confirm that fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

No Business as well as Not Two Records, Intakt, Astral Spirits, Pi recordings, Firehouse 12, Relative Pitch and a few others are the most vibrant of all jazz/avant-garde music labels in existence today. A quick search of their catalogue would confirm that fact. 

No-one (or at least not me) is saying anything different. But in 2020 some labels do sell cd-rs and I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to ask. In lots of ways, Storyville do a fantastic job but they do sell cd-rs on at least some of their back catalogue. As far as I can tell there is nothing on their website that indicates this, so suggesting a quick search wouldn't always pick such an issue up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's real music, close enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case the message needs to come cross again, these are really highly recommended. I love them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two of the Rivers releases and like them.  I can't listen to the one much because I normally have my daughter with me and Sam appears to yell, 'Watch out, MFer.' :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listening to 'Emanation' now and I'm struck by how strong the piano trio segment is. Such a consummate musician (and swearer :lol:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am listening to the first volume of these series now and it's really, really good. Added the other volumes to my wantlist immediately!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This latest batch sure is taking its time making its way stateside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, colinmce said:

This latest batch sure is taking its time making its way stateside.

I also wondered what happened to vol. 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I picked up Volume 1 from a discogs Seller recently and just listened to it yesterday (I listened to it twice, in fact). It is fantastic in every way - wonderful music, great sound (dynamic and not compreseed at all), and an excellent booklet and liner notes.

I liked it so much that I just ordered Volumes 2, 3, and 4 from No Business via their eBay listing. I have no idea how long those 3 volumes will take to get to NY from Latvia but it will be well worth the wait.

I had not previously heard about the Sam Rivers Archive Series. Thanks for this thread for pointing it out to me. Volume 1 is fantastic and I am sure that the other volumes will also be great.

Edited by pglbook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 10:38 AM, jlhoots said:

I also wondered what happened to vol. 4.

Anyone received vol. 4 yet?

I was notified of shipping (by eBay) on Nov. 24, still waiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I ordered around the same time, also via eBay and still not arrived here to UK either, usually their delivery is v efficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.