king ubu

Hasaan Ibn Ali – Metaphysics: The Lost Atlantic Album

82 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, LWayne said:

Any contacts at Omnivore Recordings that I can contact. Bought the LP, but the cardboard sleeve has a tear. The email form on the Omnivore Recordings website goes to an independent fulfillment center that is useless. No offer to provide a new jacket, just advice to return to the brick and mortar store where I purchased.

I had previous problems with cardboard gatefold covers with Resonance Records for a Record Store Day release, and they replaced it immediately..

Doubt the fulfillment center will contact Omnivore as they promised. It has been two weeks. No to take matters into my own hands.

Like the recording a lot. Just wish there was better quality control and that missing notion called customer service.

LWayne

Try contacting Cheryl Pawelski through Facebook maybe?

I got my copy yesterday.  I like it -- may not be a ground-breaking work, but still a welcome addition to Jazz.  Interestingly, I feel it's getting better every time I listen.

To my ears, the sound is not that awful.  I expected it much worse since I heard it is based on a copy of an acetate disc.  The bass sounds especially fat and warm.

Hasaan's piano playing reminds me of Elmo Hope, Herbie Nichols, Andrew Hill, and somehow Jaki Byard.  Compared with Joe Farrell when he played with Jaki, the young Odean Pope lacks some adventurous impulse.  But who can blame him?  I guess playing with Hasaan must be a tough job.  Hasaan is also fortunate that he could get very responsive rhythm section -- especially Art Davis, I think his bass work here is phenomenal.  Kalil Madi also shines.  This quartet is very tight as a unit.

And now, the compositions...I really love "Viceroy".  It's based on "Mean To Me", but Hasaan pours a lot of idiosyncrasy into it.  I'm glad that we now have 7 more of his tunes.

Edited by mhatta

Sound is fine. Odean sounds a bit harsh, but he was young and still working on his sound. The comparison to Andrew!!! is very apt.

So other than Elmo Hope, who was he listening to? I would say Hill definitely. I would speculate Herbie Nichols, but how would he have gotten the records, unless Max hooked him up...

He was probably just listening to the internal and external energies of his everyday life. The best ones do.

While I do find the sound a little murky it is primarily the issue of cymbals being almost totally absent.  I assume it is due to the shaved off high frequencies from the acetate.  What’s interesting is that there are times when the piano sounds fine in the upper register.  The density of the music is not helped by the less than stellar mix.  I’ve only played it four times so far so I don’t know the music that well yet.  I am glad I went with my gut and bought the cd instead of the more expensive vinyl.  I didn’t have high hopes for this to be a great sounding recording and unfortunately I was right.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:30 AM, bertrand said:

Try contacting Cheryl Pawelski through Facebook maybe?

Contacted her through Facebook and was not enamored with response. Finally promised to replace the defective LP, when I just wanted a new gatefold, but I have yet to receive a replacement by mail. Will give benefit of the doubt, but hardly stellar customer service. Very wary of this label.

LWayne