Matthew

Phil Spector Dead at 81

109 posts in this topic

Great, groundbreaking musical talent, dispicable human being.  It's complicated, isn't it?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

♪♪ And then he killed me  ♪♪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil Spector was the healing force of the universe:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to his daughter he died of Covid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The forensic pathologist working on the case, Dr. Louis Pena, gave his testimony in May 2007. 

In it, he disproved the claims circulated by Spector's defense team, stating that Clarkson didn't suffer from depression and that she didn't exhibit the traits commonly exhibited by the victims of suicide. 

As he revealed during his testimony, Clarkson's tongue was severely bruised — indicating that the murder weapon, a gun, was forcefully pushed into her mouth. Image result for lana clarkson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bresna said:

Phil Spector gets listed in the Artists forum but not Helen Reddy. Truly fucked up.

So why don't you take it up with Matthew, who put him here, and Hardbopjazz who didn't put Reddy here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil, you're gonna scare people with this...

Hal Blaine, Weapon Of Mass Destruction. We need to invade Gold Star, it's a national security imperative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

So why don't you take it up with Matthew, who put him here, and Hardbopjazz who didn't put Reddy here?

I took it up with the moderator who clearly stated that he didn't give a shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

So why don't you take it up with Matthew, who put him here, and Hardbopjazz who didn't put Reddy here?

In case you're forgetting - this is what Hardbopjazz said:

On 10/4/2020 at 8:58 PM, Hardbopjazz said:

Move the discussion to the artist forum. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell you what - get me the tapes/video of Helen Reddy singing with BB King & the MJQ (again, yes, it happened), then we'll have another look at that.

Until then, Helen Reddy was a "talentedish pop singer". Phil Spector was an artist, a radical re constructor of what energies could be conveyed on a 45 RPM record, a true architect of sound. Don't get hung up in the means - songs, singers, teenager emo, just dig the sound, the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Tell you what - get me the tapes/video of Helen Reddy singing with BB King & the MJQ (again, yes, it happened), then we'll have another look at that.

Until then, Helen Reddy was a "talentedish pop singer". Phil Spector was an artist, a radical re constructor of what energies could be conveyed on a 45 RPM record, a true architect of sound. Don't get hung up in the means - songs, singers, teenager emo, just dig the sound, the end.

No dog in the fight but ... had hardbopjazz put Reddy's thread in Artists, would you have moved it out or let it stand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over at Hoffman, they had to close all the threads as they apparently became rather heated. One of the mods over there said 

“Please refrain from starting new or reopening old Phil Spector threads for now. They’re impossible to moderate, filled with hate and vitriol.

We’ll figure something out.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

No dog in the fight but ... had hardbopjazz put Reddy's thread in Artists, would you have moved it out or let it stand?

Let it stand.

To that end, if anybody feels so strongly about it, they can start their own Hellin Reddy, RIP Magic Chanteuse thread right here in this Artists thread and it will go unmolested.

I mean, I'll laugh my ass off, but what would that matter?

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Over at Hoffman, they had to close all the threads as they apparently became rather heated. One of the mods over there said 

“Please refrain from starting new or reopening old Phil Spector threads for now. They’re impossible to moderate, filled with hate and vitriol.

We’ll figure something out.”

I don't get that at all. Before he was a murderer, Phil Spector ws a psycopath. Before that, he was deranged, and before (at tiem during) that, he was a creative force whose legacy remains to this day.

So, c'mon people, compartmentalize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Let it stand.

To that end, if anybody feels so strongly about it, they can start their own Hellin Reddy, RIP Magic Chanteuse thread right here in this Artists thread and it will go unmolested.

I mean, I'll laugh my ass off, but what would that matter?

I don't get that at all. Before he was a murderer, Phil Spector ws a psycopath. Before that, he was deranged, and before (at tiem during) that, he was a creative force whose legacy remains to this day.

So, c'mon people, compartmentalize.

You can’t separate the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Let it stand.

To that end, if anybody feels so strongly about it, they can start their own Hellin Reddy, RIP Magic Chanteuse thread right here in this Artists thread and it will go unmol

Funny - but I already tested out that theory when I started a Stanley Cowell - RIP thread in Miscellaneous Non-political and you moved it to Artists. Rather hypocritical on your part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well. Stanley Cowell equivocates to Helen Reddy, my bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cher-baby-i-love-you-warner-spector.jpg

R-1627412-1422469777-5169.jpeg.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contentious relationship with Leonard Cohen as described in the Sylvie Simmons Cohen bio..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I am more curious about is, what kind of money was Spector pulling in for his production/songwriting credits?  I've never really gotten a handle on such things and been somewhat curious about it.  What did he pull in annually in the 21st century? How does it compare to his peak?

If you wrote a half-dozen "hits" in the 90s - what are you getting nowadays? Is the money all dried up?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dan Gould said:

What I am more curious about is, what kind of money was Spector pulling in for his production/songwriting credits?  I've never really gotten a handle on such things and been somewhat curious about it.  What did he pull in annually in the 21st century? How does it compare to his peak

 

By all accounts, Spector was living large well into the last part of the 20th Century, probably beyond. Large, lonely, and deranged. He had owned the label (Philles) and to my knowledge never sold it. Plus, he "attached" his name to a LOT of the hits. Publishing, I'm not sure about. But he never ran out of money, at least not that I've heard.

Also, remember, he was producing both Lennon & Harrison post-Beatles (to varying effectiveness) and still got projects/offers with some periodicity through the 70s. Some, like the Leonard Cohen album, worked, some, like the one with Dion, did not. And some, like the abandoned project with Cher, show a guy losing focus, but not skills. But focus, losing it big time. Distracted, paranoid, all that good stuff. That single with Cher is marvelously intricate and emotionally chilling (and totally devoid of commercial potential), but I guess that was all Spector could really get done. Marathon, obsessive studio time with first call players wasn't as cheap as it once was, and a crazy man who's no longer on top...patience thins quickly. And it should. Method to the madness only works when the method gets results. And "the industry" had definitely moved on/past him in any number of ways.

Stories of a paranoid (possibly coke-fueled) gun-nut were "common" even then...and then, Ronnie began to talk...to be honest, when he committed the murder, my first reaction was "well, THAT took a lot longer that I expected it to".

But as far as money, the guy knew how the business worked, and guys like that never run out of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Let it stand.

To that end, if anybody feels so strongly about it, they can start their own Hellin Reddy, RIP Magic Chanteuse thread right here in this Artists thread and it will go unmolested.

To my knowledge, I have never heard her.  However, I don't believe we have ever had a thread before about a musician or vocalist in the miscellaneous section because their work was deemed unfit for the 'Artists' heading.  

Jim, you also made a dig at her in an unrelated thread.  Don't think that the deliberate misspelling of her name went unnoticed, either.  At this point, you're just being contentious and classless because you can be.

Edited by Justin V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Justin V said:

To my knowledge, I have never heard her.  However, I don't believe we have ever had a thread before about a musician or vocalist in the miscellaneous section because their work was deemed unfit for the 'Artists' heading.  

Jim, you also made a dig at her in an unrelated thread.  Don't think that the deliberate misspelling if her name went unnoticed, either.  At this point, you're just being contentious and classless because you can be.

Hey, moderators don't have to worry about moderation, doncha know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I've not yet murdered anybody (that you know about, anyway!).

Credit where credit is due, ok?

1 minute ago, bresna said:

Hey, moderators don't have to worry about moderation, doncha know?

Oh, please. There's a simple procedural ploy here that you could have made months(S) ago and still can make. If you stop whining about a marginal pop talent long enough, you can still figure it out.

Hell, there's two procedural ploys that you can make to get what you wnat. But you have to ploy them, don't whine to me about shit and then expect me to help you with it.

Whining is the most impotent way to get shit done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.