HutchFan

Your Favorite Jazz Records of the 1980s?

263 posts in this topic

Retribution Reparation by Nate Morgan has some good bassoon on it.  

Even weirder: Illinois Jacquet pulls one out for The Blues, That's Me! 

Posted (edited)

image.jpg?c=isuO5XgmS7VjguCD2oQkdASijaXJ

image.jpg?c=-i-Cp3GybRleUr_eqYNKPZhUoDg0

image.jpg?c=uGQumVgHXw-Yeg1brwe5CVWnbEN5 

Edited by Joe

Posted (edited)

So who is playing bassoon on these three ?

oh sorry not a bassoon thread :blush:

Edited by David Ayers

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

So who is playing bassoon on these three ?

oh sorry not a bassoon thread :blush:

Posted (edited)

I don't think I have a single jazz record from the 1980s, but certainly have flipped past hundreds of them in the dollar bins.  

That decade's cover art was simply hideous, and not the kind of design that would entice me to want to hear the music inside.

Case in point:

R-3506842-1446120779-6380.jpeg.jpg

I love "Digitally Processed" in the upper right corner.  "This original analog recording has been electronically rechanneled to simulate digital." :)

Edited by Teasing the Korean

9 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

That decade's cover art was simply hideous, and not the kind of design that would entice me to want to hear the music inside.

Totally agree, back then in record shop I overlooked lots of records because of the cover.

14 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Retribution Reparation by Nate Morgan has some good bassoon on it.  

Remember him in the 1970s, on Pablo? One with Dizzy, one of his own? He plays tenor just like he plays bassoon!!!!!!

On 5/9/2021 at 6:56 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Oh you're right.  I'd forgotten about that!   

On 5/9/2021 at 10:25 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

I don't think I have a single jazz record from the 1980s, but certainly have flipped past hundreds of them in the dollar bins.  

I don't disagree that there was some wretched cover (non)design during the 1980s. 

...But there was some excellent cover art too, IMO.  See two cases in point below, both issued on the Gramavision label:

R-1406393-1518392285-4837.jpeg.jpg

and

71aIOu-IgPL.jpg

And, more importantly, the music on these albums is every bit as good as the cover images -- if not better.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:38 PM, HutchFan said:

Oh you're right.  I'd forgotten about that!   

I don't disagree that there was some wretched cover (non)design during the 1980s. 

...But there was some excellent cover art too, IMO.  See two cases in point below, both issued on the Gramavision label:

I couldn't see the first of the two images you posted. I realize there were exceptions, 

Posted (edited)

Recorded in 1982:

• Dewey Redman Quartet - The Struggle Continues (ECM)
  • Sonny Simmons - Backwoods Suite (West Wind)
  • Chet Baker - Peace (Enja Matthias Winkelmann)
  • Borbetomagus - Barbed Wire Maggots (Agaric)
  • Joel Futterman / Jimmy Lyons / Robert Adkins - In-Between-Position(S) - A Trio In Eight Movements (L+R). I think this one is better than the Lyons / Cyrille duo from the same year, Burnt Offering (Black Saint) 
  • Derek Bailey / Joëlle Léandre / George Lewis / Evan Parker - 28 Rue Dunois Juillet 1982 (Fou)
  • Joe McPhee Po Music - Oleo (Hat Hut). Good stuff, although not as interesting as McPhee's "Topology" from the previous year.
  • Sun Ra Arkestra - Nuclear War (Atavistic). Not the best Sun Ra out there, for sure, but I like it for the classic title track and for punchy and concise solos of the usual suspects.  
  • Andrew Cyrille - The Navigator (Soul Note). I am not a Cyrille fan, but this one is perfect. 
  • Sonny Simmons - Global Jungle (Deal With It)
  • Steve Lacy Seven - Clichés (Hat Hut). The Lacy compositions are weak, but the playing of all involved is superb (George Lewis!). 
  • Ron Carter / Jim Hall - Live at Village West (Concord Jazz). Class. 
  • Lauren Newton - Filigree (Hat Hut). This one is amazing and annoying in nearly equal measures.  
  • Bob Moses ‎– When Elephants Dream Of Music (Gramavision). This is some unique and indescribable stuff that could not have been created earlier than 1980s (unlike some other albums on this list) - thanks, Rabshakeh
  • Tony Coe - Tournée Du Chat (nato) - recorded in 1981-82
  • Peter Kowald & Barre Phillips, Barry Guy, Maarten Altena ‎– Bass Duets (FMP) - duets with Guy and Altena recorded in 1981 and 1982, respectively. 

What stroke me when I was listening to these albums was how well they were recorded, including most of the live recordings. Definitely better than the majority of the stuff recorded in 1970s. Were early 80s the zenith of the analog recording?   

Edited by Д.Д.

Nice list, D.D. :tup 

11 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Were early 80s the zenith of the analog recording?   

Possibly.  There are a ton of excellent recordings from that time, AQ-wise. 

One example: I think many early-80s Enja LPs sound superb -- i.e., Chet Baker's Peace, on your list.

5 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Nice list, D.D. :tup 

Well, thanks. I am off to 1983 stuff.  

29 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Recorded in 1982:

• Dewey Redman Quartet - The Struggle Continues (ECM)
  • Sonny Simmons - Backwoods Suite (West Wind)
  • Chet Baker - Peace (Enja Matthias Winkelmann)
  • Borbetomagus - Barbed Wire Maggots (Agaric)
  • Joel Futterman / Jimmy Lyons / Robert Adkins - In-Between-Position(S) - A Trio In Eight Movements (L+R). I think this one is better than the Lyons / Cyrille duo from the same year, Burnt Offering (Black Saint) 
  • Derek Bailey / Joëlle Léandre / George Lewis / Evan Parker - 28 Rue Dunois Juillet 1982 (Fou)
  • Joe McPhee Po Music - Oleo (Hat Hut). Good stuff, although not as interesting as McPhee's "Topology" from the previous year.
  • Sun Ra Arkestra - Nuclear War (Atavistic). Not the best Sun Ra out there, for sure, but I like it for the classic title track and for punchy and concise solos of the usual suspects.  
  • Andrew Cyrille - The Navigator (Soul Note). I am not a Cyrille fan, but this one is perfect. 
  • Sonny Simmons - Global Jungle (Deal With It)
  • Steve Lacy Seven - Clichés (Hat Hut). The Lacy compositions are weak, but the playing of all involved is superb (George Lewis!). 
  • Ron Carter / Jim Hall - Live at Village West (Concord Jazz). Class. 
  • Lauren Newton - Filigree (Hat Hut). This one is amazing and annoying in nearly equal measures.  
  • Bob Moses ‎– When Elephants Dream Of Music (Gramavision). This is some unique and indescribable stuff that could not have been created earlier than 1980s (unlike some other albums on this list) - thanks, Rabshakeh
  • Tony Coe - Tournée Du Chat (nato) - recorded in 1981-82
  • Peter Kowald & Barre Phillips, Barry Guy, Maarten Altena ‎– Bass Duets (FMP) - duets with Guy and Altena recorded in 1981 and 1982, respectively. 

What stroke me when I was listening to these albums was how well they were recorded, including most of the live recordings. Definitely better than the majority of the stuff recorded in 1970s. Were early 80s the zenith of the analog recording?   

Great stuff! Thanks. I am glad Elephants made the list.