Followers 0
Rabshakeh

Your favourite early bebop LPs

31 posts in this topic

This was my very first one.

Herunterladen (4).jpg

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

Americans might lose sight of the fact that the Bird Savoys were always in print in some for or fashion (even if not always well-distributed), but the Dial sides never really had a proper release until that limited edition Warner Brothers box (and then "best-of 2-fer of master takes)that was supposed to accompany the supposed to be Richard Pryor Bird movie...so you either srpung for the Spotlite imports or you took what you could get from other sources.

This souds like europeans fared betteer, not only because of the Spotlite LP series but also earlier on the (U.K.) SAGA label which was around from the early 70s.

@Rabshakeh, re- your question about why no Tadd Dameron or West Coast etc.:

I for one in my first reply was focusing (as per your question) on EARLY bebop which made an impact on me in my EARLY bebop listening days. The Tadd Dameron recordings from the 40s are usually to be found among Fats Navarro reissues and the others that I have date from the 50s so IMO would not qualify as "early" bebop recordings.

As for West Coast, isn't that quite a different playing field if we are talking about bebop here?

But to get some West Coast in (though not the actual West Coast Jazz style), here is one that remains among my favorite recordings and reissue packagings:

40774271fm.jpg

While on the subject of prestige, a nod also to this twofer that spans a wider range of artists that merit exploring:

40774272zk.jpg

Edited by Big Beat Steve

R-4574044-1574794033-5782.jpeg.jpg

I first got to know Charlie Parker from albums that looked like this. In 1958 I could only afford to buy 2 of the series of 5.<_<

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

As for West Coast, isn't that quite a different playing field if we are talking about bebop here?

But to get some West Coast in (though not the actual West Coast Jazz style), here is one that remains among my favorite recordings and reissue packagings:

40774271fm.jpg

Yeah, that album is terrific! :tup 

On 3/17/2021 at 6:43 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

40769183zt.jpg

And this one (since superseded by the RCA Black & White twofer but I still recqll teh impression it made)

40769184tz.jpg

These two old LPs introduced me to Bop. Loved the old Vintage series!

gregmo