Alan Shorter

Hardbopjazz

That's it for his official recordings as leader

He died in 1988 from a ruptured aortic aneurysm

"In the mid-1960s, Shorter moved to Europe, leading his own avant-garde gigs in Geneva and Paris. His style of free jazz sometimes proved to be too far-out for European audiences (his brother remembered that Shorter's gigs in Europe would often end with him responding to the crowd's boos by yelling, "You're not ready for me yet!"), but he generally found European audiences more receptive than those in the U.S. Eventually, he returned to the United States, where he taught briefly at Bennington College but otherwise faded into obscurity. He died of a ruptured aorta in Los Angeles, California in 1988, at age 56, shortly after becoming engaged to Ruth Ann Hancock, a cousin of Herbie Hancock".

7 hours ago, romualdo said:

That's it for his official recordings as leader

He died in 1988 from a ruptured aortic aneurysm

"In the mid-1960s, Shorter moved to Europe, leading his own avant-garde gigs in Geneva and Paris. His style of free jazz sometimes proved to be too far-out for European audiences (his brother remembered that Shorter's gigs in Europe would often end with him responding to the crowd's boos by yelling, "You're not ready for me yet!"), but he generally found European audiences more receptive than those in the U.S. Eventually, he returned to the United States, where he taught briefly at Bennington College but otherwise faded into obscurity. He died of a ruptured aorta in Los Angeles, California in 1988, at age 56, shortly after becoming engaged to Ruth Ann Hancock, a cousin of Herbie Hancock".

Yes, that is how it was. I read this in Wayne Shorter´s book. Other than Wayne, Alan seems to have been a very difficult personality. I heard his playing and a very interesting compositon, I think it´s titled "Mephisto" on "The All Seeing Eye" , a really fantastic Wayne Shorter album.