AOTW May 17th -23rd Martial Solal

Clunky

Could have chosen a number of Solal's and I'm no expert. This disc is however as fine a distillation of his art as improviser as I've come across. If Solal was American be just be ignored but as he's French he suffers the european jazzers curse of complete obscurity. IMO he's a gifted genius.

This collection of standards including some real old warhorses never ceases to surprise with the invention he brings. Great choice of tunes and thoroughly invigorated.

Even if you don't have this one share your opinions on Solal here.

Edited by Clunky

So much good music that I don't have or even know ... sure looks interesting with these accompanists, or rather, partners.

I don't have that album, but would like to express my deep appreciation of Solal as one of Europes premier jazz musicians. He's a towering prominence and has covered a lot of ground. As Dan Morgenstern expressed when commenting on a reissue of some Lucky Thompson with Solal (highly recommended!): Solal is one of the best, period!

BALADE DU 10 MARS is indeed a very good album.

But the best SOLAL record from the last ten years is TRIANGLE on JMS with PETER ERSKINE on drums and MARC JOHNSON on bass.

It's from 1995 and SOLAL plays only his compositions (some new: ROUND ABOUT TWELVE, A NIGHT IN VENESIA, TRIANGLE, some not: ANATHEME.)

All are excellents and full of humour - SOLAL is, to my knowledge, in straight jazz, the only pianist that can be humourous in his playing without lost any of his chop.

I don't have this album, but I'm quite a fan of what I heard of Solal.

His early stuff was out in the latest nineties on three Vogue Masters CDs (titled Complete Vogue Recordings Vols. 1-3). Some great trio, solo, quartet (with "Fats" Sadi Lallemand on vibes), and band stuff!

Didn't get his latest BN release so far, as it's copy protected here (although I saw it dirt cheap and was tempted several times).

Is this one still available?

I also heard Solal live once, in a trio with Johnny Griffin (bad night, though no booze, it seemed), and NHOP (did a great 12 bar blues solo that night). Solal was in pretty good shape, though the whole concert was quite a boring mess.

I think I have a couple of really good live tracks recorded off the air with Griffin, Solal and a rhythm section. Got to look for that.

ubu

Despite being a veteran jazz fan I’m ashamed to say that I didn’t “discover” Martial Solal until about six years ago and apart from the RCA Newport cd I'm still not familiar with his Vogue recordings. I must be missing a lot!!

This is a very fine cd. Solal fragments and dissects the standard tunes here but still treats them with respect frequently returning to the melodies during his improvisations. This treatment given to Monk’s “Midnight” makes for an especially refreshing version of the piece. Marc Johnson fits in beautifully in more than just an accompanying role. Motian too is just right making this a real trio date.

Good as this cd is it doesn’t quite compare to Solal’s Village Vanguard cd on Blue Note which is absolutely stunning.

Good as this cd is it doesn’t quite compare to Solal’s Village Vanguard cd on Blue Note which is absolutely stunning.

Really !!!!

I haven't got that one, is the euro version CC or not, ??

no its not CC.

Another :tup from me also.

Didn't get his latest BN release so far, as it's copy protected here (although I saw it dirt cheap and was tempted several times).

huh?

what's the deal? Dou you get them non-cc in Britain?

No Ubu they have all been CC lately as in mainland Europe , but my copy of NY-1 doesnt mention CC anywhere . The disc does say MADE IN THE EU on it so I havent picked up an import.

huh?

what's the deal? Dou you get them non-cc in Britain?

No Ubu they have all been CC lately as in mainland Europe , but my copy of NY-1 doesnt mention CC anywhere . The disc does say MADE IN THE EU on it so I havent picked up an import.

Strange! I could swear the two or three discs I could have picked up dirt-cheap had the same Cactus-logo thing in the spine as have the RVGs!

I got really hooked on Solal as a result of his playing with my favourite Lucky Thompson.

The Vogues have been mentioned and although they are good and certainly a cut more daring than many european pianists of the mid 50s , they dont quite reach the heights of some of his later work.

Sans tambour ni trompette- 1970 ( RCA)with JF Jenny-Clarke and another bassistGilbert Rovere is pretty startling record by any standards. I love what the bassists do on this recording.

Apart from Newport 63 any other recommendations from his 60s output?

I got really hooked on Solal as a result of his playing with my favourite Lucky Thompson.

Me too. I got a used vinyl album of him with Lucky Thompson that was pressed so badly it sounded like it had sand in the grooves, yet Solal's sheer talent still shone through clearly.

Viva Solal!! :tup:tup

• 3 weeks later...

The Round About Midnight cover is really cool! I total deconstruction, kind of like what Jarret does sometimes. Fascinating. Love the other Monk quotes, too.

Solal seems to be one of those guys who really takes from everybody- the lyricism of a Hank Jones at times with the purposefully awkward phrasing of Monk or Tyner. A great listen.