Miles Box Release Date

BFS

Miles Davis - Seven Steps: Complete The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis, 1963-64 - 7 CDs (Columbia) — includes material from the following albums: Sept 28

— Seven Steps to Heaven (studio, Apr-May 1963), with George Coleman (tenor sax), Ron Carter (bass) and

either Victor Feldman (piano) & Frank Butler (drums) or Herbie Hancock (piano) & Tony Williams (drums);

includes previously unreleased alternate takes of "Joshua" and two of "Seven Steps" with Feldman

and a rehearsal take of "Seven Steps" with Hancock

— Miles in Europe (Antibes, 27Jul1963), continuing w/ Coleman/Herbie Hancock/Carter/Tony Williams,

with the previously unissued tunes "Bye Bye Blackbird" (16'47) & "Theme" (6'06),

plus the unedited versions of "Autumn Leaves" (13'55), "Joshua" (11'36) and "All of You" (16'54)

— the complete Philharmonic Hall concert (12Feb1964), with both sets complete and in performance order

(originally issued out-of-sequence as My Funny Valentine and Four & More);

includes previously unissued tune "Autumn Leaves" (10'40), plus introductions by Mort Fega & Billy Taylor

— Miles in Tokyo (14Jul1964), with Sam Rivers on tenor sax

— Miles in Berlin (25Sep1964), with Wayne Shorter on tenor sax;

includes a previously unissued version of "Stella by Starlight" (12'54)

— in all, set includes over an hour of previously unreleased music

Will most of this material be out on separate CDs as they usually are? 4 and 5 would be a 2-CD set, and 6 and 7 could be available each on their own. 1-3 might be tricky; they would probably have to leave out some tracks from Seven Steps, and make Europe a 2-CD set.

I really don't like the boxes (price and packaging). I really am mostly interested in Tokyo and Berlin, and if they come out as stand-alone CDs, I could get 'em at Tower or Borders' for $8-$9. I would consider the others later. I don't need every rehearsal take out there. I would be upset if the extra track from Berlin is AWOL, however - it should not have to be.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Doesn't look as if we have any "insiders" here!

Maybe you should post this at audioasylum.com and see if Greg has heard anything from "indno" Belden about these being released on cd (but ask first about SACD release to get his attention!)

Maybe you should post this at audioasylum.com and see if Greg has heard anything from "indno" Belden about these being released on cd (but ask first about SACD release to get his attention!)

Ouch! ^_^

Jerry, I don't think they are including the second Sam Rivers concert, which is too bad... only the MILES IN TOKYO material.

:g:g:g:g:g

My source is sticking with "Fall of 2004" and hasn't heard otherwise.

FWIW.