Donald Harrison - Free Style

mikeweil

Bought it today, what a pleasant surprise! Personal tone, original treatments of some well known tunes, a good backing trio but avoid it if you only like it straightahead - there's more than a dash of funky rhythms here. No wonder for a cat from New Orleans. Anybody else here like it?

Donald Harrison alto sax

Glen Patscha piano

Vicente Archer bass

John Lamkin drums

Recorded December 1 & 2, 2003 at Avatar Studios, New York City, by Jim Anderson (that's why it sounds so good .....)

Nagel-Heyer 2059

179.gif

Here's the promotional text from the label's website:

Donald Harrison, who gained his initial recognition in the 1980s when he was with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and co-led a band with Terence Blanchard, has continued growing and evolving ever since that time. Though underrated, he is currently at the peak of his powers. With this fabulous recording - his third album for Nagel Heyer - Harrison shows one more time that he is a superior post-bop improviser with a sound of his own.

This session is mostly a trio outing with Vicente Archer (bass) and John Lamkin (drums) joining Donald Harrison. On three tracks pianist Glenn Patscha strengthens the band. The music stands on its own as highly original and progressive. The trio/quartet setting gives Harrison ample room for his solo explorations. He reveals a semi-free approach, but one that remains firmly rooted in melody and harmony. He expands and deepens themes rather than obliterating them, allowing one to truly experience the story each tune is trying to tell. Most tracks are originals, but a couple of standards are exceptional.

Harrison is performing funk pieces, a calypso, Miles Davis’ ‘So What’, a rock song and a Thelonious Monk tune (‘Well You Needn't’) among others in spirited fashion with pianist, bassist and drummer. Harrison obviously felt that these musicians would provide the perfect combination of groove, freedom and exploration. The result is a mainstream set that purposefully raises the bar for Harrison, forcing him to think outside the box and deliver one of his most essential recordings. This album is definitely one of my Top Ten CDs of 2004.

Edited by mikeweil

Didn't know until recently that he was on NAGEL-HEYER. This is a GOOD FUCKING label. I can't believe the cats who are recording on this label. AND they have new young lions too - like Monk Institute graduate and former underwear model, tenor saxophonist Wayne Escoffery - a veritable new talent

I saw Donald "Duck" in Pittsburgh two weeks ago. He was really good. I got him to sign one of my old Concord Record album covers to one of the LPs he did with Terrence Blanchard.

Didn't know until recently that he was on NAGEL-HEYER. This is a GOOD FUCKING label. I can't believe the cats who are recording on this label. AND they have new young lions too -

...including an organ trio:

173.jpg

CD 2053

Shifting Times

Paradigm Shift featuring Wycliffe Gordon, Marcus Printup and Joe Locke

Melvin Henderson – guitar

Gerry Youngman – organ, flugelhorn (on # 11)

Ted Poor – drums

Wycliffe Gordon – trombone

Joe Locke – vibraphone

Marcus Printup – trumpet

Bill Tiberio – saxophones

Recorded on March 4, 6, and 9 2003 at East End Studio, Rochester, New York. 

01 Sandu 4.04 

02 Yesterdays 5.02 

03 Sanibel Breeze 4.12 

04 Half A World Away 5.27 

05 Shifting Times 6.29 

06 Big Brother 6.26 

07 First Shift 4.55 

08 Simplistic Blues 3.59 

09 Why Not Scrambled 2.56 

10 Petra's Lament 4.52 

11 My Foolish Heart 2.36 

What is a Paradigm Shift? Think of a Paradigm Shift as a change from one way of thinking to another. It's a revolution, a transformation, a sort of metamorphosis. It just does not happen, but rather it is driven by agents of change.

Melvin Henderson, Gerry Youngman, and Ted Poor make up the band Paradigm Shift, and they have something to say with their first album. "It is our aim to create music that is original and that will draw people because of what it is, not what it resembles. The music is the gateway. It is the means in which we earn the right to speak to a crowd which would not otherwise listen."

Paradigm Shift worked together for years developing their own sound and touring the USA before recording this CD. To make a stronger impact with their debut album in the jazz world they invited their long time companions Wycliffe Gordon, Marcus Printup and Joe Locke to join them in the studio. The result is an amazing recording by some of today’s hottest jazz musicians. 

I feel like a person's life experience is an integral part of that person's playing. A picture is worth a thousand words. How many notes is a thousand words worth? I don't have the conversion table. To me, this picture, and many others like it, are worth an infinite number of musical notes. Unfortunately. Am I superficial?

I've never felt much from the musical jocks. I think we've all delved into that world a little bit, trying to find the best music we can find. I've never found anything to connect with there. I can't say that I haven't heard ANY of his music. I've heard excerpts of his music, and he is an extremely technical musician. Totally on point. It is the feeling behind the music that misses me. It feels like I'm listening to a clinic. I don't want to disrespect Joe Locke, because who am I? I'm just talking about that feeling you get when you are listening to a virtuoso masturbating in your ear. I'd much rather listen to something with the spirit behind it. Music is many things to many people. We all have a different idea of what it can be. It isn't pictures or sponsors, to me.

I was hoping you had heard this album and had a different impression of Joe Locke.

That Joe Locke picture simply reflects what many people in the business expect - not us jazz fans. You want to eat ...

Locke is a good musician, I think he strikes the balance between that dreaded virtuoso perfectionism and personal ways of expression pretty well. The vibes are hard to play as an expressive instrument.

I will have a listen to that organ band tomorrow, if they have it in stock where I go.

Groove Merchant -

I don't really understand your problem with a nice professional photo! Joe Locke is a great artist and THE master of the jazz vibraphone who plays with DEEP feeling and soul. The fact tha the has formidable technique, and knows how to use it, is not a crime. Besides his compositions are always swinging and beautiful! The Paragram Shift recording, however, is not a good representation of his gifts. You are much better off buying his latest 'DEAR LIFE", (pictured on my avitar) or '4 WALLS OF FREEDOM' ( with Bob Berg ), both on the Sirocco Label. Soon, Joe and Geoffrey Keezer will have a Quartet cd (that is released in Japan now) available in the States.

Let us know what you think after you listen to 'DEAR LIFE'!

Joe Locke

By the way; look out for Keezer's new Trio recording on Maxjazz. Another Master!

Didn't care for Harrison at all until INDIAN BLUES on Candid. That was an album that had a little different flavor to it at many different levels. Still can't call him anything close to a "favorite" or anything, but that album seems to have been a turning point for him (or at least a documentation of same). He seems to keep growing, so hey, it's all good.

As for Locke's endorsement pic, well, I can show you a King ad from the very early 1970s with images of Cannonball Adderley. James Moody, & Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Also Pharoah Sanders & Paul Gonsalves endorsing Otto Link mouthpieces. Sonny Rollins doing the same for Guy Hawkins mouthpieces (that one didn't last...), and on and on and on. As a player, Locke neither excites nor offends me too much one way or the other, but I'd not reach that conclusion just because he endorses a product that he actually uses. Endorsement deals usually carry a lot of practical perks in terms of free gear, supplies, repairs, etc., even clinician gigs (that pay REAL money!!!! :g:g:g ), so if you're a working musician, an honest endorsement deal ain't a bad thing. Hell, if you're using the damn stuff anyway, why not get it for free?

Edited by JSngry

• 3 months later...

Bought it today, what a pleasant surprise! Personal tone, original treatments of some well known tunes, a good backing trio but avoid it if you only like it straightahead - there's more than a dash of funky rhythms here. No wonder for a cat from New Orleans. Anybody else here like it?

Finally got to hear it, and the answer is YES.

Alto power trio. Not the kind of thing I'd yusally go for (either alto or power trio), put these cats is playin'.

I like the yellow, too. Not enough yellow album covers in jazz. Had it playing back-to-back with SIRIUS CALLING, and all that yellow by the player looked so UN-jazz like, it made me feel alive again!

Edited by JSngry

Have you heard this group? Paradigm Shift? I saw Joe Locke's name. I've heard he is an amazing musician, but I'm put off by the pro/sponsored musician stature.

Don't really like posting this in a Donald Harrison thread but just want to respond that Joe Locke is a very good vibes player. Two albums I recommend, one as a leader, the other as a sideman:

31257.jpg

31305.jpg

Have you heard this group? Paradigm Shift? I saw Joe Locke's name.

I bought this CD as I really like organ trios, but contrary to Organissimo's debut the trio as a core group is almost obscured here, there's only one or two numbers by the trio alone, which do not impress me very much. Nicely played, but I miss the touch of the original, unique conecption in that band. All the guests, including Locke, turn in fine solos, but nothing really stands out. Their version of Stevie Wonder's "Big Brother" is not nearly as groovy as that of the Larry Goldings Trio. I have to say I am a little disappointed.

If you want some first rate Joe Locke, try to get the New Quartet CD with Keezer, which is outstanding, or Locke's own group on "4 Walls of Freedom".