Recorded on your birthday?

Chrome

Has anyone else ever gotten some kind of vicarious thrill out of discovering a certain recording was made on their birthday? You know, kind of like finding out someone famous was born on the same day as you were?

For example, Unity by Larry Young was recorded 11/10/65 per the liner notes ... anyone here born on that date?

I'm sure there's some easy way to look up this kind of thing on a data base, but that takes all the fun out of it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No BN dates were recorded on my birthday (March 18th, 1969), but I used to think it was moderately cool to have discovered that Jimi Hendrix recorded his studio version of The Star Spangled Banner on my actual date of birth. (Trouble is, however, that I don't particularly care for his studio version - with it's 5x overdubbed guitar parts. It's interesting, sure - but nowhere near as powerful as the Woodstock version.)

I'd love to find out what other sessions (jazz, or rock) were recorded on my date of birth, however.

Rooster, do you have the disco? Can you see if anything was recorded on June 25, 1971?

Nothing. Closest matches are Grant Green's "Visions" from May 21st, 1971; to Bobby Hutcherson's "Head On" from July 1st, 1971.

Actually, there is one other title in the middle of those two dates, but no specific date is given:

Jimmy McGriff's "Black Pearl" just says "1971" with no month or day given, but it is listed in the discography right between the Green and Hutch titles I just mentioned.

(Source: 2001 edition of the Complete BN Discograpy)

Anybody else???

not the same year, but my dbase lists several dates....

Anything for March 18th, 1969??

PS: The closest BN dates for me are...

Elvin Jones - "The Prime Element" (the date one with Lee Morgan) - March 14th 1969

Reuben Wilson - "Love Bug" - March 21st, 1969

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have a Paul Bley trio album recorded live in Haarlem which was done the day my nephew was born. I've thought about giving him a copy, but I'm not sure that he would like the music.

On the day I was born, network radio's last attempt at a star-spangled variety show, called The Big Show, premiered. It stayed on the air for less than two years until they gave up the ghost.

There are two sessions I've found recorded on the day I was born. One is the Hank Jones Trio on Savoy, wow, Hank, Wendell and Kenny playing in Hackensack the afternoon I was born! The other is a Chico Hamilton live date in California that is on the Mosaic set.

Chico and Kenny both playing away and recorded on the day that I was born. I was born at the right time!

Tommy Flanagan had the same birthday as me - March 16 - so I used to go see his birthday shows at the Village Vanguard to celebrate during his last few years. He also recorded one of those shows that was released on Blue Note. Of course we weren't born in the same year, nor did I attend that show the day I was born, so I don't know if this stuff counts.

Anybody find anything for 3/16/80?

Benny Goodman and his sextet - with Charlie Christian, Lionel Hampton, Fletcher Henderson, Artie Bernstein and Nick Fatool - took part in a Camel Caravan broadcast from New York Radio City Studios on October 28, 1939 while I was making a first appearance on the other side of the Atlantic.

One track from the broadcast 'Rose Room' surfaced on the final album (volume 9) of the Masters of Jazz Charlie Christian series.

Anything for March 18th, 1969??

PS: The closest BN dates for me are...

Elvin Jones - "The Prime Element" (the date one with Lee Morgan) - March 14th 1969

Reuben Wilson - "Love Bug" - March 21st, 1969

again not the same year, but following sessions were held on 18 march

1961: Horace Parlan - On the Spur of the Moment

1966: Hank Mobley - A Slice of the Top

1963: Getz/Gilberto (probably a night session that ran into the 19th?)

1964: Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar (also ran into the 19th)

Anything for 30th Dec. 1970?

same date, different years:

1947 - Dizzy Gillespie records some stuff with his band.

1949 - Paul Smith cuts some sides for Savoy

1958 - Johnny Page and Chet Baker record several tracks of their album together

1960 - Coleman Hawkins - Night Hawk (Prestige)

1963 - Thelonious Monk - Big Band and Quartet in Concert

Anybody find anything for 3/16/80?

again different years:

1949 - Lennie Tristano records some tracks with Konitz/Marsh

1956 - Serge Chaloff - Blue Serge (3 tracks)

also 1956 - Miles Davis/Sonny Rollins - three tracks issued on Collector's Items

also 1956 - Zoot Sims records an album in Paris

1958 - Tina Brooks - Minor Move

1992 - Joe Henderson Big Band (Verve): 3 tracks