*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what this is (from the dustygroove site)...

Eternal Myth Revealed Part 1 – The Story Of A Universal Being And His Music 1933 to 1959 (limited edition 20 CD set)

Sun Ra

Mid-June, 2011

Good question. An Evidence repackaging? Sad that Evidence's last Ra reissue was in 2000. What happened to that label?

The Szwed book is finally, but slowly, coming to me via media mail. I should have read it long ago, but am excited for it now. Never too late!

Are there any other Ra albums (particularly on CD, but any source really), that fit into what I kinda call his "slightly-ambient disco" period??

I've already got...

Lanquidity (1978)

On Jupiter (1978)

Strange Celestial Road (1979)

Sleeping Beauty (1980)

In short, I'm looking for more stuff like "Lanquidity" especially; Sun Ra with a GROOVE.

(Years listed above from Wiki, might not be 100% accurate as a result.)

I do have a few other recordings from this era, though none with the kind of 'groove' that most of these four have.

Are there any other Ra albums (particularly on CD, but any source really), that fit into what I kinda call his "slightly-ambient disco" period??

I've already got...

Lanquidity (1978)

On Jupiter (1978)

Sleeping Beauty (1980)

In short, I'm looking for more stuff like "Lanquidity" especially; Sun Ra with a GROOVE.

I do have a few other recordings from this era, though none with the kind of 'groove' that most of these four have.

I can't remember--did I, or anyone else, mention that you might like "Cosmos"?

I've already got...

Lanquidity (1978)

On Jupiter (1978)

Sleeping Beauty (1980)

I think you'd like The Other Side of the Sun, or at least the version of "Space is the Place" from that album. It originally came out on Sweet Earth, if I remember correctly, but I've got a CD reissue from Universe. No idea how easy or difficult it would be to get these days.

I've already got...

Lanquidity (1978)

On Jupiter (1978)

Sleeping Beauty (1980)

I think you'd like The Other Side of the Sun, or at least the version of "Space is the Place" from that album. It originally came out on Sweet Earth, if I remember correctly, but I've got a CD reissue from Universe. No idea how easy or difficult it would be to get these days.

Astro Black should be checked out as well. Groovy stuff.

I've already got...

Lanquidity (1978)

On Jupiter (1978)

Sleeping Beauty (1980)

In addition to Cosmos and The Other Side of the Sun, My Brother the Wind Part II.

Eternal Myth Revealed Part 1 – The Story Of A Universal Being And His Music 1933 to 1959 (limited edition 20 CD set)

Sun Ra

Mid-June, 2011

It's the next Transparency release - was originally planned as a 4CD set , then 14 but has now blown out to 20CD set

HELLO !

Part One of 'The Eternal Myth Revealed' will be at the CD pressing plant and book printer/binder in two weeks -- and I have recently been told that the album will be about TWENTY CDs (rather than the previously estimated fourteen discs).

Sun Ra Archive editor Michael Anderson has slightly expanded his excellent project demo to 56 minutes -- now on two handy Youtube links (directly below my signature here.). Most definitely worth spending an hour with.

Thanks to all who have ordered this box set --- and as release date approaches, we really need for EVERY person reading this to order the album. Please listen to the demo and get back to me! --- PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL NOT BE CHARGING A HIGHER PRICE FOR THE TWENTY-CD VERSION OF THE ALBUM. This is still advance offered to mail order customers for just $65 plus shipping. (Please see the paypal ordering info at the end of this e-mail.)

All the best,

Michael Sheppard / Transparency

All of the Art Yard releases are recommended.

I found this description of the Transparency box set on the internet:

The first collaboration between Transparency and the Sun Ra Archive

THE ETERNAL MYTH:

The Early Music History Of Sun Ra (Part One)

Transparency 0316

An estimated 14 CDs

(13 hours of ultra-rare music plus hours of Sun Ra speech interspersed)

with a 5" x 5" paperback book (approximately 80 pages) in box set

We are now accepting pre-orders for this mind-blowing Spring 2011 release — at the distributor price of sixty-five dollars ($65) — plus priority mail shipping ($5 within the U.S. — $10 to Canada — $12 to Europe). Please calculate your correct total — and paypal transfer that amount to transparency2011@yahoo.com. Your direct pre-order is very much appreciated.

We hereby proudly announce the massive track listing for Part One, which ends at 1958 — and you can also see the beginning of the 1960′s box (Part Two) at the end of the spreadsheet here. Sun Ra’s own voice introduces every section in both volumes — a half-hour sampling of which can be heard in rough draft ‘infomercial’ form in the three MP3 files e-mailed along with this.

Sun Ra – The Early Years – Box Set Description

Track listing here: http://amiscellany.info/2011/03/25/new-release-sun-rathe-eternal-myth/

All of the Art Yard releases are recommended

Totally agree - all of the Art Yard releases (originally Saturns with extra tracks from the sessions) have great sound quality

I'm currently listening to the two CD Art Yard/Kindred Spirits set - Live At The Theatre Du Chatelet 1971 (Paris) - one hell of a live set & stunning sound to boot

My Favourite Transpariencies are

1. Detroit Jazz Residency 80/81 -28 CD -> need to be in for the long haul to listen to this

2. Live Toronto 78 + Interview - 10 CD

3. Live Electric Circus 68 & Newport Jazz Festival 69 - 2 CD

4. Sun Ra All Stars 1983 - 5CD (includes Don Cherry, Archie Shepp, Lester Bowie, Famoudou Don Moye, Philly Joe Jones, Richard Davis)

5. Helsinki 71 - - 2CD + DVD (great footage)

6. Live Rome 1980 - 2 CD

7. Live Slugs Saloon 72 - 6 CD

8. Live London 70 - 2CD

Sun Ra

Mid-June, 2011

It's the next Transparency release - was originally planned as a 4CD set , then 14 but has now blown out to 20CD set

HELLO !

Part One of 'The Eternal Myth Revealed' will be at the CD pressing plant and book printer/binder in two weeks -- and I have recently been told that the album will be about TWENTY CDs (rather than the previously estimated fourteen discs).

Sun Ra Archive editor Michael Anderson has slightly expanded his excellent project demo to 56 minutes -- now on two handy Youtube links (directly below my signature here.). Most definitely worth spending an hour with.

Thanks to all who have ordered this box set --- and as release date approaches, we really need for EVERY person reading this to order the album. Please listen to the demo and get back to me! --- PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL NOT BE CHARGING A HIGHER PRICE FOR THE TWENTY-CD VERSION OF THE ALBUM. This is still advance offered to mail order customers for just $65 plus shipping. (Please see the paypal ordering info at the end of this e-mail.)

All the best,

Does anyone know how to sign up for the email?

Sun Ra

Mid-June, 2011

HELLO !

All the best,

Does anyone know how to sign up for the email?

Sorry about not putting contact details (email) here - looks like I've been beaten to it anyway

I've been dealing directly with Michael (Transparency) for the past 2 years or so - usually prepay (helps finance the pressing) & we receive the discs before the issue is released to the shops

Also, his prices are a bit less than what the dealers/shops charge

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone have more details on the new triple LP, THE MYSTERY OF BEING (non CD) KLIMT release of two of Sun Ra's Horo double Lp's ie New Steps & Other Voices..

KLIMT apppears to be associated with the Italian Abraxas label, I presume a pirate operation? (Italian equivalent to the Fresh Sound stable of labels)

This has got to be a bootleg - different title & cover art work

Actually, has there been any further news re the proposed legit Horo releases