*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

A recent release from Trost, the Sun Ra Arkestra Live in Nickelsdorf, 1984, is a fairly typical in terms of his '80s repertoire, but it should be noted that this well recorded concert features outstanding John Gilmore solo after John Gilmore solo... He's in very good form throughout--amazing sounding actually.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A recent release from Trost, the Sun Ra Arkestra Live in Nickelsdorf, 1984, is a fairly typical in terms of his '80s repertoire, but it should be noted that this well recorded concert features outstanding John Gilmore solo after John Gilmore solo... He's in very good form throughout--amazing sounding actually.

Thanks! As I really enjoy John Gilmore's soloing, this is good to know.

• 4 weeks later...

the itunes bonus tracks are now available for download on amazon. not on disc as of yet.

and i found this one while there

Supersonic Jazz + Fate in a Pleasant Mood 1956 (Bonus Track Version) 2012

Medicine for a Nightmare (Alternate Take) [bonus Track] 2:36

seems new.

>>>>

edit:

Supersonic Jazz + Fate in a Pleasant Mood 1956 (Bonus Track Version) 2012

Medicine for a Nightmare (Alternate Take) [bonus Track] 2:36

>> this Alternate Take is on 'the singles' 2cd (evidence)

Edited by l p

Well, I hope these come out on disc in the future, I could enjoy the sonic upgrade, but I'm not a downloader.

newer info: someone from the saturn list said that there was mention of releasing these remastered versions on disc.

Ah. Any details about timescale, etc? I've downloaded two already (am enjoying a lot) and was thinking of pushing the button on a couple more, but if real discs are imminent...

Thanks! As I really enjoy John Gilmore's soloing, this is good to know.

Yes, thanks for the info and recommendation. I saw the release advertised, looked at the set list and decided I could do without yet another typical mid 80s date, but if this is a Gilmore fest then I'd better add this to my list. Next to Ra, he's the soloist in the band I always want to hear more of!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is "Enterplanetary Koncepts" a legit label?  I note that they have 4 albums available at Amazon mp3 for $5 each.  Two are Horos: New Steps and Other Voices, Other Blues.

No idea if legit, but both these Horos are pretty fantastic. I have Other Voices, Other Blues on original vinyl, and New Steps came out a couple years ago as a high-quality (probably grey-market?) euro CD complete with original artwork with new liner-notes - a really high-quality release actually.

Highly recommended material.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 7:56 AM, kh1958 said:

Listening to the first disc of the newly released In Some Far Place, Roma '77, on Strut/Art Yard. It's rather good. Piano (mostly)/keyboards with some drum accompaniment. Pretty well recorded too.

I may have to track this down.  Extensive samples available to listen to HERE - which do sound very good!!

EDIT:  I see it includes one (or two?) versions of "Love In Outer Space" -- a Ra tune I'm a total sucker for.  Very cool to hear him (essentially) with just drummer.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 8.12.2014 at 1:52 PM, kh1958 said:

Hilarious performances - and John Gilmore at his very best ....

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the new set but have only so far listened to the first disc, several times. Excellent sound!

On the Hoffman board a member named Kevin55 posted this:

It looks like these tracks are not on the earlier comp:

CD 1:
1. SUN RA – I AM AN INSTRUMENT
2. SUN RA – I AM STRANGE
3. SUN RA & THE NU SOUNDS – CHICAGO USA
4. SUN RA & THE NU SOUNDS – SPACESHIP LULLABY
7. BILLIE HAWKINS with SUN-RA & HIS ORCHESTRA – I’M COMING HOME
8. BILLIE HAWKINS with SUN-RA & HIS ORCHESTRA – LAST CALL FOR LOVE
9. SUN RA & HIS ARKISTRA – SOFT TALK
10. SUN RA & HIS ARKISTRA – SUPER BLONDE
12. LE SUN RA & HIS ARKISTRA – A CALL FOR DEMONS
13. LE SUN RA & HIS ARKISTRA – DEMON’S LULLABY
16. LE SUN RA & HIS ARKISTRA – URNACK
23. LE SUN RA & HIS ARKESTRA – HOURS AFTER

CD 2:

5. SUN RA & HIS ASTRO INFINITY ARKESTRA – ROUND MIDNIGHT
6. SUN RA & HIS ASTRO INFINITY ARKESTRA – BACK IN YOUR OWN BACK YARD
8. LE SUN RA AND HIS ARKESTRA – VELVET
12. SUN RA & HIS ARKESTRA – SPACE LONELINESS
16. SUN RA & HIS ARKESTRA featuring PAT PATRICK – A BLUE ONE
17. SUN RA & HIS ARKESTRA featuring PAT PATRICK – ORBITRATION IN BLUE
18. SUN RA & HIS ARKESTRA – OUT THERE A MINUTE
19. LITTLE MACK with SUN RA & HIS ARKESTRA – TELL HER TO COME ON HOME

CD 3:
5. SUN RA & HIS ASTRO-INTERGALACTIC INFINITY ARKESTRA – JOURNEY TO SATURN
12. SUN RA QUARTET– DISCO 3000
17. SUN RA ARKESTRA – NUCLEAR WAR
18. SUN RA ARKESTRA – SOMETIMES I’M HAPPY
19. SUN RA ARKESTRA – ON JUPITER / COSMO DRAMA
20. SUN RA ARKESTRA – COSMO DRAMA
21. SUN RA – I AM THE INSTRUMENT

Bear in mind that some of these (particularly the Chicago era titles) are well known tracks from Saturn LPs already reissued on Evidence which previously weren't known to exist as 45 rpms. The 'Nuclear War' was also on the Saturn and Music Box Lps as well as 'Y' Records 12 inch single.

The sound for most titles is most definitely an upgrade. I prefer the Evidence booklet though.

Also available as two 3LP sets plus two boxes (one to follow next year) of 45rpm singles for the retro crowd !

Interesting to compare the early very spacey 'I Am The Instrument' recital which kicks off CD1 with the quite moving post-stroke version with 'toy piano' accompaniment which closes out CD3. Full circle.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 months later...

What is the best book on Sun Ra?

I know very little about him, despite the fact that I may have more albums by him then any other single jazz artist. 

How did he afford to keep the Arkestra together, and how was he able to afford releasing so many albums?  Did the Arkestra gig regularly?  What was their pay like?  Did any of them have day gigs?    

John Szwed's book is probably the best there is (are there any as in depth as his?).

Couple that with one of the editions of the vast discography, and I would guess that would cover a great deal of what is known.

I contributed a tiny, tiny bit of info to Szwed's book (hardly enough to even mention, about some IAI videos from the 70's and a couple other things I can't even begin remember now, back when I was a we lad of ~22 years, now pushing 50)...

...and much to my shock, my name appeared in the thank-you section -- my own mini 15-nanoseconds of fame. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 8:09 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

What is the best book on Sun Ra?

I know very little about him, despite the fact that I may have more albums by him then any other single jazz artist. 

How did he afford to keep the Arkestra together, and how was he able to afford releasing so many albums?  Did the Arkestra gig regularly?  What was their pay like?  Did any of them have day gigs?    

They gigged around Philly but I don't know if they toured much in the late 70s.  When I was going to concerts around Philly I saw them three times.  They lived together in a communal house and operated a convenience store for a bit of extra cash.  I concur with the recommendations of the Szwed book.