*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

Some Sun Ra confusion:

I just noticed that there are two Sun Ra cds, 'A Night in East Berlin' discs on Leo floating around. I have one that's titled 'A Night in East Berlin' from 1987, with four tracks: 'A Night in East Berlin,' 'Images,' 'Love in Our Space,' and 'Space is the Place.'. Then tonight I notice that there's another one that has a similar cover to mine (mine's white, the other one is black, but basically the same design.) with a similar title: A Night in East Berlin/ My Brothers the Wind and Sun no. 9, from 1996, with 8 tracks that are completely different from mine. The date of recording is the same though: 6/28/86. Are these two completely different albums from the same night? If so, should I run out and grab that 8 track disc?

Thanks,

HG

Edit: correction. Only A Night in East Berlin is confrimed to be rec. on 6/28/86. It says on the back of the '87 cd that the other three cuts are not known where and when they were recorded.

post-5045-1215753622_thumb.jpg

Edited by Holy Ghost

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS ONE I GOT IS CRAZY

Sun Ra Live in Berlin

West Berlin, West Germany, 7/22-23/82. 60 min. Private recording, poor sound, identified as "A Jan Vanderbroesel Produktion". Probably from the same source as the Cosmic Duck boot. [Webber; date from Geerken]

Christopher Columbus (Razaf-Berry)

Lights on a Satellite (Ra)

unidentified title

unidentified blues (Ra)

Do the Thang (Ra)

unidentified title

unidentified title

Space is the Place / We Travel the Spaceways (Ra)

Hit That Jive, Jack (trad.)

unidentified title

Who in the World Do You Love?

Queer Notions (Hawkins)

Ra-p, syn, voc; Ronnie Brown-tp; Longinieu Parsons-tp; Tyrone Hill-tb; Marshall Allen-as, fl, kora, perc; John Gilmore-ts, cl, perc; Eloe Omoe-as, bcl; James Jacson-bsn, Ancient Egyptian Infinity Drum; Danny Ray Thompson-bs; Hayes Burnett-b; Eric "Samurai" Walker-d; Tommy Hunter-d; Clifford Jarvis-d; June Tyson-voc. Plus dancers as above.

Probably the same concert as the previous tape; titles Webber; personnel, Trent]

post-3075-1215760596_thumb.jpg

Some Sun Ra confusion:

I just noticed that there are two Sun Ra cds, 'A Night in East Berlin' discs on Leo floating around. I have one that's titled 'A Night in East Berlin' from 1987, with four tracks: 'A Night in East Berlin,' 'Images,' 'Love in Our Space,' and 'Space is the Place.'. Then tonight I notice that there's another one that has a similar cover to mine (mine's white, the other one is black, but basically the same design.) with a similar title: A Night in East Berlin/ My Brothers the Wind and Sun no. 9, from 1996, with 8 tracks that are completely different from mine. The date of recording is the same though: 6/28/86. Are these two completely different albums from the same night? If so, should I run out and grab that 8 track disc?

Thanks,

HG

Edit: correction. Only A Night in East Berlin is confrimed to be rec. on 6/28/86. It says on the back of the '87 cd that the other three cuts are not known where and when they were recorded.

Ok, to answer my own question I went and bought the other A Night in East Berlin/My Brother the Wind and it has a completely different set list than the other A Night in East Berlin. In fact, I can't even find a listing for the 1987 cd anywhere (at least at Amazon). So why would Leo name two cd's so similarly yet they are different?

• 1 month later...

From the book SPACE IS THE PLACE : The Life and Times of Sun Ra ...

" The big postwar jazz bands held little interest for Sonny , as most were either recycling past successes or shoving singers to the front , or else attempting to paste the innovations of Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie onto older formulas . Sonny was now listening to the Hollywood-inspired music being made by people like David Rose , whose lush massed string writing could be heard as theme songs on several popular radio programs ; or Walter Schumann , who brought classical choral methods to pop songs ; OR to the exotica of people like Martin Denny , who recorded in Honolulu under Henry Kaiser's Aluminum Dome accompanied by animal noises , natural accoustic delay , and reverberation ; and ESPECIALLY to the arrangements of LES BAXTER , the premier figure in what was being called mood music .

Baxter was a big band saxophonist and singer who developed a post-swing style in the late 40's and early 50's of spectacular orchestral writing , full of tympani and hand drums , tumbling violin lines , harps , marimbas , celesta , Latin rhythm vamps , the cries of animals , choral moans , and flamboyany singers , creating imaginary soundscapes which he helped evoke with titles like " Saturday Night On Saturn " , " Atlantis " , " Voodoo Dreams " , and " Pyramid of the Sun " . Sonny first heard Baxter on Perfume Set to Music ( 1946 ) and Music Out of the Moon " ( 1947 ) , two albums built around melodies for theremin performed by Dr. Samuel Hoffman , a Los Angeles podiatrist who had played on the soundtracks Spellbound and The Lost Weekend . Baxter went on to produce records which celebrated the Aztecs ( Sacred Idol in 1959 ) , South Asia ( Ports of Pleasure 1957 ) , Africa and the Middle East ( Tamboo in 1955 ) , and the Caribbean ( Caribbean Moonlight in 1956 ) , all of which used Latin rhythms generically , as did his two big band records , African Jazz ( 1958 ) and Jungle Jazz ( 1959 ) . Though later generations would understand this music in strictly utilitarian terms , and hear in it the sounds of air conditioning and the clink of ice in cocktail shakers , for Sonny it was music rich with imagination and suggestion , and free of material constraints . His genius was to take as raw material what others in the 1950's thought of as " easy listening " and turn it into what in the late 1960's would be heard as " Third World Music ! by some and as " uneasy listening music " by others."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like I'm going to see the Arkestra next Tuesday, oh yeah! Under Marshall Allen.

Should be fun!

It really was! Lots of swinging tracks with great bluesy vocals injected with lots and lots of fun.

Allen can still skronk his socks off and has melodic invention to spare.

Calling them the Arkestra was a bit free and easy though. Mostly young, but very talented, musicinas.

I only have two Sun Ra: Sun Song and Jazz In Silhouette, but I like them very much, I have more or less stopped buying records, can't afford it after I have retired, would love to have more Sun Ra, but !

I always wonder how you people can afford it and have so many records(and have the space for it), I have a small collection(about 2000 items) compared to many of you.

the best to all of you great jazz people

Vic

I've been working my way through the following since my earliest posting in this thread...

Angels & Demons/The Nubians Of Plutonia

Calling Planet Earth

Concert For The Comet Kohoutek

Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Friendly Galaxy (Live At Banlieues Bleues)

The Futuristic Sounds Of...

The Great Lost Sun Ra Albums: Cymbals & Crystal Spears

Holiday For Soul Dance

It's After The End Of The World

The Magic City

Monorails & Satellites

Nothing Is...

Nuits de la Fondation Maeght Vol.1&2

The Other Side Of The Sun

Outer Spaceways Incorporated

Piano Recital Teatro La Fenice, Venezia

Purple Night