*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've read a bit at the beginning of this trhead and a bit at the end...

and I still don't know.

I bought "Secrets of the sun" last year - I have a strong yearning to collect all the Calvin Newborn I can - and really feel like getting some more of Sun Ra. They're so interesting and such fun to listen to.

When I was young ( :D) I had "Sun song", "Sound of joy" and "Futuristic sounds of". Flogged 'em when times got hard and never bought them again. Well, they're on the agenda for this year.

But I want something new (to me) - I heard "Secrets of the sun" back in the sixties, 'cos my mate has a copy, so that one isn't really new to me. I feel very inclined, after reading the bit that TTK posted about Les Baxter, to go for the two that he mentioned:

Of the Sun Ra 50s/60s albums I have, I hear the exotica influence most on "Fate in a Pleasant Mood" and "When the Sun Comes Out."

Seems to me that these are going to move me a bit more into SR.

Advice anyone?

MG

MG, here is a Sun Ra exotica compilation I made, track titles and the LPs or CDs they came from:

Overtones of China -Sound of Joy

China Gates -The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

Circe (excerpt) -Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Watusa -Space Towers

Brazilian Sun -Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Looking Outward -The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

El Viktor -Sound of Joy

Dimensions In Time -Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Adventure-Equation -Space Towers

Planet Earth -Sound of Joy

The Beginning -The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

Space Mates (excerpt) -Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Ankh -Sound of Joy

New Day -The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

Paradise -Sound of Joy

Ancient Aiethopia -Jazz In Silhouette

The Nile -Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Africa -Spaceship Lullaby

As you can see, lots of stuff from Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out (which is a 2 on 1 CD) and Futuristic Sounds of...

Edited by Teasing the Korean

MG, here is a Sun Ra exotica compilation I made, track titles and the LPs or CDs they came from:

Overtones of China -Sound of Joy

China Gates -The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

Circe (excerpt) -Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Watusa -Space Towers

Brazilian Sun -Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Looking Outward -The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

El Viktor -Sound of Joy

Dimensions In Time -Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Adventure-Equation -Space Towers

Planet Earth -Sound of Joy

The Beginning -The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

Space Mates (excerpt) -Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Ankh -Sound of Joy

New Day -The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

Paradise -Sound of Joy

Ancient Aiethopia -Jazz In Silhouette

The Nile -Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Africa -Spaceship Lullaby

As you can see, lots of stuff from Fate In A Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out (which is a 2 on 1 CD) and Futuristic Sounds of...

And a lot from "Sound of joy", too. Doesn't look like there's much risk of me making a mistake if I get this twofer. Thanks TTK.

MG

When talking about the great "Sound Of Joy" and "Sun Song", I would get the Japanese Mini LP versions or the vinyls for best sound. You should also check out the classic "Jazz In Silhouette". I also love the Evidence CD release of "When Angels Speak Of Love".

For many of the 50-60's records originally released on Saturn like "Art Forms Of Dimensions Tomorrow", "Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy", "My Brother The Wind, Pt.1" and more, the sound are better on the vinyl releases from early 2000, IMHO. Shops like Honest Jon's and System Records in UK have these. The Evidence CD's has great liner notes though, and the "Greatest Hits" from 2000 is a great collection with good sound.

"Lanquidity", "Live In Montreux", "On Jupiter", "Sleeping Beauty" and "The Solar Myth Approach, Vol.1" and "The Solar Myth Approach, Vol.2" are also must-haves in my book. For the Solar Myth's the vinyls have the best sound.

Edited by jostber

Listening to Lanquidity right now, I love it. Its one of those albums where I could see the connection for it would make you want to start a band with others that loved it as much as you do.

I use to go see him in the late 80's whenever I could but the only other Ra I have is Jazz In Silhouette. I look forward to picking up more records from this thread. Any advice on where to go next? I was thinking maybe Nuclear War and Super - Sonic Jazz.

Edited by WorldB3

Listening to Lanquidity right now, I love it. Its one of those albums where I could see the connection for it would make you want to start a band with others that loved it as much as you do.

I use to go see him in the late 80's whenever I could but the only other Ra I have is Jazz In Silhouette. I look forward to picking up more records from this thread. Any advice on where to go next? I was thinking maybe Nuclear War and Super - Sonic Jazz.

Here are my suggestions:

Supersonic Jazz (also reissued as Supersonic Sounds)

Cosmos

Unity

Solo Piano Vol. 1

St. Louis Blues

Nubians of Plutonia

Fate in a Pleasant Mood

Bad and Beautiful

Angels and Demons at Play

Mayan Temples

Visits Planet Earth

Sun Song

Here are my suggestions:

Cosmos

Unity

Solo Piano Vol. 1

St. Louis Blues

Nubians of Plutonia

Fate in a Pleasant Mood

Bad and Beautiful

Mayan Temples

Visits Planet Earth

Sun Song

THANK YOU!

Here are my suggestions:

Cosmos

Unity

Solo Piano Vol. 1

St. Louis Blues

Nubians of Plutonia

Fate in a Pleasant Mood

Bad and Beautiful

Mayan Temples

Visits Planet Earth

Sun Song

THANK YOU!

Those are good suggestions HP!

Good lord, I've lost track of how many Sun Ras I have. In a trade some years ago, I received 70 lp transfers of OOP Sun Ra dates. Now that Art Yard and Atavistic have reissued some, I have picked those up as well. I am nuts!

Oh, don't be so hard on yourself. With Ra, after you get past your 200th album, you no longer feel nuts about it.

• 1 month later...

My modest Sun Ra pile - in order of purchase:

Jazz In Silhouette

Greatest Hits

Lanquidity

Strange Strings

The Night Of The Purple Moon

Angels And Demons At Play/The Nubians Of Plutonia

Secrest Of The Sun

Until very recently I've been bemused and not all that impressed In fact, it often seemed to me that Sun Ra albums did what many consider would be impossible - they were even more sloppy than the Grateful Dead!

I dunno - maybe that's the point.

In any case, I'm really, really digging those last two albums named - they seem to strike the right balance between the early, older styles and spacey stuff, with a bit of exotica - always been a sucker for that kinds of thing - thrown in.

Strange Strings I find fascinating, but a little too ... well it's not that it's too out there for me, at all, but I just kinda get bored with it.

I have the singles double CD on its way from Amazon. Incredibly, I gave away a review copy I scored on its release. Whereas now I reckon it'll please me plenty.

I found Lon's comments about the Ra lecture interesting. I'm not sure I'm up for reading the Szwed book if he not only addresses Ra's philosophy and schtick but also endorses it. Is that the case? I can dig it, but if I get too close to that sort of thing I feel I may slip back into a state of Ra cynicism.

Ra albums I feel may push my blast off button:

Atlantis

The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra

Super-Sonic Jazz

When Angels Speak of Love

Music From Tomorrow's World

Other Planes of There

The Magic City

Great Lost Sun Ra Albums: Cymbals & Crystal Spears

Fate in a Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out

Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy/Art Forms of Dimensions Tomorrow

Nuclear War

Sun Song

Cosmos

Visits Planet Earth/Interstellar Low Ways

Sound Sun Pleasure

We Travel the Spaceways/Bad and Beautiful

Music From Tomorrow's World

My Brother the Wind, Vol. 2

Mayan Temples

Space Towers

What album is Space Towers? Does it have an alternate title?

Year?

Never heard of that one.

I have Space Probe, but that's probably not it.

It is a comp. Everything on Space Towers came from another album. On the comp I made, I took some tracks from Space Towers, so I'm not sure which original albums they were from. I will post info on the Space Towers comp when I find it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...