Ianci Körössy (the man with many names)

couw

The MPS I picked up in a sale some time ago and enjoyed the tristano influence, though need to dig it out again, so definitely worth looking for or MPS reissuing. When I was in Prague some years ago I spent an hour listening to the local jazz output and bought a few discs. Sure I have some estonian jazz too...

There is lots of music out there if you care to look for it. Lots of forgotten gems and careers that few remember or reputations in a state of neglect.

Any others?

The MPS I picked up in a sale some time ago and enjoyed the tristano influence, though need to dig it out again, so definitely worth looking for or MPS reissuing. When I was in Prague some years ago I spent an hour listening to the local jazz output and bought a few discs. Sure I have some estonian jazz too...

There is lots of music out there if you care to look for it. Lots of forgotten gems and careers that few remember or reputations in a state of neglect.

Any others?

We could start a General Thread on Eastern Europe jazz musicians.

Who? :w

I´ll promise I´ll contribute with some Hungarian and Czech names. Well, let´s add a few Serbian... :w

I think this means that there is a solo CD out there somewhere... Now THAT is something to get excited about! :excited:

This site seems to sell it - click "Megrendeles" on top. You should find your way through it from there.

(However, don't ask me how much it costs - and please tell if you find out!)

ubu

• 2 weeks later...

Received the It's Midnight CD today.

Koeroessy%20-%20Its%20Midnight.jpg

Haven't really listened very attentive yet, but for one there are some very fine solo pieces on this disk, Ain't Misbehavin' in true Waller manner, very uplifting and nice little strides into barrelhouse... Then Körössy does his usual generous tinkering with his immaculate precision and the nice classic touches thrown in. Nice to hear him comping behind some horns.

13 Tracks are by Körössy, accompanied by various others, all from Nov. 1964. On some tracks Körössy plays organ, which is pretty cool. The remaining 7 tracks all feature Deszö "Ablakos" Lakatos on alto and soprano sax. Some very nice things here as well. The final track is a bit corny though, recorded in 1988, with orchestra and a big breasted woman singing a gospel.

BTW: "Ablakos" stands for "the spectacled," a name that would have fitted our friend as well of course... ;)

oh, and the liners mention that the Melodies de Paris disk "has no connection to jazz," whatever that may mean...

Probably that the music is on the Easy Listening side of jazz. Most of the melodies listed on that album are among the corniest French songs including 'Parlez Moi d'Amour', 'J'Attendrai' or 'Sous les Ponts de Paris'.

And many thanks to couw to enable me to discover this pianist. I didn't realise he was the piano player on the 'Zoot Sims in Atlanta' release! I enjoyed that one before getting acquainted with his earlier sides.

How is that Zoot anyhow? AMG lists it twice: once as a 2 disk set titled In a Mellow Tone, this one gets panned (link) and once as a single disk, obviously with less material (link), this one gets celebrated.

:wacko:

BTW: Körössy also seems to have made a 2LP with Beatles tunes. Also mentioned as having "no connection to jazz," in those same liners to the midnight CD.

How is that Zoot anyhow? AMG lists it twice: once as a 2 disk set titled In a Mellow Tone,

Zoot Sims is honey to me! And this one tastes excellent.

I have the 'In a Mellotone' release from 1996 on the Portuguese label Live at E.J.'s

Found the Sims, plus the Dexter Gordon and the Al Cohn from the same series at the same time. All 2CDs. All recorded at that Atlanta place that closed by 1982.

No idea what was the secret behind those releases. They also had Milt Jackson, Clark Terry, Monty Alexander sets I did not get. The sound is much better than what the AMG review implies!

The Zoot Sims 2CD set has three additional tracks 'Emily', 'All the Things You Are' and 'Girl From Ipanema' over the Storyville single CD album.

The name Korosi appears a number of times in the liner notes but his Eastern European past is not mentioned. Liked his piano playing when the 2CD appeared. Like it even more now that I know some of his history.

He is not the piano player on the Al Cohn or the Dexter Gordon sets...

• 1 month later...

Got hold of a copy of the Jazz Restitutio disk and it's another winner. Like on the Recital disk, Mr Körössy plays stunningly original versions of some standards - My Funny Valentine is worthy of particular mention - and some originals as well. All that has been said in this thread about the man holds true. Amazing album.

The support is stellar, the bassist, Räducanu seems to be a hidden master of the instrument, and Iofescu on drums does not get in anyone's way while laying down some nice pedestrian beats.

The solo stuff is just fabulous of course...

Koeroessy%20-%20Jazz%20Restitutio%201.jpg

• 1 month later...

Maybe its cause I've not got too many mp3s on my computer but i keep coming back to these mp3 tracks. Not having any access to east european vinyl. I'd lik eto hear more. These sound even better than the MPS...

Can you help, couw?

Edited by fent99

• 3 weeks later...

it seems some of our friend's bestest efforts have recently been released on CD in Japan: http://www.catfish-records.com/norma/norma.../normalist.html

NOCD 5681 is the Jazz Restitutio LP with two extra tracks (it seems)

NMCD 6003 are the two tracks from the Jazz Jamboree '61 LP discussed in this thread plus the contents of a rare 10" from the same event.

nmcd6003.jpg

1.All The Things You Are (that FABULOUS solo piece)

2.Gypsy In My Soul

3.Suita Souvenir

4.Garay Mood

5.Trallalla

6.Wodka Blues

7.Ippidippide

8.Soutnik

so, who's gonna order them and tell me whether they took that awful flutter out of the Jamboree recordings... :P

• 3 years later...