• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never have picked that one up. More details please.

Horizons seems to be Ira Sullivan's only album as leader between 1962 and 1975 - recorded in Miami after he moved there (March 2, 1967). It's by a quintet, with Sullivan playing trumpet, tenor, and soprano. The others are mostly Miami guys, and their playing is impressive: Lon Norman on trombone and baritone horn, Dolphe Castellano on piano and electric harpsichord, Bill Fry on bass, and Jose Cigno (whose playing I like very much) on drums. The program is a mix of bebop, standards, modal stuff, and "Norwegian Wood" with soprano and harpsichord. It was reissued on LP on Discovery at some point, and it looks like it came out on CD in one of the strange Collectibles pairings with a Luis Gasca album. Anyway, I like it - it shows how adventurous and wide-ranging Sullivan was.

Barney Bigard/Albert Nicholas (RCA Vintage Series) - the Albert Nicholas side. Great Harlem jazz from 1935, recorded under the names Bernard Addison, Freddy Jenkins, and The Little Ramblers. Not only is Nicholas good here, but Bernard Addison on guitar and pianist Joe Turner (the other one) are very impressive.

Never have picked that one up. More details please.

Horizons seems to be Ira Sullivan's only album as leader between 1962 and 1975 - recorded in Miami after he moved there (March 2, 1967). It's by a quintet, with Sullivan playing trumpet, tenor, and soprano. The others are mostly Miami guys, and their playing is impressive: Lon Norman on trombone and baritone horn, Dolphe Castellano on piano and electric harpsichord, Bill Fry on bass, and Jose Cigno (whose playing I like very much) on drums. The program is a mix of bebop, standards, modal stuff, and "Norwegian Wood" with soprano and harpsichord. It was reissued on LP on Discovery at some point, and it looks like it came out on CD in one of the strange Collectibles pairings with a Luis Gasca album. Anyway, I like it - it shows how adventurous and wide-ranging Sullivan was.

Curious. I have the Delmarks and used to have a beater copy of Bird Lives; still enjoy the Delmarks quite a bit.

Bennink/Mengelberg/Rutherford/Schiano - A European Proposal (Horo HDP 35-36)

EuropeanProposal_Front001.jpg

Han Bennink, drums, various percussion, cymbals, bass clarinet, fiddle, whistle, toys; Misha Mengelberg, piano; Paul Rutherford, trombone, euphonium; Mario Schiano, alto saxophone.

Finally scooped this one up. . . .

Bennink/Mengelberg/Rutherford/Schiano - A European Proposal (Horo HDP 35-36)

EuropeanProposal_Front001.jpg

Han Bennink, drums, various percussion, cymbals, bass clarinet, fiddle, whistle, toys; Misha Mengelberg, piano; Paul Rutherford, trombone, euphonium; Mario Schiano, alto saxophone.

Finally scooped this one up. . . .

Horo pressings are so bad that you won't enjoy this album. Just send it me in Atlanta so it won't give you pain....

Horo pressings are so bad that you won't enjoy this album. Just send it me in Atlanta so it won't give you pain....

The pressing on this one is great (heh heh)! :g However, the copy I picked up (from an Italian seller) advertised it as a VG+ when it is clearly a VG by Goldmine standards. That's okay. It is still a fine spin and great music. :)

The pressing on this one is great (heh heh)! :g However, the copy I picked up (from an Italian seller) advertised it as a VG+ when it is clearly a VG by Goldmine standards. That's okay. It is still a fine spin and great music. :)

Hah - that's why I rarely bid on anything below "EX" because I'll at least be assured a VG+!

I take it those Bleu Regards are boots? I have the Ak-Ba LP as well.

Not at all! Aka-Ba was Tyler's own label. He gave Bleu Regard the rights to reissue Aka-Ba's material which Bleu Regard did after the label was created in 1992.

Bleu Regard did all they could to help Tyler's final years.

Beside the Aka-Ba reissues, they also released four CDs of Tyler's music.

I take it those Bleu Regards are boots? I have the Ak-Ba LP as well.

Not at all! Aka-Ba was Tyler's own label. He gave Bleu Regard the rights to reissue Aka-Ba's material which Bleu Regard did after the label was created in 1992.

Bleu Regard did all they could to help Tyler's final years.

Beside the Aka-Ba reissues, they also released four CDs of Tyler's music.

Ah, good to know - sometimes these things are not so clear. I was going off the comment towards a "proper reissue" of these titles and thought perhaps there was something fishier than lobster at a cheap central Texas market...

Heritage of the March, Vol. 76 - music of Schroeder, Mancinelli, Nowowiejksi, and Massenet, played by the Allentown band. This volume includes some obscure non-march band music - I particularly like Cleopatra Overture by Mancinelli.

My friends are welcome to mock me for my enjoyment of this series. Trolls can kiss my ass.